Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 1 2011, 11:40 PM   #151
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Re: Re-booting TNG For TV?

What if it were a romantic comedy about a hockey coach at a boys boarding school in space? They could get Matt Leblanc to star and call it Pucks.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 03:12 AM   #152
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Vorta Claus wrote: View Post
The only reason why Star Trek would or should be made animation style is if The Cartoon Network is interested in it. Therefore, the shows that are already on The Cartoon Network are the relevant reference point. Shows made in Japan are not relevant. This is not about artistry or quality, it's about a cold-blooded business decision.

I'd rather have live-action Star Trek. Animation is only preferable if it's the only way it will happen at all.
Which is why most television and films suck these days....no substance to them at all, just pumping out more products, all quantity and little to no quality. If it's all about that, Hollywood's no getting my money, and I am sure there are others who think the same. Why do you think that I have not paid for a movie ticket in about 10 years? There's nothing catches my attention. It's mainly been either sci-fi books, or my paranormal research that's been keeping me going.

I recommend you look up some of the animations I mentioned and feel free to do some research yourself, you'll be pretty impressed, and from reading your past posts, surprised, at what you'll see. If you stop looking at it through a cold hard business point of view, what you'll be seeing will be more enjoyable. Especially since all that's on TV these days is either trashy reality shows, TMZ brain numbness, or sports.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2011, 08:55 PM   #153
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Anime is extremely limited and low budget animation; why would anyone want that? Might as well remake TAS.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 12:22 AM   #154
timelord1010
Captain

I could never understand why JJ Abrams couldn't have done a continuation instead of a alternate universe TOS movie? I think the movie could have been a kind of rip off of Space Battleship Yamato ( Star Blazers in the US) and just placed the movie 100 years or more in TNG future with Earth devastated from war and a new Enterprise is built on the Earth's surface to go after the Romulan (or other enemy) from the future. Pine's Kirk could have been a relative and Quintos Spock could have been a child of Spock's.

The movie could have been filmed as is, just changed the names of some of the characters.

So instead of rebooting TNG, continue on beyond it. On a side note I would love to see a series based on the Titan showing whats going on in the TRek universe 10 or 20 years after Nemesis.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 06:18 AM   #155
The Castellan
Commodore

Whofan wrote: View Post
Anime is extremely limited and low budget animation; why would anyone want that? Might as well remake TAS.
I seen quite a few nice ones.
Old December 4 2011, 03:45 AM   #156
indolover
Fleet Captain

I would a new TNG show, it is joint best show to DS9 IMO, but it was the show that made me a Trekkie so it will always have a place in my heart.

It could revitalise the franchise though. DS9 as said was quality, but has no pop culture appeal. Of all the modern Treks, TNG is the one the man on the street knows the most about (DS9, Voyager and Enterprise are similar to say Stargate SG-1 in the average person's eyes, just with cult followings).

So as TNG is, in the public's eyes, the most known modern Trek series this is a plus in terms of promotion. People will tune in to see if Picard, Data, Worf, etc. are still the same. The issue would be if the level of storytelling could cut it, as well as the acting standards. But in money making terms, it's as good as any other IMO. Paramount may see it as a less risky venture than making an entirely new series with a unique setting/premise.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2011, 07:10 AM   #157
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

timelord1010 wrote: View Post
I could never understand why JJ Abrams couldn't have done a continuation instead of a alternate universe TOS movie?
I think the decision to do a movie reboot of TOS was made before Abrams was hired by the suits at Paramount. The decision to make it an alternate universe came once Orci and the gang came onboard with Abrams, IMO.
Old December 4 2011, 12:24 PM   #158
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I could never understand why JJ Abrams couldn't have done a continuation instead of a alternate universe TOS movie?
Probably because after the relative success of First Contact each continuation movie made less money than the one that had gobe before it. INS made less than FC, NEM made less than INS. The mainstream cinema-goer, whose attendance is needed to make a movie a hit, didn't care about seeing what happened next in the 24th or 25th centuries.
Old December 4 2011, 03:35 PM   #159
xortex
Commodore

But usually a reboot is done when a franchise is ailing to begin with. Rebooting Trek is like trying to redesign a bird, or a great bird in this case. It ought not be done. I don't know how the history of TOS interferes with a prequil. I would think that 'baggage' as RDM so quaintly put it, would enhance it. The blind (bling?) leading the blind. Ship of fools and the golden goose. Now more like the keystone cops and little lord fonteroy (except he's sadistic) with a little of the good son (McCauley Culkin?) thrown in.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2011, 03:56 PM   #160
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Trek was ailing or hadn't you noticed?! Nemesis flopped at the cinema. Enterprise became the first tv show since the first one to be cancelled, lasting 3 seasons less than the 7 its 3 predecessors ran for. And neither DS9 or VOY had been as big a hit as TNG. You think that's all healthy?
Old December 4 2011, 08:07 PM   #161
xortex
Commodore

If Trek was ailing, it wasn't TOS that was killing it, but was rather the only thing that was keeping it alive. Failing that, now it's got to worry about keeping itself alive. It was the failure to live up to the ratings TNG recieved as inspired by TOS that was killing it. Seeing the forest through the trees takes vision.
Old December 4 2011, 11:35 PM   #162
The Castellan
Commodore

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Probably because after the relative success of First Contact each continuation movie made less money than the one that had gobe before it. INS made less than FC, NEM made less than INS. The mainstream cinema-goer, whose attendance is needed to make a movie a hit, didn't care about seeing what happened next in the 24th or 25th centuries.
Pity I am not mainstream person.
Old December 5 2011, 02:28 PM   #163
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
If Trek was ailing, it wasn't TOS that was killing it, but was rather the only thing that was keeping it alive. Failing that, now it's got to worry about keeping itself alive. It was the failure to live up to the ratings TNG recieved as inspired by TOS that was killing it. Seeing the forest through the trees takes vision.
I have no idea what this means.

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Pity I am not mainstream person.
Well, if you'd gone to see INS and NEM a million times, then maybe they'd have made enough money to warrant more 24th century Trek.

But you didn't and neither did the mainstream cinema-goer (what precisely is a mainstream person?) and thus they didn't get sequels.
Old December 5 2011, 04:50 PM   #164
xortex
Commodore

TOS was an impossibly high standard to live up to let alone do better than which is what they all thought they were doing with TNG. The fact that nobody wanted to see that century in the films proves that they weren't successful but rather delusional.
Old December 5 2011, 06:44 PM   #165
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

They weren't the only ones by the looks of it...