Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2011, 06:50 AM   #1516
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

It's not the height of negativity to say that DC fucked the chicken with most of their decisions here.

What they did in September will become as synonymous with cockeyed backward thinking as Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

I think it's probable that half of these books will be cancelled by issue 4.

Then they'll be forced to launch a new imprint called classi... Oh? Retro DC?

How can you call an new imprint "retro" when it's all just cancelled last month books?

I did like the Blackest Night plus one books that gave all those cancelled books from the 80s one more issue.

It's not too late.

Dan can admit his mistake and wash their hands of this new 52 bollocks.

This is still not the height of negativity.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; October 19 2011 at 07:00 AM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 10:56 AM   #1517
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Damn, comics shop missed half my pull from last week and their credit card system was down. No comics for me.
It never ceases to amaze me how amateur a lot of comic shops are compared to other small retailers - I was talking to the owner of a comic store once about stock control system and he was amazed that "there is a computer that does that?"
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 11:01 AM   #1518
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

shop I worked in used microsoft outlook to cross reference the comics with each other and the box holders and their comics... It was all so simply elegant. On the other side of town the other shop was using and probably is still using little pieces of cardboard with instructions written in blue pen.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz

Last edited by Guy Gardener; October 19 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 01:03 PM   #1519
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

So after reading all 52 #1's there are only ten books that did not grab me enough to continue picking them up.
Captain Atom, Green Arrow, My Greatest Adventure, Mister Terrific, I Vampire, Grifter, Voodoo, Men of War, Static Shock and Legion Lost.
There are 8 books that are teetering on the cusp and need serious help or issue 3 will be the end. Batwing, Birds of Prey, Red Lanterns, Resurrection Man, Storm Watch, OMAC, Justice League Dark and Hawk & Dove.
The remaining 34 seem solid enough now and through the issue #5 solicits. Oddly these amount to mostly what I was pulling previous to the relaunch.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 01:31 PM   #1520
Mr Light
Admiral

^^ You sir must be loaded to buying that many comics

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 02:11 PM   #1521
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
So after reading all 52 #1's there are only ten books that did not grab me enough to continue picking them up.
Captain Atom, Green Arrow, My Greatest Adventure, Mister Terrific, I Vampire, Grifter, Voodoo, Men of War, Static Shock and Legion Lost.
There are 8 books that are teetering on the cusp and need serious help or issue 3 will be the end. Batwing, Birds of Prey, Red Lanterns, Resurrection Man, Storm Watch, OMAC, Justice League Dark and Hawk & Dove.
The remaining 34 seem solid enough now and through the issue #5 solicits. Oddly these amount to mostly what I was pulling previous to the relaunch.
I'm hoping a lot of these books eventually just get cancelled. I'm looking at Red Lanterns, Red Hood, Hawk and Dove, Captain Atom, Firestorm, Static Shock, Deathstroke, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, Grifter, Blackhawks, Terrifice and Voodoo in particular. The salvageable ones like Detective, JLD/JLI, Titans and Legion probably need change in writers.
Old October 19 2011, 02:42 PM   #1522
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

A lot of them will be, and they'll be replaced by other some of which will be canceled, etc until they have a more stable line.

This whole nuDC 52 thing is working really well, so far. Didio's got nothing to "admit" here, and they're not going to go back to the old status quo for the simple reason that it was failing. At this point Didio's bosses wouldn't stand for it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 03:19 PM   #1523
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I think it's probable that half of these books will be cancelled by issue 4.
Given that DC has solicited all 52 through issue #5, I think that prediction is highly unlikely to come to pass...

On a different note, Red Hood and the Outlaws #2 was pretty enjoyable. You don't even need to have read issue #1, and the sexualization of Kory from issue #1 doesn't carry over into issue #2. I really like Lobdell's characterization of Jason as, essentially, a harder-edged Bruce Wayne (and Red Hood: The Lost Years is still in continuity), and there's something fun about Roy Harper as a slacker fratboy hero. Plus, Rocafort draws a lovely Talia al-Ghul.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 03:29 PM   #1524
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I still think a book about Roy teaching Connor the joys of heroin would have been more fun.

Anyway, I assume that Captain Marvel backup and any new book that winds up spinning out of it's still gonna be called Power of Shazam? It amazes me that DC still permits Marvel to call that shot, given how much leverage DC could theoretically exercise (and since 85 could have exercised) against them. An infringement claim against the Squadron Supreme might be waived by now, but it sure would be unfortunate if someone filed for an injunction to prevent republication of that famous book about the guy who says a magic word and is granted powers. Maybe we'll let you call it Power of Kimota when we're done.

Also, I was reading some more crap about Red Hood, and it occurred to me: isn't the point of casual sex that you can tell the people you're fucking apart? I mean, there's no use in having two identical sexbots. Well, there's one use, but that didn't come up in the book.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 03:33 PM   #1525
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The reviews of Justice League #2 are pretty positive - I'll read it this evening.
Old October 19 2011, 04:10 PM   #1526
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I still think a book about Roy teaching Connor the joys of heroin would have been more fun.

Anyway, I assume that Captain Marvel backup and any new book that winds up spinning out of it's still gonna be called Power of Shazam? It amazes me that DC still permits Marvel to call that shot, given how much leverage DC could theoretically exercise (and since 85 could have exercised) against them. An infringement claim against the Squadron Supreme might be waived by now, but it sure would be unfortunate if someone filed for an injunction to prevent republication of that famous book about the guy who says a magic word and is granted powers. Maybe we'll let you call it Power of Kimota when we're done.
DC and Marvel have ripped off each other so much that your proposal idea would only cause volleys of countersuits from Disney.
Old October 19 2011, 04:30 PM   #1527
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I dunno. It seems most of it went Marvel's way. I'm not really familiar with any long-running DC expies on the scale of Squadron Supreme. One-shot and clearly joke characters may be protected by parody, and a character like Mongul was obviously influenced by (and created by the same guy as) Thanos, but he's not very similar. Squadron Supreme is way infringing though. Just tolerated.

So is Miracleman; explicitly so, since Mick Anglo just slapped a new name and costume onto Captain Marvel and somewhat retooled the concept to make him more British, more sciency and not in direct defiance of the infringement suit already leveled against Fawcett.

While it's probably the case he failed to distinguish the character any further from Superman (than he already was, the appellate order viz. National Comics Publ. being a shit of a decision), but he definitely failed to distance him from Capt. Marvel.

In any event, I'd offer a nominal sum to license the name first.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 05:13 PM   #1528
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captain Marvel has always been a hardluck case in the copyright arena. When he was first developed by Fawcett he was going to be "Captain Thunder" in "Flash Comics" or "Thrill Comics". But Fawcett was beaten to the punch by other comics using those names so they had to settle on "Captain Marvel" and "Whiz Comics". Marvel staked a claim on "Marvel" back in the late thirties with "Marvel Mystery Comics", so once the Captain Marvel copyright lapsed they could claim that only Marvel could use "Marvel" as a comic's name. Which is why the Shazam comic of the seventies had to drop the "Captain Marvel" tagline on it's covers.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 05:13 PM   #1529
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Duplicate
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 07:30 PM   #1530
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

So basically it sounds as if the argument is more about protecting the word "Marvel" as a trademark in marketing comics than an issue of copyright infringement.