Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade Cowboys & Aliens?
A 13 22.81%
B 26 45.61%
C 12 21.05%
D 2 3.51%
F 4 7.02%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1 2011, 05:31 PM   #46
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Cowboys & Aliens: Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD **SPOILERS**

BillJ wrote: View Post
I wanted to like the movie, but the script was pretty bad. I almost busted out laughing when it's revealed the aliens are after gold. Really, gold?
Is gold really any worse than Unobtanium?
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 05:38 PM   #47
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think my biggest complaint about the movie is Olivia Wilde's character turning out to be an alien. It felt kinda cheap, like they did it just to provide exposition for the aliens. It made them feel a lot less scary having somebody there who already knows all about them.
Old August 1 2011, 05:40 PM   #48
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post

Why not? What would you prefer? Water?
Yea. Trans-galatic aliens take the time, resources, and trouble to invade earth - fight us - for liquified water when it's much more easily extractable in solid form as ice as close as our moon. Or it can be derived from hydrogen molecules much easier which is very plentiful in the galaxy.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 08:00 PM   #49
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

IndyJones wrote: View Post
I wanted to like the movie, but the script was pretty bad. I almost busted out laughing when it's revealed the aliens are after gold. Really, gold?
It absolutely is. It's easier to argue with, because we know what it is. It's like asking if gold would make less sense than dilithium for running the Enterprise's warp engines - the answer is "gold wouldn't make much sense, period, and I don't know what the other thing is like."

This one has tanked hard. It may lose the weekend to The Smurfs, and even if it squeaks by the projections now are for the blue dudes to pull in more money on first release than C&A.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:22 PM   #50
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Debating whether to see this or Captain America again.

I want it to be fun and kickass, but there's an awful lot of critics describing it as being pretty dull and generic...
Screw the critics. Go see it and use your own brain to decide if you like it or not.

Now, I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:31 PM   #51
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Well it seems Cowboys and Aliens edged out the Smurfs for #1 afterall. The reported figure is $36.4m for its opening 3-day haul.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:35 PM   #52
The Wormhole
Admiral

Let me say this movie is fucking awesome! It takes a standard western with all the typical western tropes but throws aliens into the mix and it totally works. All the characters were cool and fun. Even though Harrison Ford's character's son was annoying, he got what was coming to him (constantly getting his ass kicked by Daniel Craig) so I can tolerate him. I did think the relationship between Harrison Ford and the young Native American who was kind of his adopted son was interesting.

My only real complaint is with the aliens themselves, mainly that they're generic aliens for movies today. Computer generated beasts with weird anatomies, don't talk or really communicate in any known fashion. They consider humans to be a lower form of life, "like insects" and are performing unspecified experiments on them. And their ship has dark interiors with what looks like organic components. The aliens maybe disappointing but the cowboys themselves kick ass.

Best line of the movie: "Don't yank on it, it's not your pecker."
Old August 1 2011, 09:46 PM   #53
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
My only real complaint is with the aliens themselves, mainly that they're generic aliens for movies today. Computer generated beasts with weird anatomies, don't talk or really communicate in any known fashion. They consider humans to be a lower form of life, "like insects" and are performing unspecified experiments on them. And their ship has dark interiors with what looks like organic components. The aliens maybe disappointing but the cowboys themselves kick ass.
Thanks for the review and spoilers don't bug me at all.

Regarding the above, I always thought the way Trek depicted aliens they meet where they virtually instantaneously are able to communicate with each other as utterly absurd.

For me, it's far more realistic that in an alien invasion scenario we would not be able to communicate with them because much of language and communication is having a common frame of reference and without that it's virtually impossible to do so.

That may not work well for writers and the plot but it's much more realistic.

My hesitation seeing this film is still the fact that it's based on Western/Cowboy themes which typically I hate.
DarthTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 09:55 PM   #54
The Wormhole
Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Regarding the above, I always thought the way Trek depicted aliens they meet where they virtually instantaneously are able to communicate with each other as utterly absurd.

For me, it's far more realistic that in an alien invasion scenario we would not be able to communicate with them because much of language and communication is having a common frame of reference and without that it's virtually impossible to do so.

That may not work well for writers and the plot but it's much more realistic.
I won't deny it's realistic, but to me realism isn't entertaing.
Old August 1 2011, 10:41 PM   #55
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
It somehow seemed appropriate to me that a western with aliens was about a robbery, not an invasion.
Yep, it fit the milieu or genre or whatever.

This was pure popcorn fun. No deep thinking required or desired. If you like the people behind and/or in front of the camera, you'll probably like this movie.
Old August 2 2011, 01:19 AM   #56
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

It was a decent movie. I liked Daniel Craig and I thought Harrison Ford did a great job. Overall, it was pretty entertaining and I will pick it up when it comes out.

With that said, I must admit that I was left a little disappointed. Every other movie I've watched for the first time over the last several months really sucked me in, whether it be that I was grinning through out or really invested in what happens to the main characters or that I was just straight up having a ton of fun watching it. I've had some good luck picking movies lately. However, C&A failed to really suck me in. It was entertaining, but it never really got me "worked up". Based on this, I'll give it a B.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 01:57 AM   #57
Velocity
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
IndyJones wrote: View Post
It absolutely is. It's easier to argue with, because we know what it is. It's like asking if gold would make less sense than dilithium for running the Enterprise's warp engines - the answer is "gold wouldn't make much sense, period, and I don't know what the other thing is like."

Gold is desirable because of its properties like it doesn't combine with other elements readily -- it doesn't rust, etc. I think gold makes sense as the maguffin.
Fun movie. I think some people are just put off by the Western/SF mix. Firefly had the same problem at first. I must say that one of my favorite parts was Daniel Craig's ass in chaps.
Old August 2 2011, 02:54 AM   #58
RoJoHen
Awesome

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
It was a decent movie. I liked Daniel Craig and I thought Harrison Ford did a great job. Overall, it was pretty entertaining and I will pick it up when it comes out.

With that said, I must admit that I was left a little disappointed. Every other movie I've watched for the first time over the last several months really sucked me in, whether it be that I was grinning through out or really invested in what happens to the main characters or that I was just straight up having a ton of fun watching it. I've had some good luck picking movies lately. However, C&A failed to really suck me in. It was entertaining, but it never really got me "worked up". Based on this, I'll give it a B.
Yeah, agreed. It was fun, but I kept finding myself looking around the theater at other things.
Old August 2 2011, 03:17 AM   #59
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Other things in the theater were more interesting than the movie?

That's not a good sign.
Old August 2 2011, 03:27 AM   #60
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

It was ok, I guess. The plot is pretty standard, and predictable. There's some entertaining action, and Craig and Ford are always good. It just feels kinda hollow, though. There's something definitely missing. I couldn't help but think that I might have just preferred an actual western with this same cast, and just forget this alien nonsense.