TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 4 2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Sgt. Sacrament
Lieutenant Commander

Should I purchase the soundtrack for Star Trek: Nemesis?

Howdy,

I'm a fan of film scores & classical music. I've been collecting some of the scores for Star Trek films... I picked up used copies of TMP by Jerry Goldsmith and TWOK by James Horner, great scores that brought back great memories. I already had the score for First Contact by Goldsmith, which is only mediocre as a whole, but which has one of my favorite main themes of all time. After picking up some other famous Goldsmith scores (Planet of the Apes & Patton/Tora Tora Tora), picked up his Insurrection score, and was blown away at how awesome it was. I'm looking for his Star Trek V score which is widely well-reviewed. FWIW, I loved Giacchino's score for the 2009 film and kick myself for not buying the limited edition full score.

I've read about Goldsmith's Nemesis score, but most reviews seem to agree that it's not at the level of his other Star Trek scores, and is a disappointment.

There is a used music store nearby that has a copy of the Nemesis score for $6.00. Would you recommend that I pick it up? Note that I'm not someone who wants to collect all of the Star Trek scores.

Thanks for your advice in advance! Note that I lurk the Trek BBS almost daily, but rarely post.
Sgt. Sacrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Re: Should I purchase the soundtrack for Star Trek: Nemesis?

The Nemesis score is fine, and more importantly still a Jerry Goldsmith album, which on its own makes it better than most other soundtrack scores out there. You could do a lot worse for $6.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:51 PM   #3
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

If you go over to TrekCore, they've got all the mp3s of the Nemesis score, including unreleased material. Hurry...
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

The two-disc 'complete' score that you can find floating around is superior to the official released album. But if you don't want to put the effort into finding it or are uncomfortable with the legality issues, the album is pretty suitable - especially for the prices you can get it today.
Old August 5 2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Of course you should buy Nemesis! It's Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek music! You should also make sure you have the expanded Star Trek II and Star Trek III albums. Sadly, La-La Land's 2-disc release for Trek V sold out, but hopefully you got one.

Neil
Old August 5 2011, 08:05 AM   #6
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Don't get it. It's too sythetic.
Old August 5 2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

I like it. I wish the complete score was released, though (legally, that is). Worth six bucks, certainly.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I did not initially like Goldsmith's score for NEM. I ranked it as one of the worst in the franchise. However, I have come to appreciate it more and more over the years. In fact, I now rank the score for NEM higher than INS, another Goldsmith score that I found to be largely underwhelming (with a few exceptions). As other posters have already noted, the soundtrack is not the full score (you can find some of the unreleased music online, including at sites like TrekCore).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2011, 06:12 AM   #9
knine
Commander

The soundtrack was one of the better things in Nemesis.
knine is offline   Reply With Quote