RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,351
Posts: 5,502,820
Members: 25,121
Currently online: 680
Newest member: MsMarrielle

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 12 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Mr. Sin
Commander
 
Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

http://starwars.com/vault/books/news...1ke/index.html


Seems pretty cool-a series that's sort of a prequel to the Darth Bane novels/ Jedi vs. Sith, with the last big Sith war and all that. Plus it's written by John Jackson Miller, who did the excellent KOTOR comics (Which ends this month).

With this and the new Old Republic game, it looks like a good time for the 'ancient' Star Wars universe.

Last edited by Mr. Sin; February 12 2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Corrected link.
Mr. Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 06:51 AM   #2
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Though I'm a little wary of having three Star Wars ongoings with Jedi on the run in a Sith-dominated galaxy (Dark Times, Legacy, and now this), the Knights of the Old Republic comic was Star Wars as its absolute best, and I'm sure John Jackson Miller will knock it out of the park once more.
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

I was not a fan of Jedi vs Sith (which did not feel like Star Wars whatsoever) but I am looking forward to this one. I only hope the central character is likeable. As much as I love the Legacy series, it suffers because Cade Skywalker is not likeable and does not grow as a character.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I only hope the central character is likeable. As much as I love the Legacy series, it suffers because Cade Skywalker is not likeable and does not grow as a character.
The thing about Cade Skywalker is that he's much closer to Han Solo (pre-Episode IV) rather than Luke Skywalker. He's neither Jedi nor Sith--he's a pirate and a scoundrel (with a lightsaber)--and really wish the Galaxy would leave him alone. As a character, though, he is (albeit reluctantly) becoming more and more aware that the Skywalker legacy isn't something he can completely ignore. He is fighting it tooth and nail, however. But Cade isn't a perfect hero, but an admittedly flawed one. He's made mistakes and a few of them may come back to haunt him in the future.

But with Knight Errant, we may have another unconventional hero in the form of Kerra Holt as she discovers the role she will play during the "Dark Age of the Republic."
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I was not a fan of Jedi vs Sith (which did not feel like Star Wars whatsoever) but I am looking forward to this one.
Jedi vs. Sith was fantastic! But this will apparently be a generation before that. I hope we get to see young versions of some JvS characters, like Hoth and (especially) Farfalla.
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The thing about Cade Skywalker is that he's much closer to Han Solo (pre-Episode IV) rather than Luke Skywalker. He's neither Jedi nor Sith--he's a pirate and a scoundrel (with a lightsaber)--and really wish the Galaxy would leave him alone. As a character, though, he is (albeit reluctantly) becoming more and more aware that the Skywalker legacy isn't something he can completely ignore. He is fighting it tooth and nail, however. But Cade isn't a perfect hero, but an admittedly flawed one. He's made mistakes and a few of them may come back to haunt him in the future.
I get the theory behind it all, but six volumes in (I'm a little behind) and Legacy seems to be treading water. It doesn't help that every other character is more interesting than Cade.
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:20 PM   #6
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The thing about Cade Skywalker is that he's much closer to Han Solo (pre-Episode IV) rather than Luke Skywalker. He's neither Jedi nor Sith--he's a pirate and a scoundrel (with a lightsaber)--and really wish the Galaxy would leave him alone. As a character, though, he is (albeit reluctantly) becoming more and more aware that the Skywalker legacy isn't something he can completely ignore. He is fighting it tooth and nail, however. But Cade isn't a perfect hero, but an admittedly flawed one. He's made mistakes and a few of them may come back to haunt him in the future.
I get the theory behind it all, but six volumes in (I'm a little behind) and Legacy seems to be treading water. It doesn't help that every other character is more interesting than Cade.
I often felt that way about Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy not being the most interesting character. But I also don't think that Legacy is as much the story of Cade Skywalker as it is about everything that has happened since the Sith have returned to power. We sort of see it from Cade's point of view most of the time, but there often is a lot of stuff going on that doesn't really involve Cade directly, IMO...
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 07:29 PM   #7
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

I agree about Legacy that Cade is unlikeable and he is the least interesting thing about that really cool universe they've developed. Though I give the writers credit for making Cade such an a-hole. Though the strength of the series seems to be in the other characters and the galactic politics.

I'm hoping that Kerra is an another unconvential hero in the mold of Zayne, and not that Finn kid from Invasion who is too boring and a bit of a Gary Stu. Or maybe a more morally conflicted character like Dass from Dark Times. And I'm looking forward to exploring this timeframe. I was a big fan of the Darth Bane books and it took me a moment but I got into Jedi v. Sith, though I thought the artwork was all wrong for it. And if this new series takes place before that period then it should be rife with Sith Lords and Jedi and provide opportunities for a lot of great fun. Though hopefully there'll be some Darths in this series and not all of the Sith will be going by the simple "Lord" title as they were for Brotherhood of Darkness and using perhaps their real names.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

I haven't read Invasion yet (trade-waiting it), but I'd have no complaints about a Zayne-esque hero. Just so long as he doesn't have a con man partner!

I couldn't get into the Darth Bane novels and gave up after the second one. If nothing else (but there is plenty else), his visual depiction in the comics is way cooler. Lord Kaan abolished the "Darth" title because of the in-fighting it caused, so it seems likely that a generation before there'd be plenty of Darths afoot.
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 12:22 AM   #9
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Yeah, the world of Legacy is awesome and almost every character/group is more interesting than Cade. There's Morrigan Corde, Gar Stazi and the Alliance Remnant, Wrrylok and the Sith, Gunner Yage, the Imperial Knights...even Syn and Blue are far more likeable than Cade. The only group that's been disappointing thus far are the Jedi. Cade's Master Wolf and friend Shado come across as generic, stockpile Jedi who look too much like Jan Dursema's Jedi from other series. I also have a problem with the fact that there's really no central Jedi figure. No Luke or Yoda, someone Cade could inspire to be. Everyone is shades of gray or evil in the Legacy world. Star Wars is about good and evil and there should be at least one strong GOOD character.

My problem with Jedi vs Sith is that it felt like a generic fantasy story (and not a good one at that) that they decided to write and call it SW. Add that that a central character (that boy) who was ten times more unlikeable and annoying than Cade. The only thing resembling SW in that comic was the lightsbers and Bane.

Sorry for getting off-track. I wouldn't mind Kerra being in the vain of Zayne, who was off-beat and likeable. It sounds like an interesting era to explore.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 02:26 AM   #10
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

I do see your point about the Jedi in Legacy. Even though I like Wolf and Shado, its more for visuals than characterization. I think Legacy hasn't done a good job developing their Jedi and went back to Clone Wars-era Jedi instead of more plausible NJO/LOTF Jedi or just making interesting Legacy-era Jedi. I'm also a little disappointed that the Sith Lords haven't been as well developed as they could've been thus far with the exception of Krayt and Wrrylok.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 03:27 AM   #11
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Hopefully the new Jedi they introduced recently will develop nicely.

I like Krayt and Wrrylok a great deal. Wrrylok's got a little bit of Palpatine in him although I don't see him as strong powerwise as Palpatine.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 04:48 AM   #12
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Oh, yeah, the annoyingly reactionary Jedi get on my nerves, too. "Oh, we're Jedi whose reason for existence is to help others. Let's hide in a cave." Go and DO something already!
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 03:27 PM   #13
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

Wrrylok definitely has the manipulation thing going like Palpatine, but he seems far more inclined to lead from behind the scenes, which is fine, but I would like to see more focus on him and how he is keeping the Sith in line. I would like to see more challenges to his authority. I thought they were building up Nihl to be that type. Nihl, Talon, Stryfe, Maladi
are all pretty interesting, visually at least, and I hope they get their due.

Though you weren't comparing Krayt with Palpatine...I got some thoughts about that too. With Krayt, I think there was a built-in weakness with him that prevented him from being a truly Palpatine like villian. Sure he conquered the galaxy and he used guile to do it, though Palpatine was out front and fooling everyone the whole time, which took more skill than what Krayt did. Then by having Krayt so dependent on Cade to survive, it gave him a good rationale for pursuing Cade, but it also insured that Krayt wasn't going to kill Cade...at least until he had the cure. With Palpatine, once he realized that Luke couldn't be turned, he had no qualms about frying him.

Another thing that bothers me about the One Sith is that too many have dyed their skin red. I know its in honor of the ancient Sith race, but it makes them all look too much like Darth Maul IMO. One thing I liked about the Old Republic Sith was that they all had different looks. I wish they would throw a few more different looking Sith Lords in the mix. So far, there's only been Nihl and Krayt who didn't get the dye job, or weren't naturally red.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 03:34 PM   #14
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral
 
The Mirrorball Man's Avatar
 
Location: Switzerland
View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
As much as I love the Legacy series, it suffers because Cade Skywalker is not likeable and does not grow as a character.
I couldn't disagree more. Cade is the reason why I read Legacy.
__________________
Check out my deviantArt gallery!
The Mirrorball Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 04:00 PM   #15
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars: Knight Errant comic/novel

DarKush wrote: View Post
Wrrylok definitely has the manipulation thing going like Palpatine, but he seems far more inclined to lead from behind the scenes, which is fine, but I would like to see more focus on him and how he is keeping the Sith in line. I would like to see more challenges to his authority. I thought they were building up Nihl to be that type. Nihl, Talon, Stryfe, Maladi
are all pretty interesting, visually at least, and I hope they get their due.

Though you weren't comparing Krayt with Palpatine...I got some thoughts about that too. With Krayt, I think there was a built-in weakness with him that prevented him from being a truly Palpatine like villian. Sure he conquered the galaxy and he used guile to do it, though Palpatine was out front and fooling everyone the whole time, which took more skill than what Krayt did. Then by having Krayt so dependent on Cade to survive, it gave him a good rationale for pursuing Cade, but it also insured that Krayt wasn't going to kill Cade...at least until he had the cure. With Palpatine, once he realized that Luke couldn't be turned, he had no qualms about frying him.

Another thing that bothers me about the One Sith is that too many have dyed their skin red. I know its in honor of the ancient Sith race, but it makes them all look too much like Darth Maul IMO. One thing I liked about the Old Republic Sith was that they all had different looks. I wish they would throw a few more different looking Sith Lords in the mix. So far, there's only been Nihl and Krayt who didn't get the dye job, or weren't naturally red.
Good points. I like Wrrylok too because he's fairly dimensional for a Sith. Palpatine was always my favorite and Ian McDirmind always did such a great job bringing Palpatine to life considering he was working with a one-dimensional character.

Totally agreed about the Sith tattoos. For once, I'd like to see a Sith without one. I doubt Anakin would have done that if he hadn't of been scared. Then again, I can't stand all the ridiculous tattoos professional atheletes have either so I'm definitely anti-tatoo in general.

Last edited by DarthPipes; February 15 2010 at 11:54 PM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.