Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 16 19.75%
A 20 24.69%
A- 17 20.99%
B+ 9 11.11%
B 5 6.17%
B- 5 6.17%
C+ 3 3.70%
C 2 2.47%
C- 1 1.23%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 3 3.70%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 4 2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Agent Richard07
Retired

INTERSTELLAR - Grading & Discussion

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Interstellar opens on Tuesday November 4th in select theatres
and gets a wide release starting Thursday November 6th.

Why Theater Owners Aren't Happy About Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar' Film Initiative

After spending millions to convert their cinemas to digital at Hollywood's behest, theaters are being asked to roll back the clock — that is, if they want early access to Christopher Nolan's Interstellar, starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain.

On Wednesday, Paramount and Warner Bros. said theaters still equipped to project 35mm and 70mm film will get Nolan's Interstellar two days early, on Nov. 5, including 41 Imax locations.

Nolan, who has a strong relationship with exhibitors, is a fierce advocate of film, and he's got enough clout with studios to make his passion a reality, but theater owners say the Interstellar experiment sends a confusing message. Nearly all of the country's cinemas have been converted to digital as Hollywood studios cease sending film prints. Read the whole thing.
'Interstellar's' Christopher Nolan, Stars Gather to Reveal Secrets of the Year's Most Mysterious Film

The director, along with stars Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain, open up about the leaking space suit that almost led to hypothermia ("At some point, I wasn't sure if I could feel my toes," says Hathaway), their thoughts on space travel (McConaughey: "I'm up for the risk") and their doomsday prophecies.

Watch the 26-minute roundtable discussion here.
Anne Hathaway's Very Embarrassing Night at Matthew McConaughey's House

"I have a story and it's kind of embarrassing," the Les Misérables actress said.

It sure is.

McConaughey invited Hathaway and her husband Adam Shulman to his L.A.-area home for a party.

"My husband and I drive up. It's a Sunday. It's a beautiful day," Hathaway said. "There are no cars around and we thought, OK, we're on time. We're on time for once."

McConaughey greeted them at the door with a big smile on his face.

"Matthew goes, 'Yeah, you gotta come in,'" Hathaway recalled. "Matthew turns around, again [with] a smile and goes, 'The party was last night.'"

Oops.

Oops indeed!
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: INTERSTELLAR - Grading & Discussion

I saw the movie. Great science fiction both visually and story-wise, great leads and it didn't feel like 3 hours but it did gloss over complex issues. That was the weak spot in an otherwise engaging film.

A few teases but no spoilers…

Act I: A good start that shows us the state of the world in the near future. I found it interesting because I can see our society headed in that direction as the population grows, apathy grows, and short-sightedness with regards to how we handle technology and resources catches up with us. Is what the movie showed us too far-fetched? Maybe the part with McConaughey's chatacter in the school was but the rest? Not necessarily. This act also plays out in such a way that you wonder how McConaughey will ever end up in space.

Act II: Some of the best science fiction I've seen on film because it was real science fiction without a lot of the fantastical elements that you'd see in most other shows and films. You've seen the clips. And while it felt like a real exploratory mission to other planets, I did wonder why our characters thought that the environments that we saw were worth a closer look.

Act III: Now the movie goes into some gripping edge-of-your seat drama with a few surprises.

The last 20 minutes or so: The movie takes quite a turn and things start coming together. I won't spoil it. I'll just say that it's not at all like Act II. Do pay attention to some of the stuff in Act I with the daughter though.

A few more thoughts…

• The movie reminded me of Solaris and 2001.

• Like I said, Nolan's tendency to gloss over things brought the movie down a bit but maybe I'll get more out of it with repeat viewings. I did with The Dark Knight.

• Matthew McConaughey delivered the charm and the humor. His performance is a big part of what makes this movie enjoyable to watch. It's nice to see that he's had a bit of a career resurgance after a decade or so of rom-coms.

• Last year, we got Sandra Bullock and this year we get Anne Hathaway. You'll like her too.

• I wonder if they wanted to call this movie "Gravity". You'll see why.

• People rarely stay until the end credits are finished, even when there's supposed to be a post credit scene, but the audience I was with did. I wonder why. Was it the score? Who knows. It was a decent score. I don't remember it but I liked it when I heard it.

• The music in parts was pretty loud and almost drowned out some of the dialog.

More later. I look forward to everyone else's reaction.
Old November 5 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Alright, alright, alright. Looking forward to seeing this this weekend!
Old November 5 2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Christopher Nolan sure likes his women dead, doesn't he?

Coop is raising his two children—whip-smart daughter Murph (Mackenzie Foy) and barely sketched son Tom (Timothée Chalamet)—with the help of Donald (John Lithgow), the father of his late wife. (For those keeping score, this brings the dead wife count in Nolan’s movies up to five, plus Rachel Dawes, who functions as a de facto dead wife in the Dark Knight films.)

(The AV Club)
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Agent Richard07
Retired

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Alright, alright, alright. Looking forward to seeing this this weekend!
Here's something to tide you over...

Highlights: Michael Caine is still funny and Anne Hathaway likes the new Battestar Galactica, and one character in particular.

Gaith wrote: View Post
Correlative observation: No one really falls in love in Nolan movies, do they? They either don't love anyone or already love (and/or mourn) someone.
Yeah, pretty much.

And Sci posted something else in your thread that has some truth to it.

That said, he did do pretty well with Anne Hathaway's character.
Old November 6 2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
it was real science fiction without a lot of the fantastical elements that you'd see in most other shows and films.
And pry tell how can sci-fi that kind of started with stories about fantastically things like time travel and trips to the center of the planet only be a real sci-fi becuase it ditches said fantastical elements?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2014, 12:07 AM   #7
BigJake
Rear Admiral

^ This is a standard "conversation"-starter from you, and it feels like it shouldn't be. Not to be harsh or anything, but I'm pretty sure there are sites where you can go to have the basic rules of writing science fiction explained to you without pestering the OP about it.

Agent, thanks for the post. I'm trying to decide this week between Interstellar and John Wick for movie-going. I'm kind of leaning Interstellar now.
Old November 6 2014, 01:41 AM   #8
Agent Richard07
Retired

I used "real science fiction" to distinguish this movie from things like Star Trek and whatnot. Doing a quick search, I'd say that "hard science fiction" is a better description for the mission in this movie because of its adherence to what we know of real world concepts. The works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and even Star Trek seem to be closer to "soft science fiction". So I guess it's all real sci fi after all. In the end though, definitions keep changing and a lot of works are hard to categorize because they contain a broad spectrum of real and not so real elements.
Old November 6 2014, 04:23 PM   #9
chrisspringob
Commodore

I loved it. Voted "A" rather than "A+" because it did have some flaws and I don't give out A+s willy nilly, but it was definitely the best movie I've seen in a while.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2014, 04:27 PM   #10
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I used "real science fiction" to distinguish this movie from things like Star Trek and whatnot. Doing a quick search, I'd say that "hard science fiction" is a better description for the mission in this movie because of its adherence to what we know of real world concepts. The works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and even Star Trek seem to be closer to "soft science fiction". So I guess it's all real sci fi after all. In the end though, definitions keep changing and a lot of works are hard to categorize because they contain a broad spectrum of real and not so real elements.
Only on a Star Trek website would individuals quibble about what is, "science fiction," and what is, "hard science fiction," versus something else.

To the average movie goer and virtually everyone else on the planet, Interstellar is as much a, "science fiction," film as a Star Wars movie.

On topic: I cannot wait to see this movie this weekend.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ There are different flavors of sci fi and it doesn't hurt to reiterate that this isn't like Star Wars or to elaborate when asked.

I gave the movie an A-. I felt like docking a few points because I thought that it glossed over a few things. It did have a good ending though. It gave enough answers and I was satisfied with the outcome to the story. I look forward to seeing this again but I can wait.

And to BigJake, John Wick is a pretty decent film, one that people should check out, but I'd go with Interstellar so that you can join the discussion.
Old November 6 2014, 06:07 PM   #12
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

2001: A Space Odyssey meets Contact (which ironically also featured McConaughey :P ), done Nolan-style.

Overall, it's not as great as 2001, but better than Contact.

The acting was solid, the science was hard, it sure had a lot of emotions. Maybe a few moments here and there that came across as a bit goofy. But overall it didn't diminish the experience IMO.

Last edited by Ensign_Redshirt; November 6 2014 at 10:38 PM.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Relayer1
Commodore

I'm really unenthusiastic about this movie but have been told I'm going by Mrs Relayer and Jr., so it's good to see it's getting good ratings from you guys.

Still doesn't appeal though...
Old November 6 2014, 08:33 PM   #14
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I absolutely loved it. I could go and on about the beauty, elegance, adventure, science and mystery of "Interstellar," but for now (and until I can gather my thoughts for a coherent review, probably after a second viewing), I will just say this: I was profoundly reminded of Paul Simon's "Father and Daughter."

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Relayer1
Commodore

Having seen all of Nolans movies from Batman Begins onwards and only really liked one (The Dark Knight), do you think I'll enjoy this one ?