Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old April 18 2015, 09:20 AM   #1
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Countdown To Avengers and Ant-Man

As most of you are probably aware, there will be an Avengers Marathon event held at AMC and Regal Theaters. While I don't have the time, money or patience to sit in a theater for 29 hours to watch 10 movies. I totally have the will to sit a home and do my own marathon of the movies.

Admittedly I haven't watched most of these movies since I bought them. So this marathon will be good to relive the highs and lows of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As well prep for the 2 new upcoming MCU films.

I decided to make it a group event. I want us all to share our experiences. I'll be starting Iron Man 1 later today and giving my thoughts and rating about it. Feel free to participate and leave your own feedback.

Oh and Avengers ASSEMBLE!!!

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; April 18 2015 at 09:32 AM.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Countdown To Avengers and Ant-Man

I have no idea if anywhere here is doing that. Myself and a few friends are seeing Age of Ultron at 21:00hrs on Thursday (23rd) though!

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Ethros
Vice Admiral

In the UK Vue Cinemas are doing a mini marathon on the Wednesday evening- Avengers 1, Cap: Winter Soldier, and Avengers 2 showing at midnight.

But I can't really be bothered tbh, my friend and I are going Thursday afternoon, so only 5 days to go!
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2015, 10:47 PM   #4
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Rating 10/10

Just finished and I had an amazing time. I forgot how much I liked this movie. I remember watching and rewatching back when I bought it in 2008. It's amazing to see how much has changed between then in now. Not just with the MCU but with RDJ's performance as Stark. It might be premature but I think Iron Man 1 is the best of the Iron Man trilogy.

Next up The Incredible Hulk. I have to work 7pm - 12am, so I'll catch it tomorrow.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; April 19 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 18 2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

My wife and I have actually been doing the same thing(we're up to the 1st season of AoS so far)

My thoughts on Iron Man were a bit different. I still really like it, especially the parts with Yinsen, but I was surprised to find I thought the movie dragged a bit in the middle. Specifically the building the suit and the F-22 scenes. I just could not wait for them to be over. Obadiah still holds up as one of the better Marvel villains, and thh "I am Iron Man" ending is great but not the breath of fresh air it was in 2008. I'm going to say 8/10.

Also note the continuity issues with SHIELD clearly being a new organisation in this one.

Edit: I also don't care for Chekhov's high altitude icing. Both scenes could be cut and the film would play out exactly the same.

Last edited by Magellan; April 19 2015 at 02:01 AM.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2015, 11:56 PM   #6
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Also note the continuity issues with SHIELD clearly being a new organisation in this one.
Something I did notice in "Melinda" was that in the flashbacks Coulson used the long-form name rather than the abbreviation.
Old April 19 2015, 12:53 AM   #7
lizlovestrek
Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is a cool idea to get ready for Avengers 2, I think I'm only missing The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 3 so I will still be able to have a good pre-avengers experience.
lizlovestrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2015, 01:55 AM   #8
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I started doing something like this several weeks back with the intention of watching one film a week, but have fallen a couple behind at this point.

M.A.C.O. wrote: View Post
It might be premature but I think Iron Man 1 is the best of the Iron Man trilogy.
Premature? I thought that much was generally understood.

That said, IM2 has grown on me somewhat with home video viewing, particularly in the aftermath of IM3. IM2 perhaps isn't as tight and well-executed as it could be, but some of the story elements make it a worthy follow-up to the first film, and I have no problem with the Avengers set-up elements...after letting that tease simmer for two years, the audience was due for some payoff.

My preferred watching order is IM2, then TIH, since the Stark scene at the end of TIH is supposed to take place after IM2. TIH has become the most awkward of the Phase 1 films for me, thanks largely to the recasting...not so much of Banner, as each actor owns the role in his own way, but of the Hulk...the Norton Hulk has become a bit of an eyesore to me, I much prefer Ruffalo Hulk. This issue is compounded by how this film low-balls the Hulk's power level a bit. Still, there's some good character set-up that informs Ruffalo's version of the character in The Avengers, largely in subtle ways...but oy, that great big dangling Leader thread that will probably never be followed up on....

I've considered Thor to be my favorite of the Phase 1 solo films since it came out, but my viewing experience this time was a little off...I just wasn't as into it as I was in previous viewings. Still, I think it gets a bad rap...it's a good, fun film.

Cap, OTOH, underwhelmed me when I first saw it in the theater (it was the fourth superhero film of the summer for me, and that included having to endure GL after Thor...). It's proven to be the MCU film that's grown on me the most with home video viewing, however...a good, solid superhero flick with its heart in the right place. Story elements that I was lukewarm about the first time around (HYDRA, the cube) were paid off in subsequent installments.

That brings me up to date. Now...put in The Avengers, or keep watching Daredevil...?
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2015, 11:56 AM   #9
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Rating 8/10

Another good start up MCU film. I think what I liked best about this film is that it captures the vibe of the old 80's show. Edward Norton's Bruce Banner I really dig. Shame Marvel has completely dropped a follow to the obvious Leader (Samuel Stern) and his army of Gamma Mutates. Blonsky and Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross are standouts as villains. Highly enjoyable and menacing.

Rating 5.5/10

While I think the film is ambitious, it doesn't reach the height of it's predecessor. I think the set-up for Avengers really did drag the film down in parts. Sort of like how The Hobbit movies set their story on pause in order to reference Lord of The Rings. It certainly wasn't boring though, so there's that. Although it does feel padded out in places.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; April 19 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old April 19 2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Mage
Commodore

The Incredible Hulk is a hugely underrated movie, that has more heart going for it than some people give it credit for, and a very satisfying Hulk vs. Abomination fight. General Ross is amazingly ruthless and heartless, caring for nothing except having the upper hand. Tim Roth is always a pleasure to watch.

Iron Man 2 is probably the weakest of all the MCU movies, for me personally. Enough eye-candy, and it was the introduction of Black Widow, who quickly became a fanfavorite character. But Whiplash was the most underwhelming villian sofar, together with the Dark Elf from Thor 2 who's name I can't spell and can't be bothered to look up right now. Cheadle as Rhodey was fantastic though, and the suitecase armor was a blast.
Old April 19 2015, 02:03 PM   #11
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Malekith. Considering that match-up of that Walt Simonson character to Christopher Eccleston...well, I have to admit that I was expecting more as well from that.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2015, 02:07 PM   #12
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Rating 7.5/10

Fun romp. Could've used more of Thor on Asgard or in the Nine Realms. I had fun the first time watching it I enjoyed the parts with Thor running around on Earth with Jane, Darcy and Erik but now I find those scenes tedious. There not offensive or bad, just out of place in a swords and sorcery type movie. Thor The Dark World made out a lot better in this regard.

Last edited by M.A.C.O.; April 19 2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old April 19 2015, 02:12 PM   #13
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Something I did notice in "Melinda" was that in the flashbacks Coulson used the long-form name rather than the abbreviation.
I'll never understand what SHIELD is in the MCU. There's a bit in Thor: The Dark World where this exchange happens-
DARCY: Jane isn’t calling me back, Erik isn’t calling me back, stupid SHIELD isn’t calling me back!
IAN: What’s SHIELD?
DARCY: It’s a secret.

Right... I know he's not American, but he doesn't know what Shield is?? That would be like someone in real life going "The FBI? Who?" or "The CIA? Who?"
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2015, 02:12 PM   #14
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

DEWLine wrote: View Post
Malekith. Considering that match-up of that Walt Simonson character to Christopher Eccleston...well, I have to admit that I was expecting more as well from that.
Yeah Alan Taylor talked about that in a few articles after the movie came out. He had shot a lot of Dark Elf material that ended up on the cutting room floor. He said that the executives at Marvel told him to push more Loki into the film. TPTB of course wanting to capitalize on Loki's runaway popularity. Taylor said he had hoped for an extended cut of The Dark World but no word of that happening yet or at all.
Old April 19 2015, 03:49 PM   #15
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Vanko wasn't my favorite villain, but he had some character and an interesting rivalry with Tony going...Malekith was just a cypher.

M.A.C.O. wrote: View Post
Could've used more of Thor on Asgard or in the Nine Realms. I had fun the first time watching it I enjoyed the parts with Thor running around on Earth with Jane, Darcy and Erik but now I find those scenes tedious.
Funny...it was the opposite for me this last viewing. It seemed like the Asgard part in the front of the film took too long to get through, and the Earth stuff seemed to whiz by too fast.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote