TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 5 2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Movies Revisited: "The Mask" (1994)

With the flux of superhero films that have been hitting the cinmas for over 12 years, it's particularly interesting watching this film again, which pokes fun at all the tropes of such films without resorting cynicism or vulgarity. (Even when it comes close to vulgarity, it's harmlessly adolescent). This is a story that's entertaining for all ages. I found the DVD at a a store, and I hadn't seen it in years. I always liked it, but I think I enjoyed it more this time than ever before. In the past, I was always impatient in the last act, as the bad guy had the mask. not only did I think his version was very stereotypical, but I was anxious to see Carrey's Mask come back, and we get him so briefly when he does.

But that's the point. Notice how he almost beats up the bad guy by himself without the mask. He also started to become more confident and focused in the last act. The Mask was only needed to do something physically impossible and get rid of the bomb. And notice, the mask came back to him earlier in the film when he thought he tossed it. at that point he still needed. At the end, he didn't.

This was Cameron Diaz's debut, and she never looked better. The camera loves her too, and normally I would be against such shallowness or something, but not only has Cameron never looked better in these scenes, but very few actresses ever have looked better. She was stunning. It really made us care for whether or not Ipkiss would overcome his problems to talk to her.

The dog should have been given a best supporting actor Oscar.