Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 28 2012, 05:03 AM   #541
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

What are reviews for?

I'd think that they're to inform us if a product is good or bad, if we don't already have a first opinion?

but we know Voyager.

So are we wanting to listen to someone we agree with, or someone we disagree with, because we know the product and we know the leanings of the reviewers, so it's all about generating predictable results with a replicatable method.

Gosh that sounds dirty.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 05:19 AM   #542
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I don't like reviews because I can't talk back. Posting youtube comments is pointless, it's not the same as a thread on a forum.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:17 AM   #543
exodus
Fleet Admiral

zar wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.
I don't understand why you think you can quantify quotability. If someone says something you like or agree with, and the quote is relevant to the present, then that person is quotable. Publishing your thoughts publicly, such as on Youtube, absolutely does make you quotable.

As for credibility, you were doing good until you mentioned Snooki. As I'm reasonably sure that sfdebris is more familiar with the material than her, it's definitely false that her opinions would be as credible.
sonak wrote: View Post
Fair or not, fame as a respected reviewer translates to credibility.

So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?

Good to know.
I think I'll change my screen name and post of Youtube from now on.

so I guess Roger Ebert's movie reviews are no more credible than Janet Smith's from Boise, Idaho, either.
Ebert earned his credibility to all in his business by having a degree in journalism. Ebert has first hand experience and insight because he actually learned his craft via the educational system. Someone that earned their career though proper education should mean something over someone that does it as a hobby.

Last edited by exodus; February 29 2012 at 02:38 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:32 AM   #544
zar
Captain

So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?
I will not kiss your ass, but I will indeed hold your opinion of Star Trek in higher regard than that of Snooki. You don't need to go to Youtube because you can already do a perfectly good job publishing your thoughts publicly here on TBBS.

Maybe you need to read my post again; you seem to have missed the point.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:45 AM   #545
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I will not kiss your ass, but I will indeed hold your opinion of Star Trek in higher regard than that of Snooki. You don't need to go to Youtube because you can already do a perfectly good job publishing your thoughts publicly here on TBBS.

Maybe you need to read my post again; you seem to have missed the point.
I think the missing of points was mutual.
Old February 29 2012, 02:59 AM   #546
zar
Captain

I think the missing of points was mutual.
Not really. Basically, you just repeated your original statement with disregard to the responses it received:

I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source.
and then...
Not much growth there. Hard for us to miss your point when you don't bother to make one.
Old February 29 2012, 05:59 AM   #547
sonak
Vice Admiral

I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.
I don't understand why you think you can quantify quotability. If someone says something you like or agree with, and the quote is relevant to the present, then that person is quotable. Publishing your thoughts publicly, such as on Youtube, absolutely does make you quotable.

As for credibility, you were doing good until you mentioned Snooki. As I'm reasonably sure that sfdebris is more familiar with the material than her, it's definitely false that her opinions would be as credible.
Fair or not, fame as a respected reviewer translates to credibility.

Good to know.
I think I'll change my screen name and post of Youtube from now on.

so I guess Roger Ebert's movie reviews are no more credible than Janet Smith's from Boise, Idaho, either.
Ebert earned his credibility to all in his business by having a degree in journalism. Ebert has first hand experience and insight because he actually learned his craft via the educational system. Someone that earned their career though proper education should mean something over someone that does it as a hobby.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, but it's not with me. I never said that I "kiss Chuck's ass," just that he's a respected internet viewer with a respectable following. If you posted reviews that are as thoughtful and smart as his, and get the reputation that he has, I'd respect that, too. As it is, you just come off as jealous of the guy and his following.

As for Ebert's credentials, I'm pretty sure Chuck's a very well-educated guy, both formal and informal. I get that impression from his articulate reviews, and also, he refers to his level of education periodically. (He doesn't come out and say "I have a degree in theoretical physics from X university," but I'm reasonably sure he's as educated as Ebert, probably more so)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 03:31 AM   #548
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, but it's not with me. I never said that I "kiss Chuck's ass," just that he's a respected internet viewer with a respectable following. If you posted reviews that are as thoughtful and smart as his, and get the reputation that he has, I'd respect that, too. As it is, you just come off as jealous of the guy and his following.
Is he getting paid like Rodger Ebert is?
Is he rubbing elbows with the celebs he reviews?
Then I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
Old March 2 2012, 03:42 AM   #549
zar
Captain

[...] the guy and his following.
[...] I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
It's right there, in bold.
Old March 2 2012, 03:54 AM   #550
exodus
Fleet Admiral

[...] the guy and his following.
[...] I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
It's right there, in bold.
Nope, rather have the cash.
As I said, his following hasn't allowed him to rub elbows with the celebs he reviews or opened bigger doors into the entertainment industry.
There is nothing he has to be jealous of.

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old March 2 2012, 04:02 AM   #551
zar
Captain

I'm sure you would. Nevertheless you still come off as jealous of a guy whose opinions are held in higher regard than your own.
Old March 2 2012, 04:14 AM   #552
exodus
Fleet Admiral

I'm sure you would. Nevertheless you still come off as jealous of a guy whose opinions are held in higher regard than your own.
That makes no sense considering I've argued pro-critic with jouralism degrees who ALL have opinions held in higher regard than me.

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old March 2 2012, 04:21 AM   #553
zar
Captain

^ I'm sorry, but these posts just reek of bitterness:

You haven't yet said anything to dissuade me from concluding you are simply envious of Chuck's respect.
Old March 2 2012, 04:34 AM   #554
exodus
Fleet Admiral

^ I'm sorry, but these posts just reek of bitterness
So support of those that go thru the educational system to earn a credible degree in their career is being bitter?

You haven't yet said anything to dissuade me from concluding you are simply envious of Chuck's respect.
What, saying I'm not jealous isn't good enough for you?

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old March 2 2012, 04:54 AM   #555
zar
Captain

I just noticed that your last three posts were completely wiped out and rewritten, even edited after I'd already replied to them. It's kind of hard to have a conversation with one so indecisive.

And no, saying "No I'm not" isn't convincing at all. Your posts about "kissing asses" and such are devoid of reasoning and indeed come off as envious venting.