RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 671
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Closed Thread

Old July 19 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

Borders - the end

Just read that the remaining 399 Borders stores well close by fall leaving B&N as the only large chain bookstore in the US. This sucks. Even though I have been known to complain about the joke of a Trek selection I do enjoy going to the bookstores & leaving with a gem of a book I found in the bargain areas.
Old July 19 2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Borders - the end

I used to work for Borders. I used to work for Tower Records. This, like that, saddens me.
Old July 19 2011, 03:36 AM   #3
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

This is extremely sad. I like our neighborhood Borders. I buy all my Trek books there.
Old July 19 2011, 03:54 AM   #4
OverlordSpock
Lieutenant Commander

View OverlordSpock's Twitter Profile

A sad day indeed. I'm in my local Borders usually once a week. I don't always buy something, but I do more frequently than not.

The closest Barnes and Noble is farther than I want to drive and is way out of my way. I guess more Amazon for me, but there's nothing like browsing a bookstore just to see what you'll find.
Old July 19 2011, 06:12 AM   #5
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

I've been shopping Borders/Waldenbooks for almost 20 years, got all of the Star Wars novels (forgive me ) from Heir To The Empire to the last series there so for me its an end of an era.
Old July 19 2011, 06:23 AM   #6
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

Oh my goodness, not only have been a Waldenbooks/Borders customer all my life. I have worked there off and on seasonally and parttime from 1999 until this last April when my store closed. This is devastating!
Old July 19 2011, 01:18 PM   #7
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)

I used to spend hours in the Trek section and the magazine section (looking at Trek magazines) of my local Waldenbooks. It went out of the mall in the town I grew up in back in 2005. I now tend to do more bookstoring at Half Price Books for older sci-fi books than I do new stuff. (About the only releases I buy new are Honor Harrington books!)

Someone mentioned Tower Records... I was never really exposed to that brand, but it reminds me of Suncoast and Musicland. Between the two of them, I built my video and, later, DVD collection (well, between them and Half Price). I was crushed when Suncoast tanked its way into BestBuy, followed closely by Musicland. (Of course, at the time, there wasn't a BestBuy near me. Now, I live a 10 minute drive from one.)

Rob+
Old July 20 2011, 06:18 AM   #8
JD
Admiral

Damn, this makes me really sad. Up until I got my Nook I did most of my book shopping at Borders.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Old July 20 2011, 05:48 PM   #9
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Not just B&N but also Books a Million too. Also the used book stores we have around my area is where I usually go to get the older ones no longer in print. Everything else I try to get online if I can find in the stores.
Old July 20 2011, 06:09 PM   #10
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Ten years ago, this news would have REALLY upset me, but now since I no longer drive, and can't get to Borders anyway, I've been using Amazon for my book needs. Plus, they have rare books that you can't find at Borders, or Barnes & Noble.

Still, it's sad to see a bookstore go out of business.
Old July 20 2011, 08:00 PM   #11
Reanok
Commodore

I think this is really too bad I really liked the Borders book store they carried StarTrek books that my local bookstores didn't carry. Alot of books I found there i couldn't find anywhere else.
Old July 21 2011, 01:10 AM   #12
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

I'm not all that sad to see it go. Its corporate politics were a tad to the right, and I didn't particularly like the results of its having taken over the Waldenbooks/Brentanos chain. Which is to say that I was far more upset about that takeover.

Likewise, I was far more upset over what "Papa Haft" did to his son's chain, Crown Books. Or my recent discovery that Bertrand Smith's Acres of Books, long a fixture of downtown Long Beach, had closed a few years ago.
Old July 21 2011, 01:44 AM   #13
mindx2
Lieutenant

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
I'm not all that sad to see it go. Its corporate politics were a tad to the right...
What?! Regardless of left, right, or center a lot of good people (conservative, independent and liberal) are losing their jobs. That is NEVER a good thing, especially in this economy.
Old July 21 2011, 08:01 AM   #14
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

mindx2 wrote: View Post
hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
I'm not all that sad to see it go. Its corporate politics were a tad to the right...
What?! Regardless of left, right, or center a lot of good people (conservative, independent and liberal) are losing their jobs. That is NEVER a good thing, especially in this economy.
I agree mindx2 a lot of good people will lose their jobs, jobs that they love - believe me working in a book store is a wonderful job. Plus, there is something about going to a book store and sitting and reading. Or having a great book recommended to you by a bookseller or even another customer.
I know their are other book stores, but it is a loss.
Also I don't know where I can get Seattles Best Coffe at a full service cafe, if not at Borders - I love their coffee.
Old July 21 2011, 07:12 PM   #15
Jedi_Master
Captain

Perhaps the death of larger scale book "superstores" could be a good thing for book lovers. The online retailers can be purveyors of the mass produced sequels and "mainstream" fiction and smaller brick and mortar retailers can be the place to go for new and interesting reads.
Closed Thread