Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old December 20 2011, 01:48 PM   #151
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: SyFy demotees Blood & Chrome back to webisode series

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yevetha wrote: View Post
When can we watch the pilot?
Word is that decision will be made in February
February sounds right.

In 2011 Syfy held its up front presentation for the advertisers on March 22nd. I imagine their up front this year will also be in March. So they will need all their pick ups done and promotional materials ready by that point.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Old January 10 2012, 01:28 AM   #152
V
Commodore

actual update:
http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/887...ntil-2013.html

"Now that we're back from the holidays, I'm just waiting to get some foreign [financial] numbers in because we're both the studio and network on this," Stern said. "I'm hoping to make a decision [on a series order] in the next month or so."
They also say that even if they do greenlight it, we physically won't see it until 2013. Apparently, the "brilliant" idea to take digital photos of the entire Galactica set before it was struck, and film the entire prequel on greenscreen sets, didn't work out too well.

I guess that did work out for Sanctuary, but apparently on the schedule and quality level they want, they're having difficulty making it "economical".

I guess they couldn't rush it without being more expensive.

I'm sorry but this is my same basic complaint about Caprica: "we told you so".

That is, they have this major problem in the basic setup and they nonchalantly act like its just a speedbump.

For Caprica it was "you wanted to rush out a prequel so quickly that the writers didn't even have time to develop a proper prequel, you just co-opted an unrelated scifi show by Remi Aubochon and slapped some BSG elements into it like the Adama family, which thus felt obviously shoehorned in".

I mean just think about that with Caprica: how many other shows develop not just a spinoff, but a PREQUEL....by co-opting a different story idea and just inserting a few new characters? I mean it CAN be done, but only with herculean effort. Either way they raced off Caprica so quickly that RDM was writing it DURING BSG's finale, even complaining that he was having difficulty writing for either one because his attention was divided.

But for "Blood & Chrome" they're acting like "well all of the sets are greenscreen so we'll have to digitally add in everything from high-quality set photos we took" -- as if that's no big deal!

For that matter, why even strike the sets if they were hoping to get another prequel? Or did that come later?

Look, I know Sanctuary was already doing this and actually fairly effectively, but filming an entire series set on greenscreen is no easy task....and they're now openly admitting that it has led to production delays which would push it back to 2013 even if they greenlight it immediately.

Once again, "we told you so". It was obviously a complicated problem to film it that way from the start. Maybe I shouldn't blame them if they had no choice but to strike the sets because they were too expensive to maintain the rent like that and didn't plan B&C originally.

I think the problem is that they were banking on Caprica when BSG ended; yes, they did have vague ideas for B&C because they thought to take high-res digital photos before the sets were struck....but that kind of thing may have worked for a one-shot prequel WEBISODE series or DVD movie, set on a digital Galactica set. Not the grinding schedule of a full series.
Old January 10 2012, 01:48 AM   #153
pst
Lieutenant Commander

V wrote: View Post
For Caprica it was "you wanted to rush out a prequel so quickly that the writers didn't even have time to develop a proper prequel, you just co-opted an unrelated scifi show by Remi Aubochon and slapped some BSG elements into it like the Adama family, which thus felt obviously shoehorned in".
i'm not sure i totally agree with you on the caprica front, considering the show was stuck in development hell for years before it suddenly became viable toward the end of BSG's run. but that's beside the fact, because you're totally right about B&C.

the way this interview comes off, it seems like it takes such a long damn time to complete a single episode of the series, they might as well just build actual sets and do it, ya know, the normal way.

fingers crossed, 2012 passes much the same way 2011 did - without much talk about blood & chrome and it just goes away.
Old January 10 2012, 04:49 AM   #154
V
Commodore

Yeah I'm just confused:

We know that they had some concept that they might want to make....some kind of future project, because they thought to take high-res digital photos before destroying the sets.

Maybe, maybe...they only thought these "future projects" would be a straight to DVD movie or two.

Checking the timeline of events:

The first half of Caprica's only season aired from January to March of 2010 (the episodes Jane was responsible for).

That was a weird time; reviewers not knowing what to make of these bizarre shifts in focus and constantly shifting to new subplots with complete lack of direction. But then Jane was there smiling at Comic Con that summer talking about how great she was. Well, actually she stepped down as showrunner in November 2009....

At any rate, they announced "Blood & Chrome" in...July 2010.

They started airing the back half of Caprica's episodes in October 2010, but yanked it after five episodes in a drastic mid-run cancellation (later to be burned off in a one-day marathon in early January). Which is sad because it was a better show under the new guy after Jane stepped aside (if nothing else, despite all of its other problems, a lot of blame goes specifically on Jane for her lack of focus and restraint, to just *stick with* a given set of subplots, not re-write the show every three to four episodes).

So my running guess...admittedly just a guess...is that they didn't really intend for there to be a "Blood & Chrome" prequel when BSG itself was ending; they took the digital photos because they either assumed there'd be a DVD movie or two, *or*.....they assumed that a later season of Caprica might actually show the Cylon War, so they'd need battlestar interiors.

Given that even the pilot for Caprica didn't exist yet, there was no way they were planning two prequels.

Its obvious that Blood & Chrome was a replacement idea for Caprica after the mixed, lukewarm reaction to the first half of its only season, from January to March 2010.

They thought Caprica might need a few scenes set on a battlestar.....not to have the MAJORITY of an entire series take place on a battlestar as the main setting!

They thought the Caprica cast members would visit battlestars, not have to make another military scifi show set on one.

So in the end....I bet they're sure as hell kicking themselves now! That they made a prequel no one wanted (like Caprica or not, when most people thought "BSG prequel" they assumed "First Cylon War")....possibly due to a directive to make shows more "Earth bound, relatable, and less scifi so we can attract a broader audience"....that really came back to bite them.

Had they known all along that they HAD to make a military scifi action show, they wouldn't have destroyed all of the expensive sets! The fact that they have time delays which have pushed it back by *at least two years* is strong evidence that they only wanted to have SOME scenes taking place on a battlestar, but not an entire series set on one....they didn't plan for that, and they don't really have the technical capability to produce an entirely greenscreened show like that affordably and quickly.

Yeah Sancutary does this.....but that's Sanctuary's whole gimmick. Blood & Chrome would have to make digital sets.....IN ADDITION to the special effects they have to use for external space combat special effects! That's TWICE the digital effects budget! They can't possibly afford that.

Really kicking themselves now.
Old January 10 2012, 04:53 AM   #155
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

V wrote: View Post
Really kicking themselves now.
Yeah, what with being gainfully employed on other shows now and everything.
Old January 25 2012, 12:06 AM   #156
24thcenstfan
Commander

I'm looking forward to Blood & Chrome, just wish it wasn't taking so long to come out. I hope this means Syfy is preparing to do this series right like BSG (and not like Caprica).
Old January 25 2012, 12:58 AM   #157
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Me too. Although, it probably really means that it's horrible in its current state and needs to be rebuilt. Rumor has it they had trouble with all the "scanned" virtual sets.
Old February 18 2012, 06:01 PM   #158
roliver
Fleet Captain

Bear McCreary has confirmed (via Twitter) that he has just completed the B&C score.
Old February 18 2012, 06:07 PM   #159
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Oh come on, we all know this show will never see the light of day.
My blog
Old February 18 2012, 11:10 PM   #160
Harvey
Admiral

Glad to hear McCreary has done the score. In the very least, we should get an excellent new CD out of the whole affair.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 19 2012, 07:44 AM   #161
vampgrrl
Fleet Captain

If Bear has scored it, its likely it will be shown on Syfy even if it doesn't make it to series.

(Honestly, I'd wish Syfy did a few 2 hour episodes each season like the BBC does with Sherlock. More BSG for us, more cost effective for them)
Old February 19 2012, 08:04 AM   #162
Harvey
Admiral

Would they be more cost effective, though? Television makes its money in syndication, and syndication requires quantity. Sherlock and other British programs get by with shorter runs because of BBC License fees underwriting their costs, no?

"The Plan" and "Razor" seemed to be relative financial successes on home video, yet they received no follow-up. This doesn't surprise me, really, since the bottom has more or less fallen out of the home video market and you generally don't see TV Movies in syndication.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old February 19 2012, 12:35 PM   #163
Yevetha
Commodore

I tought this was dead.

Glad to see it had been revived.
Old February 19 2012, 09:07 PM   #164
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I don't think it was ever fully dead - just partially dead, or in that twilight state that is Hollywood production/post-production hell.
Old February 19 2012, 09:54 PM   #165
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I don't think it was ever fully dead - just partially dead, or in that twilight state that is Hollywood production/post-production hell.
It's never been dead at all, just delayed, because of the sheer volume of labor needed for the route they chose to go with so much CGI, if they were trying to bury it as so many like to theorize and trumpet, they certainly wouldn't continue putting money into it. It's true, it may never go to Series (Or maybe it will), but, definitely the Pilot will see the light of day when it's ready.

A decision to go to Series will likely depend upon, not only the success of the release of the Pilot, but, also, it will likely depend upon what they consider their options are for Producing full seasons.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?