Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 29 2011, 05:12 AM   #1801
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
^ I don't think DC feels like that to be honest...as I've repeated like a broken record I still don't know why they just didn't keep Cornell on either book. I wouldn't consider Perez to be any where near one of DC's best writers. I'm still mystified why they allowed Perez this assignment only to learn a few months later that he wanted to leave the book. Just makes no sense to me.
It's possible they knew Perez would only be on board for that arc. Launching the book with a big name in the credits is a sensible idea.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 05:13 AM   #1802
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Most fans though know Perez as a marquee artist not a writer. I remember doing a WTF when I read he was writing and had forgotten about his 80's run on Wonder Woman.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 05:15 AM   #1803
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Most fans though know Perez as a marquee artist not a writer. I remember doing a WTF when I read he was writing and had forgotten about his 80's run on Wonder Woman.
Still its "GEORGE PEREZ" in those credits, no matter what the job is.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 29 2011, 05:19 AM   #1804
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

True.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 05:21 AM   #1805
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
How is Cat an "airhead oblivious to the real world" just because she isn't supposedly interested in social issues and would prefer to write gossip?
Isn't not caring about social issues and only caring gossip/celebrities pretty much the definition of "oblivious to the real world."

I mean, she shrugs off the plight of the homeless and other social issues going on in Metropolis because she'd rather deal with glitz, glamor, and celebrity. That strikes me as being pretty damn oblivious or ignorant to the real world.
No. It just makes her a bit of a bitch. She's clearly aware of it. She just doesn't seem care enough to seek out a story from it.

Still, I think the only thing that's clear is that people are reading waay too much into her cameo appearance. Then again, I suppose that's what comic book readers do.
Old October 29 2011, 05:24 AM   #1806
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
^ I don't think DC feels like that to be honest...as I've repeated like a broken record I still don't know why they just didn't keep Cornell on either book. I wouldn't consider Perez to be any where near one of DC's best writers. I'm still mystified why they allowed Perez this assignment only to learn a few months later that he wanted to leave the book. Just makes no sense to me.
It's possible they knew Perez would only be on board for that arc. Launching the book with a big name in the credits is a sensible idea.
I think they are running out of writers they can trust to put on their top book or the writers they have are refusing the jobs because of editorial mandates. Hawkman, Firestorm, Flash all have artists turned writers doing writing chores. Already Firestorm and Superman have their two writer-artists leaving and we know that Perez already had editorial conflicts after his name was announced for the Superman book.
Old October 29 2011, 05:42 AM   #1807
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Van Sciver's leaving Firestorm?

I was unware that there were conflicts between Perez and his editors.
Old October 29 2011, 05:54 AM   #1808
Mike Farley
Commodore

If Van Sciver leaves Firestorm I might have to give that book another chance.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 06:02 AM   #1809
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
I think they are running out of writers they can trust to put on their top book or the writers they have are refusing the jobs because of editorial mandates. Hawkman, Firestorm, Flash all have artists turned writers doing writing chores. Already Firestorm and Superman have their two writer-artists leaving and we know that Perez already had editorial conflicts after his name was announced for the Superman book.
Fairness corner: Manapul knocked that shit out of the park. I'm not even going to qualify it with "especially considering it was his first comic." Flash #1 was just a solid piece of work. Made people with hundreds of comics under their belts look like scrubs.

I don't even know why anyone signed off on a Hawkman book that doesn't have anything to do with the only interesting aspect of Hawkman there is. Granted, I didn't read it, but that's accurate right? No mention of reincarnation? I don't think Hawkwoman is in it. It's just this bird man who hits people with a mace. The flying, the macing? The candles on the cake. You don't make the whole cake out of candle wax.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 06:10 AM   #1810
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Fairness corner: Manapul knocked that shit out of the park. I'm not even going to qualify it with "especially considering it was his first comic." Flash #1 was just a solid piece of work. Made people with hundreds of comics under their belts look like scrubs.
Plus, didn't Manapul have writing experience previously? Granted, nothing as high-profile as Flash, but I think he did come from a writing background.
Old October 29 2011, 06:15 AM   #1811
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

My dim memory of some thirdhand account indicated it was his first writing gig. I suppose I could be wrong.

ETA: his Wikipedia bibliography suggests no previous writing experience. Could be incomplete; it actually suggests not a huge amount of drawing experience. So he's a double-wunderkind? I take it all back. Fuck Manapul. I hate people who are too talented.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 11:31 AM   #1812
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

I don't even know why anyone signed off on a Hawkman book that doesn't have anything to do with the only interesting aspect of Hawkman there is. Granted, I didn't read it, but that's accurate right? No mention of reincarnation? I don't think Hawkwoman is in it. It's just this bird man who hits people with a mace. The flying, the macing? The candles on the cake. You don't make the whole cake out of candle wax.
I loved that period when they were making full use of the fact that he had a number of past lives and could remember them - it gave it a sort of highlander/immortal warrior vibe which is far more interesting than this 'Hawkman as venom' angle they are now going for.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 03:27 PM   #1813
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

My dim memory of some thirdhand account indicated it was his first writing gig. I suppose I could be wrong.
Well, I'm not 100% sure myself. According to this, apparently he did do some writing when he was at Top Cow.
Old October 29 2011, 03:40 PM   #1814
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I'm not seeing any difference between the writing on this Batgirl comic and the previous one.
Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl was fun. Stephanie Brown was snarky, and though some of her adventures were harrowing, there was an undercurrent of fun and hope.

Gail Simone's Batgirl is grim. Barbara Gordon is somewhat dour, and her adventures have been, thus far, rather dark. There's not a lot of fun.

Stephanie kissed Klarion the Witch Boy and hunted holographic Draculas with Supergirl. Barbara fights serial killers. That, in a nutshell, is the difference between the two books.

I disagree. I think the flying and the mace is the most interesting thing about Hawkman. The reincarnation is a late retcon that I think was wholly unnecessary.

I understand why the reincarnation angle was added -- it was to make sense of the hay that DC had made of the Hawkman concept thanks to multiple reboots of the concept -- but that's not why I read a Hawkman comic. I read a Hawkman comic because I want to see a guy, dressed up like a Hawk, flying around and beating the crap out of people with a giant spiky mace.

It also helps if said Hawkman is from the planet Thanagar.

But that's not a direction DC wants to go anymore.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 04:47 PM   #1815
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Newsarama's top ten things they don't like about the New 52. They also have a link on the introduction page with things they do like. I think I agree with all ten of their points.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-t...52-111028.html
Much of this list only makes sense if the authors aren't reading the majority of non-Batman/Justice League titles. It's the usual comic book myopia.