Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?
A 13 22.81%
B 26 45.61%
C 12 21.05%
D 2 3.51%
F 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5 2011, 05:21 AM   #76
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

^You could try reminding her that Orci and Kurtzman also wrote Transformers 2.
Old August 5 2011, 05:42 AM   #77
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Anyone see Harrison Ford on "Conan Obrien"?

Harrison Ford asked the audience

"Where were you this weekend?"
Old August 5 2011, 03:44 PM   #78
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

That's funny!!
Did Conan hava a funny answer, the crowd laugh? Curious.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 04:56 PM   #79
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

He also abused a Smurf.
Old August 5 2011, 05:18 PM   #80
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

That's funny!!
The crowd laughed

http://teamcoco.com/video/harrison-f...ayed-by-family
Old August 5 2011, 07:09 PM   #81
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

That's funny!!
The crowd laughed

Awesome, thanks for the link.
Old August 5 2011, 09:39 PM   #82
indranee
Vice Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^You could try reminding her that Orci and Kurtzman also wrote Transformers 2.
Hah! She already knows that. Impossibly precocious for a ten-year-old. And the fact that she knows this is due to this new thing about her becoming a screenwriter!!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 09:40 PM   #83
indranee
Vice Admiral

That's funny!!
The crowd laughed

Thanks for the link!
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 01:38 AM   #84
Mr Light
Admiral

Saw it yesterday; I thought it was decent but not amazing. It just felt smaller than I expected. It was just one tower with a few fliers, I was expecting something bigger. Also it's convenient how the aliens barely bother to use their hand guns and just lope around like beasts. I was expecting a little more "aliens" than "cowboys", I guess. I'm not a big western fan.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2011, 05:30 AM   #85
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I just got back from this and it was awful. Granted, I was sitting a bit off-center and the speakers were cranked way too loud to the point where I had to cover my ears during the action sequences, but it still sucked balls. And here's the thing: I loved Battle: LA, and they're pretty much the same movie. So why does one suck and the other rule?

- Characters: Battle has upstanding Marines who are terrified of the aliens, but fight back with boundless courage. C&A has two mains that are loathsome, cruel and humorless. And no one is anywhere near as afraid as the aliens as they should be.

- Story: Battle starts as a rescue story, moves into survival, then ends in attack. C&A is one big hunt movie. Incidents happen, but nothing much changes.

- Kids: Battle has some kids that must be protected and comforted, and are credibly useless. C&A has a precocious youngun, who, trusty dog by his side, kills him a full-grown alien. Puke.

- Women: Battle has two tough women. C&A has a dead flashback chick and a humorless, character-free broad.

- The ending: Battle finishes on a tough but hopeful note. C&A ends with everyone joyfully celebrating a mere day or so after incredibly traumatic events, complete with gratuitous American flags everywhere. Yuck.

- The matchup: I never believed the cowboys and their dinky little pistols could actually down those aliens. Though the Marines were badly outmatched, with their modern weaponry, they at least had a fighting chance.

This one's a real stinker; I haven't disliked a movie this much since (Pretentious) Days of Summer. D.

RandyS wrote: View Post
Screw the critics. Go see it and use your own brain to decide if you like it or not.
See, some would say that the critics are there to help you decide whether or not to see it.

indranee wrote: View Post
Hi guys, just a quick question: can we take a 10-year old to see this movie?
No, no no. The second half is nonstop violence. I'd slap this one with an R if I were in charge of things. It's worlds away from the goofy, all-in-good fun cartoon battles of Captain America.

And please, if you're even thinking about taking a 10-year-old to PG-13 movies, consult a good web site, like this one.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 03:57 AM   #86
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

GRADE: B

I finally got around to seeing this today. Caught a matinee in a 300 seater that was about 1/2 full and the crowd seemed into it. A bit too much at first. There was more idle chit chat the first 10min of the movie but it finally calmed down.

I really enjoyed it. The casting was great. Clancy Brown as the town Preacher and Sam Rockwell as the Saloon owner made for a great supporting cast. Percy Dollarhyde, son of Harrison Ford's character Col.Dollarhyde is a great comic foil during the first act.

I like how at first you really are meant to not like Col.Dollarhyde (Ford) but over the course of the movie his likable nature emerges. Especially in the scenes with the boy Emmett and his adopted Indian son Nat. That last scene was really good during the raid.

Despite trying the revelation of Olivia Wilde's Ella had been spoiled to me. I guess what I'd like to know is what is her true form? Did her race come before these invading races? I know it's not needed for the movie but I find it strands I'm curious about.

The aliens could've been anything imo, any obstacle to overcome and this group working together to get back what was theirs would've been fun to watch.

I really think at it's core it's a solid Western and worth seeing. Glad I was able to contribute to it while it's at the theater. I'd recommend it for pure fun and escapism.
Old August 14 2011, 08:41 AM   #87
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I like how at first you really are meant to not like Col.Dollarhyde (Ford) but over the course of the movie his likable nature emerges. Especially in the scenes with the boy Emmett and his adopted Indian son Nat. That last scene was really good during the raid.
Nothing he did could make me forgive him for the viciousness and cruelty he'd shown Nat up to that point (to say nothing of torturing the hired hand, or the completely unbelievable and inexplicable psychotic nature of his son, who by the character's internal logic should have been banished long before the movie began). I frankly wanted to see him take a bullet for Nat; that the Indian died before the hunky-dory ending filled with American flags gave me a rotten aftertaste to an already calamitous non-entertainment.

One of the reasons the movie tanked is because the under-25 male crowd opted not to show up. I wonder if that's in any way reflective of an increasingly ethnically diverse youth not being too interested in seeing strictly white cowboys kick ass and take names, particularly given how those same 19th-century guys treated blacks and Hispanics.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 01:40 PM   #88
Mr Light
Admiral

If the movie was unsuccessful I'd say it's more because young people don't like Westerns. That was my main complaint about it, it was basically a Western movie that happened to have aliens in it.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 04:46 PM   #89
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
If the movie was unsuccessful I'd say it's more because young people don't like Westerns. That was my main complaint about it, it was basically a Western movie that happened to have aliens in it.
^
I've been on the fence about seeing this one. I didn't like the book it was 'based' on and the trailer didn't grab me. But don't you think that the inclusion of aliens would counter younger fans displeasure who might not be interested in solely in a Western?

To Gaith,

I think that's some interesting commentary on potential diverse viewership, or lack thereof, for the film that you made. One way around that could've been to make the main characters black, Latino, white, and Native American, not just majority white. Tweak the standard Western story that might seem stale or passe for contemporary audiences. Also, cast younger actors than Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford. I like them both, and there inclusion is one of the reasons I am considering going to see this film, but to rope younger folks in, it might be better to just hire people they might be more into.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2011, 07:57 PM   #90
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Nothing he did could make me forgive him for the viciousness and cruelty he'd shown Nat up to that point (to say nothing of torturing the hired hand, or the completely unbelievable and inexplicable psychotic nature of his son, who by the character's internal logic should have been banished long before the movie began). I frankly wanted to see him take a bullet for Nat; that the Indian died before the hunky-dory ending filled with American flags gave me a rotten aftertaste to an already calamitous non-entertainment.
He was mean to Nat twice that we saw. At the start when he blames him for letting Percy get into trouble. Then again when he tells Nat that "those stories weren't meant for you". However, what is clear is that when Nat as a child wandered onto his property that Col.Dolarhyde took him in. Raised him and showed him some compassion. Enough so that when Nat is telling the Indian Chief about him, Nat brags on him winning over the Chief. I'm not too unsure Woodrow Dolarhyde's "meanness" is exclusive to Nat. He loved Percy (hence no banishment but he was a spoiled rich kid it does seem) also, and we know he loved Nat by his confession at the end, but he was going to give him a hella a mean talking down. Not anymore "mean" than he gave to Nat. My dad gave me some stern bordering on mean talking downs, he loved me and I'd bet I'm not unique in that experience.

As for torturing the cowhand well, it seems he had reason to believe he might not have been an honest hand to start with. He then feeds Dolarhyde a story that sounds bizarre. Capone and Hoffa would've done worse and gangster movies seem acceptable to that type of torture.