RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 594
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Would Marvel be the same without Jack Kirby's Creations?
Yes 7 28.00%
no 18 72.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

Would Stan Still be the Man without Jack (King) Kirby?

In light of the decision that left the Kirby estate without any rights to the characters he helped co-create. What to our board members think about the decision?
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 07:23 PM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Would Stan Still be the Man without Jack (King) Kirby?

would stan still be the man without King Kirby? YES.

would Marvel be the same without King Kirby? NO.

Stan's status as THE MAN is not dependent on King Kirby's presence, see Lee/Ditko Spider-Man for one example. Marvel without Kirby, however would not be the same since Kirby was responsible for creating so many characters' looks or co-creating the characters themselves. or even creating characters. obviously, without Kirby's place at Marvel stuff he co-created would've been done by someone else and may not have been as good, but we'll never know.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yes, his ideas weren't dependent on Kirby. Did he help, no question, no argument but Stan Lee would've just had another visionary flesh out the art.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post

Yeah, the poll question and thread topic aren't the same! Which do I vote for?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I know, so I didn't vote.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:57 PM   #6
the G-man
Commodore

Lee was at his best with Kirby. Kirby was at his best with Lee. Both had successes without the other (Lee with Ditko, Everett and Buscema, Kirby with Simon) but never to the heights they had when they collaborated.

As for Kirby signing away his rights, let's not forget that he was a middle aged man at the time, with a long history of performing work for hire. Unlike Siegel and Shuster (two kids barely out of high school when they created Superman) Kirby had been both a freelancer and an executive in the industry by the time he worked at "the House of Ideas." While he certainly deserved a bigger byline during his lifetime, it is disingenous, at best, for his family to now claim he didn't know what his contracts said.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 11:28 PM   #7
Checkmate
Commodore

I honestly don't get the worship.

Sure, they created what would one day become great characters, but all that early stuff was utter crap. It wasn't until better writers came along and put some real life and interest into them that they became the legends they are now.

What's more, his real life personality is obnoxious and off-putting. The whole "Generalissimo" is just ridiculously stupid.

It's like the worship Gygax got for creating D&D. All of the stuff he wrote was banal and flat-out dumb (especially game mechanics wise), and it wasn't until others came along and improved upon it that they became much more interesting and (at least in other RPGs) sensible.

<shrugs>
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 11:40 PM   #8
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Checkmate wrote: View Post

Sure, they created what would one day become great characters, but all that early stuff was utter crap. It wasn't until better writers came along and put some real life and interest into them that they became the legends they are now.

What's more, his real life personality is obnoxious and off-putting. The whole "Generalissimo" is just ridiculously stupid.

It's like the worship Gygax got for creating D&D. All of the stuff he wrote was banal and flat-out dumb (especially game mechanics wise), and it wasn't until others came along and improved upon it that they became much more interesting and (at least in other RPGs) sensible.

<shrugs>

True, comics from that era are simple and juvenile. The truly great stories would be not be written until subsequent decades. However, it's important to note that the people who went on to write those great stories are the ones who grew up reading the stories by Lee and Kirby. They were the ones who laid the groundwork for subsequent generations. They created these characters that captured the imagination of those kids who picked up an issue of Fantastic Four or X-Men, and later went on to be the ones who wrote them.
Old August 1 2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post

Yeah, the poll question and thread topic aren't the same! Which do I vote for?
Yeah, that messed me up as well. I voted "yes" to the thread title, when I should have voted "no" to the poll question.
Old August 2 2011, 02:16 AM   #10
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Sure, they created what would one day become great characters, but all that early stuff was utter crap.
yuh, right, ok. That's why it's the classic Lee stories that are STILL being made into movies, and that are still considered the classic mythos of these characters.

riiiiight.

Lee knows more about writing - real, literary writing - than ANY of the writers today. Hell, these guys can't even master Elizabethan English!
Old August 2 2011, 02:36 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post

Sure, they created what would one day become great characters, but all that early stuff was utter crap.
yuh, right, ok. That's why it's the classic Lee stories that are STILL being made into movies, and that are still considered the classic mythos of these characters.

riiiiight.

Lee knows more about writing - real, literary writing - than ANY of the writers today. Hell, these guys can't even master Elizabethan English!
IIRC, Stan couldn't either.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:14 AM   #12
Checkmate
Commodore

riiiiight.

You seem to have trouble with it yourself.

I think I'll stick with my opinion on the subject rather than a rabid fanboy's who thinks "yuh" is an actual word. Doubly so when that fanboy uses it in the same rant he complains about other people's writing.

Love the random use of the shift key, too.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 06:42 AM   #13
Agenda
Fleet Captain

You could call his writing outdated if you like, but Lee's runs on Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and Thor are still among the best ever for those characters. All subsequent writers of these and other Lee/Kirby, Lee/Ditko creations based much of their work on his work. He was a true creative genius, especially when you consider how much he wrote. He was practically writing the entire Marvel Universe single-handedly in the 60s. Maybe his dialogue could be considered somewhat simplistic and a little juvenile by today's standards but it fit the times in which he lived, and that's all that matters.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 09:28 AM   #14
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

What I have to laugh at is that comics are a visual medium and it wasn't only Stan's writing that sold the books. It was Jack Kirby's dynamic art.
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 05:57 PM   #15
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

riiiiight.

You seem to have trouble with it yourself.

I think I'll stick with my opinion on the subject rather than a rabid fanboy's who thinks "yuh" is an actual word. Doubly so when that fanboy uses it in the same rant he complains about other people's writing.

Love the random use of the shift key, too.
"Rabid fanboy...?"

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll stack my ability to use the Queen's English properly against your own any day (and by "Queen's English," I refer to the current queen, though you have erroneously stated that I endeavored to use the English of the sixteenth century). I find it most unfortunate that you're unable to recognize the use of colloquial slang for emphasis and its propriety in the context of a "chat" board. Context appears to be a concept that eludes you, as is hypocrisy, since your own post (note: "post," as opposed to formal writing) would hardly find favor with Strunk and White.

I'll bet you were broken-hearted when you found no typos to exploit.

Thus, you are either a fool or an asshole. Which is it?