Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 13 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Ninjacore
Commander

I really hate ferengis

Anybody else hate the whole ferengi race, they are just so ugly and annoying, don't really know what to add as examples are not needed any trek fan knows what they are, just curious if anyone else hates them.
Ninjacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Re: I really hate ferengis

I hated their initial appearances but Quark's antics have made me lol on many occasions! The DS9 Ferengi episodes were brilliantly done, particulary "The Magnificent Ferengi" where they all team up to trade a Vorta for Quark's mother!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 12:55 AM   #3
klingonhybrid
Ensign

Ninjacore- Im guessing you have only watched TNG...??

In the TNG Ive watched they were depicted in a less than friendly light, but in DS9 you really get to learn more about them, and you come to like quark, his brother, and even the grand negus....
Plus, they get a bad rap as far as business goes, but if I was a bounty hunter or trader, Id keep a long list of ferengis....you know what your getting with ferengis

Ferenginar is cool too...its rainy
klingonhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 01:08 AM   #4
Caesar753
Commander

The Ferengi are ugly and annoying, but that's the point. They really didn't come into their own until DS9, and I've loved Ferengi ever since.
Caesar753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Ninjacore
Commander

klingonhybrid wrote: View Post
Ninjacore- Im guessing you have only watched TNG...??

In the TNG Ive watched they were depicted in a less than friendly light, but in DS9 you really get to learn more about them, and you come to like quark, his brother, and even the grand negus....
Plus, they get a bad rap as far as business goes, but if I was a bounty hunter or trader, Id keep a long list of ferengis....you know what your getting with ferengis

Ferenginar is cool too...its rainy

I've seen DS9 as well, I hate Quark, I just wanna stomp on his head till hes dead, I think it stems from my dislike of people who act like him, so i'd hate a character who does, I was always wishing the shapechanger guy would just kill him and say self defense.
Ninjacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 02:55 AM   #6
The Wormhole
Admiral

Needless to say, TNG's attempts to make them villains failed. DS9's Ferengi comedies receive their share of criticism. And while those episodes do tend to be rather silly, I feel that Quark, Rom and Nog are three outstanding characters who provided some of DS9's finest moments, both comedic and serious.
Old July 13 2011, 03:22 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I've heard a few people say this, even to the point of not watching DS9 because of them.

I LOVE THEM. Nicely developed race that pisses all over Federation values without slaughtering folk. Great wardrobes, some fantastic stories. I loved it that we got to see Ferenginar too.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:27 AM   #8
Trelane
Lieutenant Commander

I've loved the Ferengii ever since DS9. They'll make for some interesting characters in fics yet to be written. I can't wait to see more clothed Ferengii (female) Captains in Starfleet's transport lanes and a later on, more mainstream Starfleet ~itself~. Keep progress realistically gradual yet visible.
Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:35 AM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Ninjacore wrote: View Post
they are just so ugly
Not Quark. He possesses beautiful eyes. Snappy dresser too.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I recommend that you check out...

Rules of Acquisition
Little Green Men
Body Parts
Business As Usual
The Magnificent Ferengi

Those are among the best episodes in my opinion that feature, particulary Quark, Rom and Nog. Any episode where Liquidator Brunt appears is usually awesome. (but thats because Jeffrey Combs plays him!)
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 04:45 AM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Done right, the Ferengis can be a lot of fun. Check out "Little Green Men" or "House of Quark."
Old July 13 2011, 05:46 AM   #12
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Many great costumes. I always noticed when Quark got a new suit. Garak too. DS9 should get real credit for making them interesting, but I think they could have been better still. Uglier, meaner, smarter. They became too broad, too much the writers' plaything darlings and lost a lot of their provocative nastiness. I think the same may be the case for the Cardassians who, like the Klingons who went from nasty Soviets to honorable Samurai, went from vile Nazis to dutiful Romans.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 07:30 AM   #13
BlobVanDam
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BlobVanDam Send a message via Yahoo to BlobVanDam

I hate the Ferengi too. One reason why I've been reluctant to check out DS9 (although not the only reason, so don't jump down my throat ).
BlobVanDam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 07:32 AM   #14
MagGu
Lieutenant

I love the Ferengi! Ferengi episodes are some of my favorite of DS9. I love the interaction between Quark and Brunt. They made for some of the funniest scenes in the entire show.
MagGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 09:38 AM   #15
Art Vandelay
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Ninjacore wrote: View Post
they are just so ugly
Not Quark. He possesses beautiful eyes.
Yeah, he keeps those in a jar on his nightstand.

But honestly, I really love DS9's Ferengi episodes (well, maybe not Profit and Lace). The Magnificent Ferengi had me in stitches, and both Family Business and Body Parts have rather heartwarming denouements.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote