Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 31 2011, 05:21 AM   #1
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
What Episode Did Your Favorite Character Become Your "Favorite"?

Tonight I watched one of my favorite episodes of the entire series, Before and After, and I started thinking about this question. I've mentioned many times that my favorite character on the series was Kes (And Lien's leaving kind of saddened me, because of this episode actually, but that's not what this thread is about) and this was the episode that solidified that.

Granted, I know the writers didn't have much for Lien in the 3 years she was on, but this was the episode that really showed me that when they had an awesome Kes Story to tell, Lien stood up to the plate and absolutely shined. That, and the new hairstyle (Which was so much better than the old look) I think really added a confidence to Kes, kind of like how Timeless added a confidence to Harry Kim that was much needed as the series went on. Many people say Warlord was Lien's best episode, and I can understand that but it was basically her playing someone else. In Before and After, she took the actual character of Kes to a whole new level, and it made me respect the character so much more in the episodes that came before.

Anyway, to the thread question. Was there an episode where your current favorite character solidified that fact that he/she was definitely your favorite?
Old July 31 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Re: What Episode Did Your Favorite Character Become Your "Favorite"?

For me, this is a hard question to answer since my favorite character from VOY changes so often. It's not like the other series where I definitely know who my favorite is (TOS = Spock, TNG = Data, DS9 = tie between Kira and Ezri, ENT = Archer). With VOY, I'll think one is my favorite one day and another the next day.

Though, to be fair, it often flips back and forth between Seven, the Doctor, Torres and Kes.

Right now, my favorite is probably Torres. And I think the episode that solidifies that for me is Faces.

That episode has some truly amazing work by Dawson, as both Klingon B'Elanna and Human B'Elanna. It really shows what the character is all about, deep down. She hates the fact that she's part-Klingon, but in many ways depends on her Klingon side, not just biologically.
Old July 31 2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Purdy Bear
Lieutenant Commander

My favourites have always been Janeway and Tuvok. For me Janeway became special in Coda, while Tuvok was the one where he became emotional and like a teenager (I dont know the name of that one).

Im re-watching the complete series from today with Caretaker so Im sure I'll let you know more.
Purdy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Jetfire

Right from the start I knew Seven Of Nine was awesome! Ok actually I would say "The Raven" is where I knew the character was gonna be something special.
Old July 31 2011, 03:46 PM   #5
M
Vice Admiral

Nice thread! But at the same time ... I can't really name any specific episode, where Kes became my favorite character (yes, I, too, love her). I either favored her right from the beginning or came to love her over the first couple of episodes; I can't really tell. It's the background of her character and the way Lien portrays her that makes me like her.

Forced to name my favorite Kes episode, however, I'd choose "Warlord", because I think it not only was a great showcase for Lien as an actress but was also a very good episode for Kes as a character. I'm specifically thinking of the scenes where we see her fighting against Tieran inside of her mind. She's such a strong character. Which is one of the reasons why I like her so much.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
creek_chub
Lieutenant Commander

It's hard to say who's my favorite because I like most of them to a certain degree. However, I do really like Tom. Ever since the episode where he says what he remembers from his childhood is crying in his room all the time (can't think of the name of it off the top of my head) I felt there was a vulnerability to his personality that he attempts to cover up by being a bit of an ass. It kinda makes me have a soft spot for him.
Old July 31 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
AuntKate
Commodore

Janeway in "Caretaker." I was so impressed with the way she put aside Chakotay's criminal record and focused, instead, on their mutual problem of finding and rescuing their missing crew members. I like the way she gave and demanded respect. Then, as the series went on, I felt she had to make some big sacrifices and maintain a strong facade in front of the crew. Yes, it had consequences, but she was still always there when they needed her, and she never complained or whined. I thought she was a wonderful example of a strong woman, and I give Trek credit for giving us such an inspiring character.

But then, I like all the captains best for one reason or another. Maybe it's a power thing.
Old July 31 2011, 04:28 PM   #8
HoneyBLilly
Commodore

Tuvok, the Doctor, and Janeway are my favorites.

Janeway became my favorite in Prime Factors.
The Doctor became a favorite in Lifesigns
And I always like Tuvok but he became a favorite in Riddles
Old August 1 2011, 12:44 AM   #9
Vinkula
Lieutenant Commander

creek_chub wrote: View Post
It's hard to say who's my favorite because I like most of them to a certain degree. However, I do really like Tom. Ever since the episode where he says what he remembers from his childhood is crying in his room all the time (can't think of the name of it off the top of my head) I felt there was a vulnerability to his personality that he attempts to cover up by being a bit of an ass. It kinda makes me have a soft spot for him.
It's from "Threshold"

My favourites are Tom and Janeway. Right from the start, I knew they are my favourites and past 2 years (I've been VOY fan), I never changed my favourites.
Old August 2 2011, 01:59 PM   #10
RoseDuneKat
Ensign

View RoseDuneKat's Twitter Profile

The Doctor became my favorite character in the Beowulf Episode. I forget what it's called.
RoseDuneKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Captain Ransom
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
For me, this is a hard question to answer since my favorite character from VOY changes so often. It's not like the other series where I definitely know who my favorite is
^I very much agree with this sentiment.

HoneyBLilly wrote: View Post
And I always like Tuvok but he became a favorite in Riddles
Agreed! :]

That episode was both cute and sad.

I have to be lame for a moment and admit that the part where Neelix starts up the Vulcan music in sick bay just cracks me up.

RoseDuneKat wrote: View Post
The Doctor became my favorite character in the Beowulf Episode. I forget what it's called.
It's "Heroes and Demons," I believe. I used to actually hate this episode, but I saw it again recently and thought it was pretty good - if you just watch it to have fun. The warrior chick is pretty funny, really.

Anyways, back on topic, this is a good question. I would have to say it's a toss up between Janeway, B'Elanna, and Tuvok, in that order. I don't know what episode exactly made me love B'Elanna, I just know it happened in the later seasons. My like for Janeway has more to do with the fact that she reminds me of an exceptional art instructor I know.

In fact, in the episode "The Good Shepard," there are parts that vividly remind me of how my art instructor approaches teaching. You can't just fall through the cracks! You are expected to give it your all, all the time.
Captain Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Supernuke
Commander

The doctor is my favorite! And Projections is the first one where I really knew that for sure.
Old August 4 2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Mareika
Commander

Chakotay is my fav.
I falled in love with him in the first minutes of Caretaker when I saw him as Marquis.
But my fav Chakotay episode is "Unity" (although I like all Chakotay episodes except of "The Fight").
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Art Vandelay
Captain

The Doctor became my favourite in Caretaker the moment he said: "Medical tricorder!"
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 12:40 PM   #15
spooky spice
Commander

AuntKate wrote: View Post
Janeway in "Caretaker." I was so impressed with the way she put aside Chakotay's criminal record and focused, instead, on their mutual problem of finding and rescuing their missing crew members. I like the way she gave and demanded respect. Then, as the series went on, I felt she had to make some big sacrifices and maintain a strong facade in front of the crew. Yes, it had consequences, but she was still always there when they needed her, and she never complained or whined. I thought she was a wonderful example of a strong woman, and I give Trek credit for giving us such an inspiring character.
I liked Janeway from the kick-off, and for the same reasons as AK