Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 15 2011, 03:17 AM   #1
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

Original Transformers animated show the best version of the characters

With the new movie out, does anyone out there believe the original version was the best? I don't know about our board members but I thought the original had a charm the movies did not. I would have much preferred a new animated Transformers movies than the ones out now. Something was lost in the translation.
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 07:28 AM   #2
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Original Transformers animated show the best version of the charac

the Marvel UK comics are the best Transformers fiction. the cartoon's shit, with the exception of the animated movie.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Jono
Rear Admiral

The cartoon is pretty simple in terms of story and characters. As with a lot of cartoons from the 80s it hasn't aged fantastically, plus there are a lot of animation errors and oddities. I think a lot of fan look back on it with rose coloured glasses, which is fine. Thinks are often more awesome when your a kid. I don't think the cartoon was shit and it does hold a special place in my memories.

Also a lot of what Transformers for me was the toys, what they did in the cartoon was pretty much didn't matter to me when I had those little bits of plastic in my hands. Still a big gutted that my mum gave my Transformers away to goodwill...she claims I said it was okay, but I can't recall ever been asked.

To the question: is it the best version of the characters? Appearwise I do general the original G1 look over the G2, powermasters, Armada and movies. Only the War Within comics have put together versions of the characters that I've thought were better. As to who the characters are...well, they all pretty much share the same stuff as the original.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I don't know if the G1 version is the best ever, but it's certainly light-years ahead of the current movie version.
Old July 15 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

To me, G1 is Transformers. Everything else was just playing around with different ideas, but Optimus Prime is a red truck as he is in G1, played by Peter Cullen, Megatron is a gun, voiced by Frank Welker. This series defined the characters as they always will be to me. None of the rest count.

I don't say this purely nostalgically though. The original show was cheesy and cheaply animated, but it had the most personality and character of any series since, including the new movies. And it was a hell of a lot of fun. Personally, I find that the strongest points of the new movies were the parts directly lifted from G1.
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
Braxton
Fleet Captain

I like the first and third movies but I do not like the "Primes" and all that stuff they put together. That's where the cartoon really does work better by having only one Prime at a time and that each new Prime succeeds a previous one because the Matrix chose them (the Matrix has the essence of Primus in it). It also seems that Optimus Prime, in these new movies, is not a 'great leader' like portrayed in G1. Though he does seem to turn into one in this last movie it's still not like the Optimus Prime that has been portrayed over the years. When it comes to Autobots and Decepticons, G1 is the best. Beast Wars and Beast Machines are great as well for continuing the story of G1 in a new form, whereas the other shows are all new and their deals.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2011, 08:47 PM   #7
captcalhoun
Admiral

^the essence of Primus bit is from the comics. and the Prime lineage is IIRC, from the UK comic, which Simon Furman copied into his US stories.

First came Prima, then Prime Nova, then Sentinal Prime, then Optimus Prime.

and then Rodimus Prime. so why was Ultra Magnus never Prime?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 03:12 AM   #8
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
It was basically written into his personality. He was always described as a soldier who was a great leader, but preferred to serve than lead.

The closest we ever came to this was "Animated", where Magnus was the highest level leader among the Autobots. There however "Prime" was not the highest title but instead it was "Magnus".
Old July 16 2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Braxton
Fleet Captain

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
^the essence of Primus bit is from the comics. and the Prime lineage is IIRC, from the UK comic, which Simon Furman copied into his US stories.

First came Prima, then Prime Nova, then Sentinal Prime, then Optimus Prime.

You're right, it was the comics, can't believe I made that mistake.

I haven't seen TF Prime but Magnus is the highest title? Really? I dunno, seems weird that Prime isn't the top dog of the Autobots.

Braxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 06:13 AM   #10
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

NextGen123 wrote: View Post
With the new movie out, does anyone out there believe the original version was the best? I don't know about our board members but I thought the original had a charm the movies did not. I would have much preferred a new animated Transformers movies than the ones out now. Something was lost in the translation.
I think the original cartoon and comic books had the same distinct factor that made them successful: the Transformers were the primary characters. We got to know them, their quirks, their manner of speech and so on.

In the live action movies, they're set dressing for the most part as evidenced by a good half hour plus of "Dark of the Moon" being about Sam's job hunt (which frankly was dull IMO).
Old July 16 2011, 10:55 AM   #11
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It's an ok show for 12 year olds and below - beyond that, I'm not sure what deeper analysis is possible.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 11:49 AM   #12
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
It's an ok show for 12 year olds and below - beyond that, I'm not sure what deeper analysis is possible.
It's not at all a deep or clever show, but that doesn't mean there's not something to be gained by older viewers.
I enjoyed the personalities of the characters, although simplistic, and the schemes more now than I would have as a kid. Fun is not a quality that is only for people under 12.
Old July 16 2011, 01:48 PM   #13
Admiral Shran
Admiral

God Magnus wrote: View Post
I think the original cartoon and comic books had the same distinct factor that made them successful: the Transformers were the primary characters. We got to know them, their quirks, their manner of speech and so on.

In the live action movies, they're set dressing for the most part as evidenced by a good half hour plus of "Dark of the Moon" being about Sam's job hunt (which frankly was dull IMO).
QFT!

I've never understood why the Transformers are secondary characters in their own franchise.
Old July 16 2011, 02:08 PM   #14
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
God Magnus wrote: View Post

QFT!

I've never understood why the Transformers are secondary characters in their own franchise.
I've just been watching the special features on the DVD of the first movie, hearing Michael Bay ramble on how the movie is all about the humans and that's what makes it believable, and in my mind I'm screaming "WTF IT'S ABOUT GIANT ROBOTS YOU IDIOT!".
And yet the human elements of these movies failed really hard. These are the parts that fell flat, and drag the movies down. I enjoyed the first and third movie only because of the action. Michael Bay is known for making things explode, not for his deep character moments.
Old July 16 2011, 02:23 PM   #15
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

NextGen123 wrote: View Post
I like Animated and Beast Wars over the original G1 cartoon, but anything is better than the Michael Bay atrocity.