Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 27 2011, 11:47 PM   #1726
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I dunno, Claremont could write some pretty clunky dialog.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2011, 11:51 PM   #1727
davejames
Vice Admiral

Wonder Woman still has me fairly intrigued (almost feels like she's landed in a dark, mythical Hellboy story), but it would be nice to see her interacting more with the real world at some point.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:08 AM   #1728
Wereghost
Commodore

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
I dunno, Claremont could write some pretty clunky dialog.
That's a common criticism of Claremont, but personally I kind of liked his verbosity. He did like to narrate quite a lot on X-Men and FF, and his characters could get very wordy and sound more like him than themselves, but IMHO he was good at it. Perez's dialogue in Supes #2 feels like he really needs to work on economising it.

davejames wrote: View Post
Wonder Woman still has me fairly intrigued (almost feels like she's landed in a dark, mythical Hellboy story), but it would be nice to see her interacting more with the real world at some point.
I'm liking Wonder Woman so far. But then again, maybe it's just the freedom afforded by the digital format. (In other words, I wouldn't have been caught dead with a physical copy under my arm. The Paul Dini / Alex Ross one-shot from almost 10 years ago (gasp) was the only issue with Wonder Woman in the title that I'd previously bought.) Anyway, Vaughan is a very solid writer and the visual presentation is elegant if not showy, so I'm thinking that on an artistic level this one is more likely to swim than sink.

Last edited by Wereghost; October 28 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:12 AM   #1729
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I got Wonder Woman 2 and I'm feeling unimpressed, it may be a title I stop following. I'd be more interested in it if she was more quickly getting to, as you say, "the real world."

I did like how her "origin story" was told in #2, though.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:29 AM   #1730
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Wonder Woman has turned out to be one of my favourite books and I didn't think it would be given the premise and the tone of the book. This is one of Azzerello's best works. The art is pretty good as well. Diana looks great and I love the infusion of Greek Mythology.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 12:42 AM   #1731
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The art work in it is very good but the storyline and setting haven't captured me.
Old October 28 2011, 12:51 AM   #1732
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

London and Paradise Island? ( plus where ever that girl was living)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 28 2011, 12:59 AM   #1733
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm sure that the second arc will be more a traditional adventure based arc. This first arc is about the girl though Diana found and seems to be a plot device really to introduce us to the 52'Verse version and reveal her new origin.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 01:03 AM   #1734
davejames
Vice Admiral

Artwork is a little too simple and barebones for my taste. Jim Lee makes the new costume look sexy as hell, but here that doesn't really come across at all. It looks like she's wearing a thick vest or something.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 02:04 AM   #1735
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Preview of Action Comics #3 with Jor-el, Lara and Krypto?
Old October 28 2011, 02:11 AM   #1736
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Okay, I got Batgirl #1 and #2 and quite enjoyed it. I don't care about the "loss" of Oracle or Barbra Gordon no longer being a paraplegic; while I can understand why that would be a problem for long-time fans, it doesn't bother me greatly.

The Batgirl comic seems like a pretty decent one.

I will say I don't much like BG's roommate right now what with her "Oh, you gave me your name in the typical last-name first, then say the full name manner. So I'm going to call you by that whole thing from now on, or as a initialism because I'm just a loon like that!" Just call her "Barbra", roommate.
Old October 28 2011, 02:12 AM   #1737
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Artwork is a little too simple and barebones for my taste. Jim Lee makes the new costume look sexy as hell, but here that doesn't really come across at all. It looks like she's wearing a thick vest or something.
Aw, I like Cliff Chiang's work. He was the only post-Hester/Parks artist who could make Winick's Green Arrow tolerable.

Wonder Woman is my first-ever digital comic, and I enjoyed it. I am trying to convince myself that I cannot afford to also follow Justice League Dark.
Old October 28 2011, 02:16 AM   #1738
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Chiang can do more with a single line than Lee and others can do with a million cross-hatches.
Old October 28 2011, 02:17 AM   #1739
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

^Thats very true.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Okay, I got Batgirl #1 and #2 and quite enjoyed it. I don't care about the "loss" of Oracle or Barbra Gordon no longer being a paraplegic; while I can understand why that would be a problem for long-time fans, it doesn't bother me greatly.

My problem isn't that Barbara can walk. I was actually looking forward to it since you had Gail Simone onboard. My problem is that Batgirl is just a badly written comic.
Old October 28 2011, 02:19 AM   #1740
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

My problem isn't that Barbara can walk. I was actually looking forward to it since you had Gail Simone onboard. My problem is that Batgirl is just a badly written comic.
Eh, it didn't seem too badly written to me. BG getting "stage fright" when the gun was pointed at her was kind of interesting as is her internal monologue.

But see my above edit on how her roommate is, that I don't like too much. The rest isn't too bad and the current heavy seems interesting. Sort of like a Bat-Universe version of "Death" in the "Final Destination" movies.