Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old August 14 2011, 02:18 AM   #16
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: 2011 NFL Season - A New Game

I wonder what Olin Kreutz is thinking right now? (Sorry Timby...)

I know it's just preseason, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from my Titans, especially Jake Locker.
Old August 14 2011, 02:44 AM   #17
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I wonder what Olin Kreutz is thinking right now? (Sorry Timby...)
"Thank fuck Cutler's next of kin can't sue me for wrongful death after those dopes get him murdered in Week 3."
Old August 14 2011, 05:10 PM   #18
Danny99
Vice Admiral

If the Lions can put up 34 points every game and win, I'm really looking forward to this season.
Old August 14 2011, 11:58 PM   #19
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Danny99 wrote: View Post
If the Lions can put up 34 points every game and win, I'm really looking forward to this season.
I wouldn't consider the game vs. Cincinnati a win of any sort. The defense is in shambles with multiple new starters and the offense is led by a rookie QB behind a below-average, at best, offensive line.

Though I do think Detroit makes some decent strides towards respectability if Stafford can stay healthy. Possibly finishing second in the NFC North and grabbing the final playoff spot.
Old August 15 2011, 12:29 AM   #20
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

That is all.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old August 15 2011, 01:01 AM   #21
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

BillJ wrote: View Post
Miami's quest for Andrew Luck began without a hitch last night.
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
So did the Niners. I know it's preseason, but that was really really bad. The Offensive Line looked like they didn't practice at all, and Alex Smith still sucks. I said they were going to win no more than 5 games this year, but if they look the way they looked last night, they'll be lucky if they even get to 5. This is shaping up to be a terrible year for Football in the Bay Area

Less than two months away from Hockey Season.
Don't despair yet guys, the preseason may provide some indication of what's to come, but it's not the end-all-be-all..... remember, a few years ago a certain team we all know and love went 4-0 before proceeding to go 0-16.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old August 15 2011, 01:30 AM   #22
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post

Don't despair yet guys, the preseason may provide some indication of what's to come, but it's not the end-all-be-all..... remember, a few years ago a certain team we all know and love went 4-0 before proceeding to go 0-16.
You obviously haven't watched Chad Henne play.
Old August 15 2011, 02:19 AM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
If Alex Smith is going to spend all the time on his ass, than yeah it's going to be a long season. I know it's preseason and I expect Harbaugh to turn the team around somehow (And it takes time and I know that) but that was just really really hard to watch.
Old August 15 2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Aragorn
Admiral

The 49ers are working out Daunte Culpepper today. If it doesn't work out, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Jim Druckenmiller, J.P. Losman, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey and Joey Harrington will be getting their shot Tuesday.
Old August 15 2011, 06:24 PM   #25
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
The 49ers are working out Daunte Culpepper today. If it doesn't work out, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Jim Druckenmiller, J.P. Losman, Cade McNown, Patrick Ramsey and Joey Harrington will be getting their shot Tuesday.
Well, I'm still going to Support Harbaugh, but it really looks like he's going to have to build the team literally from the ground up. Should be an interesting few years.
Old August 15 2011, 10:27 PM   #26
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
My condolences to 49er fans regarding their their QB situation. Apparently keeping Alex Smith was just the first step along a stumble-filled road for Harbaugh.
Old August 15 2011, 10:57 PM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers could have easily swapped places in the draft, and if that had happened, I truly believe that their careers would have swapped, too. Rodgers was a Jeff Tedford quarterback, and they've historically sucked out loud in NFL -- it was only the tutelage of Mike McCarthy that has really turned him into a legitimate quarterback who's able to flourish in the pros.

Alex Smith is on his sixth offensive coordinator in six years, all of whom have run incredibly different systems and playbooks. For some of those seasons, he's gotten beaten up nearly as bad as David Carr did in Houston. The guy is talented ... but I think he's been utterly broken by how ridiculous the 49ers organization has been. I'm almost certain he's been freebasing Maalox for at least the last three years.
Old August 16 2011, 12:18 AM   #28
Skywalker
Admiral

I agree about Smith. He did very well when Norv Turner was the 49ers' OC for one season, but ever since Turner left he's struggled.
Old August 16 2011, 01:03 AM   #29
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I just hope the Lions won’t rush any kind of rebuild to win now. They have done well with picks like Stafford, Best, and Suh. But if they think they can get into the playoffs and sell the farm to get a big star, it would be a huge step in the wrong direction.
A lot of things need to happen for the Lions to have a chance. The Bears need to continue leaving Cutler open to get sacked. Donovan McNabb needs to be a complete failure, even though Adrian Peterson can carry that team on his back. I don’t think anything will stop the Packers from running away with the division again.
Old August 16 2011, 01:22 AM   #30
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I don't know about Smith. When I lived in SF and somewhat followed the 49ers, he very rarely showed ANY kind of offensive prowess and constantly looked like a deer in headlights. Yes, that absolutely has to do with the revolving doors of offensive coordinators but I've honestly seen more (rare) flashes of brilliance from some of the scrub QBs the Bears have thrown on the field in the past decade. It's not like the Bears have been a bastion of offensive strength.