Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 31 2011, 06:52 AM   #1
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

Was Transformers Generation One canceled in Season 3?

Watching the DVD's of Transformers Generation One: Why did it end so abruptly in the start of season 3? With the return of Optimus Prime and the evolution of the Headmasters, it looked like the story was going to continue. Did the show get canceled or did Hasbro believe it was time to stop production?

I saw on Amazon.com there was a Headmasters series in Japan. However many reviewers claim it never matched the quality of Generation One.

Are there any shows that followed Generation One that match the quality of writing? The only reason I bothered to watch this show was the fact that many Marvel Comics writers worked on the show.
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Was Transformers Generation One canceled in Season 3?

Short story: nobody knows. Long story: ...actually, it's about the same.
Old July 31 2011, 07:02 AM   #3
NextGen123
Lieutenant Commander

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Short story: nobody knows. Long story: ...actually, it's about the same.

Are there any DVD's you could reccomend? I saw a few called Transformers:Energon. Are they a continuation of the Generation One mythology? I am hoping some of the Marvel writers like Len Wein might have participated in future series.

Another question I have would be why wasn't there a Transformers/G.I. Joe team up or series of some kind? I know there was a Marvel comic years ago. Why wasn't there an animated version?

Last edited by NextGen123; July 31 2011 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Content
NextGen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 07:23 AM   #4
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

I have no idea. I don't follow most of the fiction, but all the information you could ever want to know is on TFWiki. Just look up the shows in question.
Old July 31 2011, 12:45 PM   #5
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Energon is a sort of American/Japanese co-production, I think. It's in an entirely different continuity than Generation One. It, Armada and Cybertron form a trilogy. It sort of has homages to G1 of course, but is not the same thing.

The Beast Wars series is supposed to be pretty good, although the CG animation is a bit dated. Also, "Transformers animated"-released around the time of the first two films-is also pretty good, although the designs are more cartoony than usual.

The current Transformers series is Transformers: Prime, which has CG and largely borrows stuff from the Bay movies.

If you'd rather just read G1, IDW (Who also make the current Star Trek comics) has been publishing comics for several years that utilize the G1 characters (Although not exactly the same continuity). Dreamwave also did a G1 series as well.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I picked up the complete Transformers series a week or so ago and saw the Headmasters DVD on the shelf, but didn't get it. When I went home, I read up on it and found out that it continued the G1 story, so I went back and got it the next day. I sampled a bit of it and yeah, the animation doesn't look that good and it's in japanese with english subtitles, but I'm still looking forward to seeing where the story would have gone.

Fun fact: Headmasters takes place in 2011.

Last edited by Agent Richard07; July 31 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

It would be nice to know for the sake of curiosity why S4 for the US is only those 3 Headmaster episodes. I just recently finished the Japanese Headmaster series and despite the subtitles enjoyed it. They killed off Prime again, restore Rodimus only to have him go off with Kup& Blurr in search of a new home. Leaving Cerebros/Ft. Max in charge. Those are bullet points but I found the stories enjoyable and there is a narrative they follow even if they stray for a few episodes at a time.

I also liked how some toys never explored as characters due to a cut short S4 show up here. Likely as they became available at retail. I'm curious about the next Japanese series, aka S5, called Master Victory that may see a North American release if Headmasters sells well enough.

I enjoyed the Dreamwave series from the early years of last decade and currently like what IDW is doing. Big story is kicking off called Chaos and TF is going bimonthly till end of the year.

Also, it was ironic as I put in Headmasters the future date was 2011!!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Headmasters really is a horrible sequel to the original G1. The Japanese writers just didn't have an affinity for the original characters and they even went the extra mile to kill Prime off again. Why?

Some of the characters are interesting most especially Sixshot, but its sequels Masterforce and Victory are much better imo especially Masterforce.
Old July 31 2011, 02:50 PM   #9
Agent Richard07
Admiral

They're supposed to be releasing Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory in one DVD set this fall, but from what I understand, Masterforce veers away from G1's continuity and re-imagines a lot of things.
Old July 31 2011, 03:05 PM   #10
shivkala
Rear Admiral

For US television, Beast Wars and it's sequel Beast Machines are the only continuations of G1. I definitely recommend Beast Wars. It does take some getting used to the use of beast modes instead of vehicles, and yes, at this point, the CGI looks outdated (though it was pretty cutting edge at the time), but it's an awesome show.

I don't want to spoil anything, but if you're a fan of G1, you will definitely be rewarded for watching the show!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 03:11 PM   #11
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Also Transformers Animated, which is pretty much a tribute to the original.
Old July 31 2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Did many 80s cartoons go beyond three seasons?

We never got more than series 1 of Transformers and Thundercats in the UK. At the time.
Old July 31 2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Thundercats had 4 seasons.
Old July 31 2011, 03:35 PM   #14
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Also Transformers Animated, which is pretty much a tribute to the original.
Transformers Animated was pretty good. It's a shame it didn't go on. It's the first transformers series since G1 that got my attention.
Old July 31 2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think the show could've ended in S3 without the Headmasters stuff, it had an okay finale: Prime comes back, Galvatron and the Decepticons agree to stop fighting (at least for a while). Would've been a fine finale.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote