Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 5 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
23skidoo
Admiral

Cosmos returning to TV -thanks to Family Guy?

Seth MacFarlane just gained a bunch of respect. Fox has announced that he will be producing a followup to Carl Sagan's classic 1980 science series Cosmos for the National Geographic Channel. The original producers of Sagan's series - including his widow - are involved.

Sounds way cool and maybe we'll see a new DVD edition of the original show, too. (Likely not a Blu-ray, though, because it was partially produced on videotape.)

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...no-really.html

So why is this in the SF/F section? Because Cosmos was one of the first shows of its type to cross the line between documentary and SF. I first learned about it via an article in Starlog magazine that ran when the show first aired, because the show utilized (for the time) state of the art special effects, as well as SF-like sequences (in particular a simulated space voyage) to allow Sagan to tell his story. It'll be interesting to see of Cosmos 2.0 follows the same path, though if MacFarlane is a fan - and we've seen him give props to Doctor Who and Star Wars on Family Guy - I think we're in for a treat.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cosmos returning to TV -thanks to Family Guy?

I already watch a ton of Cosmos type shows - The Universe, Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, Naked Science, the list goes on - but I'll definitely check this one out, too, even if a show that's palatable to a broadcast audience probably is just going to skim the surface of what the other series have already tackled in more depth.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 06:56 PM   #3
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Will it be edited for Rednecks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Zombie Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Zombie Klaus's Twitter Profile

sweet!
Zombie Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 07:32 PM   #5
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

There's times when watching McFarlane's stuff that you see glimpses of a deeper personality than fart jokes and homicidal toddlers.

I'm glad he's using the street cred he's built up to do something like this.
Old August 5 2011, 09:40 PM   #6
JINXED
Admiral

View JINXED's Twitter Profile

Oh, that sounds awesome!
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JINXED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2011, 10:30 PM   #7
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

One of my Dad's favourite science shows. I still have his off-air recordings on tape he did of some repeat showing back in the early 80's. He used to quote something Carl Sagan apparently says in opening. "If you want to understand the universe, first you have to bake an apple pie." Clearly talking my Dad's language there!

A great one, if you ever get chance to see it, from the 2000's, was "Journey to the Edge of the Universe". Channel 4 here in Britain, but an international co-production given the absolutely stunning CG effects. Discovery Channel maybe? Sean Pertwee narrated it for us and it's basically one long journey from the camera's perspective. The Solar System, onto neighbouring star systems based on currently accurate info, imaginary warp or FTL jumps past other galaxies, all the way back to the big bang. It's a fantastic first person ride that's stayed with me. It crops up on More 4 and no matter how many times I see it, it's just so easy to get caught up in it.
Old August 6 2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
One of my Dad's favourite science shows. I still have his off-air recordings on tape he did of some repeat showing back in the early 80's. He used to quote something Carl Sagan apparently says in opening. "If you want to understand the universe, first you have to bake an apple pie." Clearly talking my Dad's language there!
Close. "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Set to music.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 02:44 AM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Close. "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Set to music.
Phew! That makes a lot more sense than the idea of understanding the universe via apple pie!

I was worred for ole Carl there for a sec...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 03:38 AM   #10
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I'm glad to hear it'll be hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson. From the interviews I've seen of him and from following him on Twitter, he definitely has a way of presenting scientific information in a straightforward, interesting way.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Will it be edited for Rednecks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo
JesusaurusI love that one.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I really like Sagan's screen presence and good-naturedness, and Cosmos is inventive and can be fun, but I never liked these kind of shows. They're just too thin, like someone filmed a Wikipedia article.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 03:59 PM   #13
23skidoo
Admiral

For those interested in reading other comments about this, a separate thread is underway in TV & Media:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=146053

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2011, 08:35 PM   #14
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile

After I saw the announcement, I noticed that the original series is currently on Hulu. I've heard so much about the series, I will check it out and look forward to the MacFarlane version (although I'm also willing to make "Fox News vs. science" jokes).