RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,677
Members: 24,203
Currently online: 815
Newest member: ResinBabes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 7 2011, 03:26 AM   #2056
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Icemizer wrote: View Post
Omac I belive suffers from an art problem as well, but as an old school guy I really like the Kirby crazyness it evokes.
I don't read OMAC, but the artist is Keith Giffen, I very much doubt there is an art problem there with him.
The coloring struck me as a little too much.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 04:31 AM   #2057
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
I liked the fact that an age of superheroes was motivating the "villains" in I, Vampire ... but more practically, with American Vampire being several shades of awesome at Vertigo, I just don't see room for another vampire title there.
Good point about American Vampire. Well, maybe an I, Vampire miniseries from Vertigo, or I wish it was at another company. I just don't see how it fits within the DCU.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 04:40 AM   #2058
DarKush
Rear Admiral

the Bottom Feeders,
After issue 1 I could tell that Voodoo was a non starter but you do have to throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks.
Captain Atom is just a mess with no direction.
The art in Hawk & Dove well thats already been discussed although the story is not to bad.
I like Blackhawks because it adds depth to the DC universe but the story is really slow.
Omac I belive suffers from an art problem as well, but as an old school guy I really like the Kirby crazyness it evokes.
Men of War is a tough sell on any level. Regular joes in a super world has limited appeal. Perhaps the call of duty crowd?
I really think Mr. terrific would have been a better fit for Justice League than Cyborg and then maybe spun off into his own title but as it stands now just push the cancel button.
Static Shock is another slow starter and really Blue Beetle is much better.
Resurrection Man has another slow story and will soon be buried again. Unless of course he ends up in Justice League Dark.
Putting Mr. Terrific in Justice League isn't a bad idea. I was thinking that they should've gone with Black Lightning instead of Cyborg (keeping Cy in the Teen Titans primarily). Captain Atom is going to be a tough sell. I thought the first issue was okay, but not gripping enough to keep me coming back. I just feel the character doesn't have much going for him beyond his look, not when you've got more dynamic characters which seem to share some of Atom's powerset.

I'm one of the few that don't mind Liefeld's artwork on Hawk & Dove. I haven't tried H&D yet because I had to draw the line somewhere.

Blue Beetle isn't perfect, but it is better than Static at present. I think Jamie's uniqueness has been better established, his supporting cast better fleshed out, and the Reach are more interesting as threats than Virgil's Slate Gang. I'm curious to see what villains he will have beyond the Reach.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:23 AM   #2059
JD
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Again if people want to bring up other books they're enjoying then they're free to do so. I think people are discussing the books they are reading and like. They're not gonna discuss books they think are boring or don't like. It's JD's call as creator of this thread, if he wants to start a Grant Morrison Action Comics thread then so be it. I don't think it is solely dominating the thread discussion.
I don't mind if people continue talking about Action here. I don't think it's taken over the thread that badly, and I intended this to be a thread for any or all of the New 52.
But I was thinking it might be a good idea to start a new thread for the whole line.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:25 AM   #2060
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Doesn't what dominates this thread tend to depend on what comics have been released in the previous few days?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:29 AM   #2061
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Batman doesn't interest me in general, but based on a number of the comments in this thread I may buy the first few issues of Batgirl.
Have you tried Batwoman? I think it's WAY better than Batgirl--which is fine, but pretty generic. Especially the art.
Eh, I disagree. I've read Batwoman 1 and 2 twice and it didn't grab me. There's quite a bit of competency in there, sure, but overall it's tone and look just didn't ring well with me, nor did the story grab me.
To each his own. I just feel, creatively, it's well beyond most comics... at least in the art department.

It may work for some, but...

Butgirl,
Freudian slip?

as I said above, is sort of fun and there's even a nice touch there with Barbra still dealing with some PTSD from her crippling injury she's now recovered from. At this point the only thing I don't like about it is her roommate at her new apartment but that's likely to be a pretty minor character.

See, I just find it bland. Been there done that. Not the PTSD, which could be more interestingly done. The art and the writing... feels... the same as anything else really...
Old November 7 2011, 05:32 AM   #2062
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Writing feels like Simone phoning it in.
Old November 7 2011, 05:43 AM   #2063
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Butgirl...
Butgirl? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway...

Voodoo #1 and #2: Love the art, especially in the first issue, for obvious reasons. The story is a fascinating one too, especially with that blond agent in pursuit of Voodoo. I'll keep reading for the eye candy and to see where things go.

Justic League Dark #1 and #2: Not the most compelling start, but I like the magic. Not too keen on most of the characters either, but I like Constantine and Zananna. Zatanna... I really like her new look. No more magician's outit and hat. She's very attractive too. I'll keep on just for the magic along with Constantine and Zatanna.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:44 AM   #2064
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think they should bring back the Will Payton Starman as written for the first 35 issues. The issue that Keith Giffen wrote (I think it was #35) is still the funniest damn comic I have ever read, even surpassing his run on JLA.
Old November 7 2011, 09:12 AM   #2065
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Another thing from Action Comics #3 that I didn't mention before that I laughed at and thought was awesome was Clark sleeping with his cape over him. Morrison wasn't kidding when he said that Clark has a Linus's blanket type attachment with his cape!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 11:48 AM   #2066
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
I think Dan Abnett or Andy Lanning would do wonders with GL just like they did with War of Kings, Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.
Agreed, Abnett and Lanning really know their cosmic stuff and I can see them including DC's other cosmic characters to build a rich tapestry. Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy lead me to believe that they would get Green Lantern back to its core concept of dealing with non-GL related stuff. There's a bigger galaxy of threats out there than just the ones created by the Guardians (Johns' run has been one Guardian mess after another from Parallax to Sinestro to the War of Light).

I don't dislike Johns' take, even now. I thought "War of the Green Lanterns" was surprisingly good. Maybe not "Sinestro Corp" good, but better than Blackest Night.

But I doubt either them or Cornell are likely to succeed Johns. The odds are it's either Pete Tomasi (whose writing is typically blood and guts) or Tony Bedard (whose writing is just uninspiring).
I like Tomasi's writing, as a whole. Yes, there is a lot of blood and guts, but also some decent storytelling. I do, however, agree that Bedard is just boring, with the exception of R.E.B.E.L.S., which was great.

I would really like for the writers to concentrate on exploring more of the other corps. I just dont think they are doing a very good job with the current writers.
At this point, they should just keep a few of the other Corps members as minor characters and just move on. It's pretty obvious we're never going to get the "War of Light" as seen at the end of "The Sinestro Corps War" as they seem to be more intent on telling stories involving the Corps working together.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 05:20 PM   #2067
C_Miller
Captain

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
For me Geoff Johns term on Green Lantern is getting old. I have credited him in the past for getting me interested in Hal Jordan (I was a Kyle Rayner and John Stewart fan) and the richness of the Green Lantern mythology as well as understanding it's place in the greater DCU but I dunno it feels stagnated to me now. I started losing interest during Blackest Night which I was incredibly disappointed by despite the potential and hype. I'm just not really feeling GL now.
Agreed. See, for me, I think Johns has already hit the peak of his career with Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corp War, and of course Black Reign and Princes of Darkness over at JSA. And I don't think is 3-book workload along with a creative consultant role is doing him any favors. And I fear that if he spends any more time as DC's main workhorse, he's going to start to lose his legacy.

Look at Bendis. A few years ago he was on top, but how he's facing constant criticisms due to his lackluster Avengers, which he's insistant on spearheading and his books are no longer instant top ten books. Claremont is the same way. He wrote X-Men for 17 years, came back wrote both titles for like a year, wrote X-treme X-Men for 4 or 5, came back to Uncanny for another 3 or 4 and then was writing fringe X-Books for a couple years. Right now his writing is just bad or at best average and it's kind of gotten to the point where people are forgetting that he was the same guy that wrote Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of Future Past. And what's going against Johns is that he hasn't written anything that good.

This may be a little extreme, but I worry about it. I don't see Johns cutting back, but I think he should.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:08 PM   #2068
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

The workload is definitely not working in his favor. I think he can do a lot better if he cut back to 2 books (Aquaman or JLA). He really should leave GL.
Old November 7 2011, 06:16 PM   #2069
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Better yet just concentrate on Aquaman. There are only so many hours in a day and having what amounts to four jobs to do just lowers the quality of all of them.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2011, 06:30 PM   #2070
C_Miller
Captain

Better yet just concentrate on Aquaman. There are only so many hours in a day and having what amounts to four jobs to do just lowers the quality of all of them.
Agreed. I actually think that out of the New 52, the one that shows the most promise is Aquaman. I haven't been impressed with GL in a long time and I can't stand Justice League to the point where I can't find a single redeeming quality to it. If he jus sticks to Aquaman, maybe he'll realize that he's a writer again.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote