Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 6 2011, 05:57 AM   #181
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm guessing Adventure Comics is not apart of the new 52 because it was originally used as the launching pad for Connor's ongoing as well as featuring the Legion of Superheroes. Both got their own books and of course now we're getting a "new" Superboy so they probably thought Adventure Comics was no longer needed.

I keep seeing fans state they think the books will revert back to their original numbering in a few months? Why think this? DC has pretty much staked the entirety of this relaunch on the basis of renumbering the two big books. DiDio has stated multiple times that was one of the things they decided to go all in on. I can't see therm refringe on that unless sales are down or a back lash happens.
My reasoning is simply based on what has happened before. Marvel and DC are infamous for reverting to original numbering. Also, a clean reboot is fine for a gimmick (to say we have all number ones) but the legacy of Action, Detective, Batman, Superman and such is just too strong. I bet money that, within two years we will see the original numbering return.

An unrelated question, do you think one should be familiar with War of the Lanterns in order to start reading the new GL? In order to understand War, do you need to know Blackest Night and Brightest Day?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 06:10 AM   #182
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ Some knowledge is required but not necessary. Blackest Night and Brightest Day set up War of the Green Lantern Corps.

I think it is silly they renumbered Action and Detective Comics because everyone knows they will revert back...I was just playing devil's advocate given the reasons for it in the first place. They keep saying renumbering those two books were integral to their decision because fans wouldn't it buy it otherwise (seriously they've said this lol) which of course has been the total opposite reaction lol.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 06:24 AM   #183
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I think it is a fine gimmick, kind of like the 0 issues with Zero Hour. Also, I can't see anybody minding 42 of the titles starting over at #1. But I wish DC just called it Number ONE month or something and reverted the essential books back to their numbering in October.

What has gotten me on board is the concept of same day digital releases (a term that sounds weirdly kinky, doesn't it?) and then the lower priced digital issues coming out only a month later. And, honestly, I think that fact alone is enough to jump start this whole thing.

Does anyone know when we are going to get figures for the digital downloads and sales for the comics?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 07:18 AM   #184
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I would guess same time as the regular monthly sales. I have no idea how they'll be calculating this.

I just checked out the preview for Justice League International #1. Is the first arc taking place in the five years ago period? It seemed like that, and was that Jackson King (AKA Battalion from Stormwatch?) representing the UN? If so this merging has the potential to be awesome.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 6 2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 6 2011, 09:03 PM   #185
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I've just read the JLI preview, and there has to be some time for both Guy and Booster to appear and to have worked together (a couple of times, if I read the dialogie right, so possibly no JLI history). So i think ti must be modern day, not five years ago.

Not convinced by the preview, but still cautiously optimistic. It's possibly moved into the "wait for price drop" category.
Old September 6 2011, 09:11 PM   #186
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

It's kind of sad in this continuity Michael never knew Ted (or one assumes).

Old September 6 2011, 09:15 PM   #187
Derishton
Vice Admiral

^ I don't see how any of Infinite Crisis works if this is true, but I guess that's Exhibit A in the "wait and see" category. The things DC is jettisoning - Superman marriage, Wally West, the Blue and Gold - seems like a group that's identical to my favorite DC things, but that's not to say there won't be good new things.
Old September 6 2011, 09:18 PM   #188
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I admit that I'm lamenting without facts...not really sure if Infinite Crisis still happened, I'm guessing not.

Old September 6 2011, 10:08 PM   #189
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Does it feel to anyone else that saying that superheroes appeared 10 years ago rather than 5 would've been better? Less Robin turnover, after all.
Old September 6 2011, 10:22 PM   #190
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Nah. This allows for the characters to be much younger. I don't really care about continuity trivia like "how many Robins can you fit in a year?"

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; September 7 2011 at 03:44 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 11:49 PM   #191
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Yes.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 11:55 PM   #192
JD
Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Money's gotten tighter than I thought it would be when I posted before, so I'm probably gonna cut down to either Detective, Action, and Batgirl, or just Detective and Batgirl.

I personally think you'll be better off with Action and Batman (if you simply want a Batman title). By all accounts Scott Snyder (Batman) can write circles around Tony Daniel (Detective).
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ Scott Synder is pretty much Grant Morrison level writing (doesn't matter if you are a Morrison fan or not). As much as I loves me some Morrison, Synder is fast becoming my favorite Batman writer. His Detective Comics run was like a love letter to Year One/The Long Halloween/Dark Victory. American Vampire is worth the read as well. I kind of wish that DC had assigned Snyder Batman and Robin. I don't like Patrick Gleason or Peter Tomasai.
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
C_Miller wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Money's gotten tighter than I thought it would be when I posted before, so I'm probably gonna cut down to either Detective, Action, and Batgirl, or just Detective and Batgirl.

I personally think you'll be better off with Action and Batman (if you simply want a Batman title). By all accounts Scott Snyder (Batman) can write circles around Tony Daniel (Detective).
Circles, Squares, Rectangles... you name it.
Oh, if that's the case I might hold off on Batman then. I'm probably gonna stick with Action and Batgirl though. I forgot about the price drop, so with in play I'll probably just do one or two new issues a week.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 12:08 AM   #193
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Obviously I'm not a collector anymore...they relaunched ALL of DC comics?????

RAMA
Old September 7 2011, 01:21 AM   #194
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

^ I've heard a rumor to that effect. Anyone here know for sure?
Old September 7 2011, 01:29 AM   #195
the G-man
Commodore

Derishton wrote: View Post
Does it feel to anyone else that saying that superheroes appeared 10 years ago rather than 5 would've been better? Less Robin turnover, after all.
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Yes.

Yes.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote