RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,908
Posts: 5,330,904
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 581
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28 2012, 05:03 AM   #541
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

What are reviews for?

I'd think that they're to inform us if a product is good or bad, if we don't already have a first opinion?

but we know Voyager.

So are we wanting to listen to someone we agree with, or someone we disagree with, because we know the product and we know the leanings of the reviewers, so it's all about generating predictable results with a replicatable method.

Gosh that sounds dirty.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 05:19 AM   #542
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

I don't like reviews because I can't talk back. Posting youtube comments is pointless, it's not the same as a thread on a forum.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:17 AM   #543
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.
I don't understand why you think you can quantify quotability. If someone says something you like or agree with, and the quote is relevant to the present, then that person is quotable. Publishing your thoughts publicly, such as on Youtube, absolutely does make you quotable.

As for credibility, you were doing good until you mentioned Snooki. As I'm reasonably sure that sfdebris is more familiar with the material than her, it's definitely false that her opinions would be as credible.
sonak wrote: View Post
Fair or not, fame as a respected reviewer translates to credibility.

So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?

Good to know.
I think I'll change my screen name and post of Youtube from now on.

sonak wrote: View Post
so I guess Roger Ebert's movie reviews are no more credible than Janet Smith's from Boise, Idaho, either.
Ebert earned his credibility to all in his business by having a degree in journalism. Ebert has first hand experience and insight because he actually learned his craft via the educational system. Someone that earned their career though proper education should mean something over someone that does it as a hobby.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; February 29 2012 at 02:38 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:32 AM   #544
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

exodus wrote: View Post
So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?
I will not kiss your ass, but I will indeed hold your opinion of Star Trek in higher regard than that of Snooki. You don't need to go to Youtube because you can already do a perfectly good job publishing your thoughts publicly here on TBBS.

Maybe you need to read my post again; you seem to have missed the point.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:45 AM   #545
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?
I will not kiss your ass, but I will indeed hold your opinion of Star Trek in higher regard than that of Snooki. You don't need to go to Youtube because you can already do a perfectly good job publishing your thoughts publicly here on TBBS.

Maybe you need to read my post again; you seem to have missed the point.
I think the missing of points was mutual.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 02:59 AM   #546
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

exodus wrote: View Post
I think the missing of points was mutual.
Not really. Basically, you just repeated your original statement with disregard to the responses it received:

exodus wrote: View Post
I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source.
and then...
exodus wrote: View Post
So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?
Not much growth there. Hard for us to miss your point when you don't bother to make one.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29 2012, 05:59 AM   #547
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

exodus wrote: View Post
zar wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.
I don't understand why you think you can quantify quotability. If someone says something you like or agree with, and the quote is relevant to the present, then that person is quotable. Publishing your thoughts publicly, such as on Youtube, absolutely does make you quotable.

As for credibility, you were doing good until you mentioned Snooki. As I'm reasonably sure that sfdebris is more familiar with the material than her, it's definitely false that her opinions would be as credible.
sonak wrote: View Post
Fair or not, fame as a respected reviewer translates to credibility.

So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?

Good to know.
I think I'll change my screen name and post of Youtube from now on.

sonak wrote: View Post
so I guess Roger Ebert's movie reviews are no more credible than Janet Smith's from Boise, Idaho, either.
Ebert earned his credibility to all in his business by having a degree in journalism. Ebert has first hand experience and insight because he actually learned his craft via the educational system. Someone that earned their career though proper education should mean something over someone that does it as a hobby.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, but it's not with me. I never said that I "kiss Chuck's ass," just that he's a respected internet viewer with a respectable following. If you posted reviews that are as thoughtful and smart as his, and get the reputation that he has, I'd respect that, too. As it is, you just come off as jealous of the guy and his following.

As for Ebert's credentials, I'm pretty sure Chuck's a very well-educated guy, both formal and informal. I get that impression from his articulate reviews, and also, he refers to his level of education periodically. (He doesn't come out and say "I have a degree in theoretical physics from X university," but I'm reasonably sure he's as educated as Ebert, probably more so)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 03:31 AM   #548
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

sonak wrote: View Post
I'm not sure who you're arguing with here, but it's not with me. I never said that I "kiss Chuck's ass," just that he's a respected internet viewer with a respectable following. If you posted reviews that are as thoughtful and smart as his, and get the reputation that he has, I'd respect that, too. As it is, you just come off as jealous of the guy and his following.
Is he getting paid like Rodger Ebert is?
Is he rubbing elbows with the celebs he reviews?
Then I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 03:42 AM   #549
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

exodus wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
[...] the guy and his following.
[...] I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
It's right there, in bold.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 03:54 AM   #550
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
[...] the guy and his following.
[...] I don't see anything he's doing to be jealous of.
It's right there, in bold.
Nope, rather have the cash.
As I said, his following hasn't allowed him to rub elbows with the celebs he reviews or opened bigger doors into the entertainment industry.
There is nothing he has to be jealous of.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:06 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 04:02 AM   #551
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

I'm sure you would. Nevertheless you still come off as jealous of a guy whose opinions are held in higher regard than your own.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 04:14 AM   #552
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
I'm sure you would. Nevertheless you still come off as jealous of a guy whose opinions are held in higher regard than your own.
That makes no sense considering I've argued pro-critic with jouralism degrees who ALL have opinions held in higher regard than me.
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:25 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 04:21 AM   #553
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

^ I'm sorry, but these posts just reek of bitterness:

exodus wrote: View Post
I don't understand why fans think just because you post your opinions on Youtube, you suddenly become a credible and quotable source. sFdebris' opinions are no more credible than Snooki from Jersey Shore giving a review of Star Trek.
exodus wrote: View Post
So in other words;if I posted my opinions/reviews on Youtube, you'd kiss my ass and hold what I say in higher regards than others?
You haven't yet said anything to dissuade me from concluding you are simply envious of Chuck's respect.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 04:34 AM   #554
exodus
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: The Digital Garden
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

zar wrote: View Post
^ I'm sorry, but these posts just reek of bitterness
So support of those that go thru the educational system to earn a credible degree in their career is being bitter?

You haven't yet said anything to dissuade me from concluding you are simply envious of Chuck's respect.
What, saying I'm not jealous isn't good enough for you?
__________________
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Last edited by exodus; March 2 2012 at 04:45 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2012, 04:54 AM   #555
zar
Captain
 
zar's Avatar
 
Re: Why do people keep saying Voyager weakened the Borg?

I just noticed that your last three posts were completely wiped out and rewritten, even edited after I'd already replied to them. It's kind of hard to have a conversation with one so indecisive.

And no, saying "No I'm not" isn't convincing at all. Your posts about "kissing asses" and such are devoid of reasoning and indeed come off as envious venting.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
borg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.