TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

View Poll Results: Favorite Race
Kazon 0 0%
Viidian 15 55.56%
Hirogen 5 18.52%
Borg 5 18.52%
Species 8472 0 0%
Voth 0 0%
Krenim 1 3.70%
Other 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24 2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Capt Josh
Ensign

Favorite Delta Quadrant Antagonists

Who was your favorite foil species for Voyagers crew? Which do you wish were developed more/larger screen time?

Kazons
Viidians
Hirogens
Borg
Species 8472
Voth
Krenim
Other
Capt Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Mage
Commodore

Re: Favorite Delta Quadrant Antagonists

Difficult.... I loved the entire concept of the Viidians, that they aren't evil by nature but are forced to perform these gruesome acts for survival. However, so many times we see them they are simple the bad guys, with only one or two exceptions.

The Kazon, again, had a good concept. Based on streetgangs, they fight amongst sects and other aliens. I appreciated them more now that I'm watching Voyager for the second time then I did when watching Voyager years ago for the first time.

Hirogen were pretty cool, interesting social structure, but also a bit bland in execution, mostly very 2 dimensional.

The Borg.... I'm going to reserve judgement here untill I've rewatched Voyager to it's end. I was a bit displeased the first time watching Voyager, since the Borg seemed more gimmicky then true adversaries. But now, early in season 4, they are still quite edgy.

Species 8472: I dunno.... I suppose they were pretty creapy when we first saw them, but they got a bit goofy IMO later on.

The Voth were great for a single episode, but I'm glad they were only that; a one time species. It was a fun concept, but revisiting them to often would get a bit wacky. C'mon, dino's in space?

We never really saw the Krenim for who they really are, did we? We only dealt with Annorax and his crew. The Krenim them selves were also altered during Annorax' tempering. Only at the end of the Year Of Hell do we get a glimpse of how they are in the 'proper' timeline, and they aren't epicly powerfull or anything. Having said that, Annorax and his ship were a force to be reckoned with.

At the end, I think I'd say the Viidians though, they had a good solid concept, that could've used more screentime. I'd love to see how there could be internal struggling on the Homeworld, were some parties fight for a more agressive stance to non-Viidians, going so far as to invade other species to harvest organs and stockpile them, while others feel they should attempt to pull resources with other species into developing a cure. Perhaps even some sort of religious group that feels this a plague sent by their deities to punish them for some sort of amoral behavior or event that happened on their Homeworld. We could have had some fantastic political and social struggling for this species, but ultimatly all we got were baddies with fancy rayguns.
Old September 24 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

I think the viidians were intersting and stood out from the others who werent massively original.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Swarm. What the Borg used to be--a hive-minded race you really couldn't have polite conversations and make deals with. They simply came after you, wearing down all of your defenses along the way.

I'm also one that liked the Kazon too.
Old September 24 2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Akiraprise

The Viidians. A lot of potential for good story telling there, since they were bad because they had to be to survive. They were almost portrayed as having a Federation like system of government until the Phage struck. Explorers by nature forced to become monsters to live. A cool concept that was underused in the series. Too bad.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 05:31 PM   #6
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

I wish they spent more time on the Vidiians than the Kazon.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 06:33 PM   #7
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Agreed, the Vidiians were an interesting concept, for the aforementioned that that these were potentially good guys driven by circumstances to do evil and also for the fact that they were damn creepy to the same level the Borg were to begin with.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Capt Josh
Ensign

I really liked the Viidian's and wish they got more stories and followed up on in later seasons. There was a reference to the phage being cured by the think tank correct? It would have been nice to see what became of them and for the Doctor to see Denara Pel again.

The Hirogens however were my favorite, so much potential there to be mined. With the lack of knowledge of their past ex: dont know where their home planet was, the culture, everything about them was fascinating to me. The Alpha that was in charge during Voyager's occupation was a good character, the follow up with with the holographic uprising was a good story arc. I wanted the crew to have regular run ins with a Hirogen hunter on some quest, not neccesarily a friend or enemy but something a bit more shades of gray.
Capt Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 09:56 AM   #9
The_Baron
Commander

The Vidiians were great, but I'd have loved them more if instead of beaming bits out of people, the crew would wake up in bathtubs full of ice with new scars...

they'd have been so much more effective if they're methods were more rudimentary and brutal.
The_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:27 PM   #10
henbane
Lieutenant Commander

Viidians - certainly a missed opportunity by the writers for some great storylines, particularly from an ethical and moral perspective (which in Star Treks strength).
henbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Saquist
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
Difficult.... I loved the entire concept of the Viidians, that they aren't evil by nature but are forced to perform these gruesome acts for survival. However, so many times we see them they are simple the bad guys, with only one or two exceptions.

The Kazon, again, had a good concept. Based on streetgangs, they fight amongst sects and other aliens. I appreciated them more now that I'm watching Voyager for the second time then I did when watching Voyager years ago for the first time.

Hirogen were pretty cool, interesting social structure, but also a bit bland in execution, mostly very 2 dimensional.

The Borg.... I'm going to reserve judgement here untill I've rewatched Voyager to it's end. I was a bit displeased the first time watching Voyager, since the Borg seemed more gimmicky then true adversaries. But now, early in season 4, they are still quite edgy.

Species 8472: I dunno.... I suppose they were pretty creapy when we first saw them, but they got a bit goofy IMO later on.

The Voth were great for a single episode, but I'm glad they were only that; a one time species. It was a fun concept, but revisiting them to often would get a bit wacky. C'mon, dino's in space?

We never really saw the Krenim for who they really are, did we? We only dealt with Annorax and his crew. The Krenim them selves were also altered during Annorax' tempering. Only at the end of the Year Of Hell do we get a glimpse of how they are in the 'proper' timeline, and they aren't epicly powerfull or anything. Having said that, Annorax and his ship were a force to be reckoned with.

At the end, I think I'd say the Viidians though, they had a good solid concept, that could've used more screentime. I'd love to see how there could be internal struggling on the Homeworld, were some parties fight for a more agressive stance to non-Viidians, going so far as to invade other species to harvest organs and stockpile them, while others feel they should attempt to pull resources with other species into developing a cure. Perhaps even some sort of religious group that feels this a plague sent by their deities to punish them for some sort of amoral behavior or event that happened on their Homeworld. We could have had some fantastic political and social struggling for this species, but ultimatly all we got were baddies with fancy rayguns.

The Vidians creeped me out...
I liked what they Forced in Deadlock...
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
tighr
Commodore

I voted Hirogen, because they were probably the most noble of the antagonists on Voyager. Their entire culture was based on the hunt, and they had a deep respect for their prey. I got the sense that they were in it for the adventure, not because they were evil (Borg), stupid (Kazon) or heartless (Viidians).
Old September 28 2011, 01:18 AM   #13
starlitegirl
Lieutenant Commander

The Kazons were great for their utter stupidity. They're comedy gold!
starlitegirl is offline   Reply With Quote