Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 17 2011, 04:11 PM   #2281
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I have no problem with the characters being younger, I have a problem with atrocious and stupid dialogue which has become evident in all three issues of Justice League so far. For instance upon Wonder Woman's first foray into battle as Superman is witnessing her he notes "You're strong." Really? Yeah there was just bad dialogue all through the book.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 04:42 PM   #2282
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I have no problem with the characters being younger, I have a problem with atrocious and stupid dialogue which has become evident in all three issues of Justice League so far. For instance upon Wonder Woman's first foray into battle as Superman is witnessing her he notes "You're strong." Really? Yeah there was just bad dialogue all through the book.
Like I say, I haven't read the third one. I thought the cell phone conversation between Flash and GL in the second issue was pretty entertaining.

It's possible I have a higher threshold for bad dialogue from young people because I'm a teacher, and many of my students (quite capable at times) tend to speak in a combination of heightened rhetoric, catch phrases, and absolutes. So a young Hal Jordan calling dibs looks much like football players I've overheard at the pub. It rings a little bit true for me.

Then again, maybe Johns is just phoning it in and I'm making excuses for him!
Old November 17 2011, 04:51 PM   #2283
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Believe me I wish I was making up excuses for Johns as some of you know I've long praised his work...but it has been pretty bad so far IMO.

Old November 17 2011, 05:39 PM   #2284
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Supergirl #3: Still fairly interesting, the more I read it the more ridiculous Kara's costume looks to me, but it's not been bad.
I wonder if they plan to tweak the costume and the "S" shield to make them more like the familiar Earth-style outfit she had before.

It seems like it's finally getting into some-sort-of story and revealing some thing about the state of the world -at least in this book's version of DC Earth. The least of which being that, apparently, US's manned space program is completely defunct on the federal level and is now a private industry...
It sounds a lot like what what's happened with the end of the space shuttle program.

The trillionaire guy is fascinating. Reminds me of the TV trope I read just days ago... Fiction 500

Wonder Woman #3: This book has yet to completely capture me. The story for the last three issues has been mostly fair but nothing really stellar. It does seem, finally, that WW is taking on whatever mantle she needs to in order to take us to a status quo and, hopefully, in the next issues we'll see her back in America kicking ass and taking names. The art for the most part in this book just wasn't very good. It looked less like art for a comic book and more like art done for story-boarding a movie scene or something. There were hints of great art but mostly in the panels showing off WW herself. The art and coloring overall in it wasn't great, mostly with the villains.
I'm not too keen on the art either.

In Non-DC I also got "Ghostbusters #3"...
Funny, I glanced over and saw that issue too, but moved on.

But, again, I cannot say enough how much I like "Batman" and think it's the best of the Bat's books that are available right now.
I gave up on the Batman titles but I liked the shot of all those batmobiles in the cave in #1.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm dropping Justice League.
I liked the Wonder Woman stuff with her tasting ice cream for the first time and commenting on rock & roll. I want to see them continue the racy trend and have her discover sex with a guy but that won't go over well with readers. Guess they'll have to stick to ice cream. It's simple and non threatening.

This issue was also the first time I noticed her costume. I've been reading the Wonder Woman title, but never took a good look at what she was wearing. She's got blue boots now, a choker, a smaller tiara and a metalic belt that's pointed at the back and looks like it'll really dig into her if she arches her back.

Derishton wrote: View Post
I haven't read Justice League 3 yet, but there's seem like a disconnect between "I know the characters are supposed to be younger, rasher versions" and "I don't like how the characters are depicted out of character: there so young and rash!" I can see why people might not like the depictions, but it's not a flaw: it's the thematic point Johns is making, isn't it? I've assumed that I'm supposed to find them grating, so that the maturation process they undergo will mean more. The Aquaman of the solo title deciding he's no longer interested in ruling draws some power as a character from his self-nomination five years ago, the need to be in charge of everything.
For superheroes who are supposed to be the best of the best, they are awfully rash and impulsive. I think Batman comes off the best. Unlike everyone else, he's very rational, sharp and "on the ball", moreso than I've ever seen him in fact.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2011, 05:51 PM   #2285
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't think they'll be tweaking Kara's costume. The solitics for Feb show both present day Clark and Kara have basically the same design. The explanation for these styles is I assume going to be touched on in Action Comics when Clark gets his costume.

Old November 17 2011, 05:54 PM   #2286
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
I liked his Creeper story for Vertigo set in pre-WWI Paris. Great story, never cared for GA/BC.
Well, the story of GA/BC is typical Winick crap, but the art almost saved it.
Old November 17 2011, 07:24 PM   #2287
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
For superheroes who are supposed to be the best of the best, they are awfully rash and impulsive. I think Batman comes off the best. Unlike everyone else, he's very rational, sharp and "on the ball", moreso than I've ever seen him in fact.
I guess I think we're seeing the "best of the best" when they were still just "the first of the best." I like that becoming the best starts somewhere other than alredy being the best. They have to look imperfect so that their excellence is all the more apparent later.

I agree that Batman is written with a touch more maturity in his voice - not quite "Dad" to this bunch of overly-powerful youngsters, but a responsible uncle. I think it helps provide a reason why Batman is integral to a League composed of individuals infinitely more powerful than he is: it's not Morrison's "super-tactics", but simple experience and a level of committment. It reinforces an essential difference: Bruce Wayne wasn't handed something and he wasn't raised to take a role. He chose this lifestyle and he knows how to make it work.
Old November 17 2011, 07:35 PM   #2288
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I still had Frankenstein Agent of Shade #3 left over from last week, read that last night.

I'm really enjoying the book. The pacing and interactions are coming together well. I really felt like this issue made it feel like a team book with each character getting a few moments. The art works well for the characters being used.

I still have Resurrection Man from last week also to get to.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 03:22 AM   #2289
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

In DC-related comic book discussion, in picking up another piece of trash from the past:

JLA: "Act of God."

I feel like I've been beaten on the head with some-sort-of religious hammer from the first book alone. Oy!
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 03:33 AM   #2290
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Didn't you already read this one?
Old November 18 2011, 03:35 AM   #2291
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

No, I bought it on eBay and got them today.

Just read the first book of the three and... Oy!

And AS: Batman 1-10 I finished a couple of nights ago and is complete and utter crap. It seems I've not missed much in my absence from comics the last 10 years or so.

Why am I reading the bad stuff? Because I find it slightly entertaining.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 04:33 AM   #2292
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like the running joke in Justice League about the other characters discovering that Batman doesn't have any powers.

Also, everyone's reaction to Diana. "Dibs."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 04:22 PM   #2293
C_Miller
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
No, I bought it on eBay and got them today.

Just read the first book of the three and... Oy!

And AS: Batman 1-10 I finished a couple of nights ago and is complete and utter crap. It seems I've not missed much in my absence from comics the last 10 years or so.

Why am I reading the bad stuff? Because I find it slightly entertaining.
You did miss a lot of good stuff. But there was a lot of crap as well...
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 04:49 PM   #2294
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I like the running joke in Justice League about the other characters discovering that Batman doesn't have any powers.

Also, everyone's reaction to Diana. "Dibs."
Ugh. Juvenile dialogue plus a joke run into the ground years ago? What's next, are the heroes' tongue's going to be hanging out over sexy French maids preparing to surrender?

Actually, that might be an interesting twist.
Old November 18 2011, 08:23 PM   #2295
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Azzerello discusses Diana's new origin in this interview.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/spoi...in-111118.html