Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 25 2011, 02:25 AM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Mercury Men Syfy web series

Has anyone seen this? Just caught my attention for the first time...

Pittsburgh, 1975. Edward Borman, a lowly government office drone, finds himself trapped, when the deadly men of Mercury seize his office building as a staging ground for their nefarious plot. Aided by Jack Yaeger, a daring aerospace engineer from a mysterious organization known as "The League," Edward must stop the invaders and their doomsday device, the Gravity Engine.
Drawing from the same retro serials that inspired such films as Star Wars and Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Mercury Men reintroduces audiences to the great mystery, danger, and suspense the stories were originally known for. The series consists of 10 online episodes, each approximately 7 minutes in length.
The Mercury Men is available now on Syfy.com, Hulu, iTunes, and in HD via ON DEMAND.
Kind of a neat idea. I'd always wondered what a modern style remake of the serials would look like. At least something a bit truer to the originals than stuff like SW, Rocketeer Sky Captain.

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; August 25 2011 at 02:50 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 05:27 AM   #2
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Mercury Men Syfy web series

I'd love to see it, but as far as I know it's not available outside of the US yet.
Anyone know if the status of that?
I don't do the itunes thing, so it may be available that way. Have to try I guess.
Old August 25 2011, 10:46 PM   #3
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

They also have it up on On Demand. I've seen the first couple of episodes and I like it so far; of course, I'm a big fan of old movie serials.
Old August 26 2011, 12:05 AM   #4
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

It's really bad. Clearly these people have no idea what the 1970s looked like. So why try to set it then?
Old August 26 2011, 12:30 AM   #5
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I was looking forward to this, for over a year now, and sat down and watched the whole thing. I was disappointed, but there are things I like about it. The look of the aliens, the men of Mercury, is probably the best thing. The sound effects were good, and I liked the black and white look.

It could have been better, and it could still be developed into something really cool in an ongoing series.
Old August 26 2011, 06:00 AM   #6
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

The 70's? By the looks of it, I assumed the 40's.
Old August 26 2011, 12:41 PM   #7
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Cubicles were first marketed as office furniture in the mid-60's, so there's no way this looks like anything earlier.
Old August 26 2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Morpheus 02
Commodore

The show definitely looks like it's on a tight budget, but i think the filmmaker is maximizing his resources. The style is like a 40's serial, but the setting is the 70's, i think to explain away the setting (which i think might be North Point Community Church, which was thanked in the credits).

i'm not totally drawn into it (the cheapness distracts me a bit, and the acting/writing has totally knocked my socks off the ignore the production quality), but have watched several episodes.

i wonder if SyFy is looking at the success/failure of this as a way to see if they can trust the producer with making a bigger production in the future.
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I found 10 episodes on my On Demand this morning. I'll try to get time this weekend to check it out.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2011, 07:46 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I still want syfy to turn Riese into a prime-time tv series, especially since my book is coming out next summer!
Old August 26 2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
It's really bad. Clearly these people have no idea what the 1970s looked like. So why try to set it then?
That's sorta my thought. I only watched the first part and kept thinking... that doesn't look like an office in 1975. It looks like an office today.

And why is that guy with the ray gun wearing something from the 1930s.... shouldn't he be wearing some styling thing from the 70s? Like a Shaft type coat?

I get what they were trying to do, but... with the limited budget, I don't think they should've tried to do period. A modern riff would have been a more achievable goal.
Old August 26 2011, 10:27 PM   #12
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I watched some more today. It's got a brain in a jar. I love brains in jars.

I don't see anything that disqualifies it from being in the 70s-- but then, I don't remember anything saying that it is in the 70s (though it was a couple of weeks ago that I watched the beginning).

As it progresses, I like the Edward character more. His fear and isolation make him appealing and sympathetic. I think he will ultimately become, in the future, the voice that spoke to him on the radio.
Old August 27 2011, 01:49 AM   #13
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post

I don't see anything that disqualifies it from being in the 70s-- but then, I don't remember anything saying that it is in the 70s (though it was a couple of weeks ago that I watched the beginning).
The first subtitle says 1975 in the first episode.

The scenes in the office, while the guy is running away, looked like today. The elevator buttons. The ceiling tiles. Just looked modern. Though, they did feature a typewriter in one shot. A non electric one... which would be an odd feature in an office in 1975. I would think an electric one would be more appropriate.
Old August 27 2011, 06:16 AM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
It is odd...because its set in 1975 but has homages to the 30s-40s serials...maybe they were trying to remove it enough from the current day to make it idealized in some way...but I can ignore the setting a bit, clearly its not meant to be any more realistic than the 30s serials because the MOON IS IN EARTH'S ATMOPSHERE for Christ sake.

RAMA
Old August 27 2011, 07:34 AM   #15
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Thanks for the tip on this RAMA! I've enjoyed it so far...almost done. As for the time period stuff...I just ignored it and enjoyed the ride.