Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 22 2011, 12:39 PM   #31
Starship Freak
Lieutenant Commander

Re: That Spacedock "shuttle" is actually a Tug

This ship: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd0161.jpg
Old August 22 2011, 02:04 PM   #32
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Starship Freak wrote: View Post
Ask Bill George about the mystery "ship" with oberth-like qualities that´s "hanging" to one of the main central walls in spacedock!
According to http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Tr..._of_the_Titans and http://www.ralphmcquarrie.com/galler...rek/index.html, the ship on the left of this screenshot is Ralph McQuarrie's design of the Enterprise for Planet of the Titans. Is this the ship you are referring to?
Old August 22 2011, 08:33 PM   #33
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I think he's talking about the one closer to the center of the picture, very dark but in full view near the bottom of the angled pylon. Even if it wasn't, I'd still like info on that one!
Old August 22 2011, 08:36 PM   #34
Timo
Admiral

Yeah - it's the almost black (due to the shadows), boxy thing sitting to the bottom right of the Enterprise, almost directly between the two tug-shuttles. Go to five o'clock from the secondary hull of the hero ship, approximately by one width of the secondary hull. Look below the two pitch black rectangles on the central structure of the dock, the square one and the narrow slit one.

The mystery ship (or barge, or module, or whatever) is attached to the central structure of the dock , possibly being just part of the matte painting but more probably not because that part of the dock appeared to be a real physical model.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2011, 01:01 PM   #35
Starship Freak
Lieutenant Commander

Yup, that´s the one, the one B.J. and Timo mentions. We have discussed it earlier in another forum, and if you brighten and contrast the "ship", you can definitely see nacelles there in my opinion. But there is no official info anywhere, so if Bill George can help...
Old August 23 2011, 10:41 PM   #36
Basill
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
The mystery ship (or barge, or module, or whatever) is attached to the central structure of the dock, possibly being just part of the matte painting but more probably not because that part of the dock appeared to be a real physical model.

Timo Saloniemi
Oh, it was definitely a model...

but did they ever use a matte painting for any of those Spacedock shots, other than Andrew Proberts TNG version from "11001001" (which somehow utilized miniature work as well if I recall)?

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Basill; August 24 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 02:42 AM   #37
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I haven't been following this thread so don't know if it was mentioned, but the shuttle appeared in TNG: Conspiracy.
Old August 24 2011, 04:49 AM   #38
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
I haven't been following this thread so don't know if it was mentioned, but the shuttle appeared in TNG: Conspiracy.
In stock footage from TVH, yes.
Old August 24 2011, 05:04 AM   #39
Dukhat
Commodore

What's amazing is that they had all that interior space, and there's only two ship models in the station besides the shuttles (and I'm not talking about the Enterprise and the Excelsior, which are clearly matted into the shot). You'd think they could have bought a few TMP Enterprise model kits and did some kitbashing for extra Spacedock background ships...
Old August 24 2011, 05:37 AM   #40
David cgc
Vice Admiral

They did a better job filling it out in TVH (at the end, especially), but you're right. Maybe it was the weekend when the Enterprise got home.

Actually, wait, I know why they did that. If there had been other Starfleet ships docked, there would've been a plot hole about why none of them pursued the Enterprise when it was stolen. Even if we assumed that Excelsior was closest to the right door and the dockmaster or whoever was in charge thought she'd be enough to stop Kirk, one of the other ships could've still begun a pursuit when Excelsior broke down outside.
Old August 24 2011, 01:17 PM   #41
Timo
Admiral

Curious... In Basill's photo, is the horizontally extending pier below the two dark holes and above the "mystery barge" present at all? The illumination makes it difficult to tell.

No obvious fixing points for the "barge", either.

Timo Saloniemi
Old August 24 2011, 06:52 PM   #42
Dukhat
Commodore

David cgc wrote: View Post
They did a better job filling it out in TVH (at the end, especially), but you're right. Maybe it was the weekend when the Enterprise got home.
Although I will point out that the other ships in Spacedock at the end of TVH were also matted into the shot, not actually inside the station like the Planet of the Titans and barge ships were.

Actually, wait, I know why they did that. If there had been other Starfleet ships docked, there would've been a plot hole about why none of them pursued the Enterprise when it was stolen. Even if we assumed that Excelsior was closest to the right door and the dockmaster or whoever was in charge thought she'd be enough to stop Kirk, one of the other ships could've still begun a pursuit when Excelsior broke down outside.
That's a good point. But then why didn't the Planet of the Titans ship go after them? Or maybe the other ships' captains just assumed the Excelsior would catch them, and didn't bother?

Timo wrote: View Post
Curious... In Basill's photo, is the horizontally extending pier below the two dark holes and above the "mystery barge" present at all? The illumination makes it difficult to tell.
Yeah, I can see something directly underneath the larger black hole; presumably the ramp.
Old August 24 2011, 08:57 PM   #43
Timo
Admiral

One might assume that most starships aren't capable of departing without lengthy preparations, even when they aren't recovering from a years-long refit. One to three such ships per Spacedock would have been quite realistic, I guess. More than that, not so much.

The inability to launch at a moment's notice might help explain why the fleet in "By Inferno's Light" was in danger even when the supposed threat was the sublight explosion of a star ten lightminutes away. It might well be that ships attempting a cold start of warp engines in less than ten minutes would blow up just as certainly as if they waited for the star's explosion to catch up with them.

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 1 2012, 11:17 AM   #44
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Here's a photo of the actual filming miniature.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; June 1 2012 at 11:50 AM.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 12:30 PM   #45
Search4
Commander

As a big fan of filming miniatures - i collect them - thank you for the detailed close up. What a beauty.
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote