February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23 2011, 07:13 PM   #76
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

^Yeah, I was waiting for a fight scene like in the second Hulk movie where the military guy had used a supersoldier serum and went all acrobatic on the Hulk.
Old July 23 2011, 07:48 PM   #77
DWF
Vice Admiral

Captain America has no real superhuman abilities.

Captain America has no superhuman powers, although as a result of the Super-Soldier Serum and "Vita-Ray" treatment, he is transformed from a frail young man into a "perfect" specimen of human development and conditioning. Captain America's strength, endurance, agility, speed, reflexes, durability, and healing are at the highest limits of natural human potential. Rogers' body regularly replenishes the super-soldier serum; it does not wear off.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 08:04 PM   #78
sojourner
Admiral

^which still makes him superior. Which wasn't portrayed that much in the movie.
Old July 23 2011, 08:14 PM   #79
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

I give it an A.This was exactly what I wanted in a Captain America movie. I'm a huge fan of The Rocketeer and Joe Johnston didn't disappoint. He really excels at these period piece superhero movies and Chris Evans played Cap perfectly. I was almost sad to see it come to an end, but we have The Avengers to look forward too. Still, I'm going to kind of miss the WWII setting. That was a fun!
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 08:46 PM   #80
Warped9
Admiral

I took a chance.

I didn't see Green Lantern or Thor in cinema because the theatre here was screening them in 3D and I had no interest in paying a premium for that. I wanted to (hopefully) see an enjoyable film without the distraction of an imperfect gimmick that bothers my eyes. Turns out, though, that my local theatre is screening Captain America in standard 2D this week and is switching to 3D next week. So I lucked out.

I'm not that familiar with the character and the only Captain America comics I read were way back in the late '60s. so maybe it was a good thing I wasn't burdened with expectations? Even if so I take these films as adaptations and not gospel.

This was a fun and feel good movie in similar fashion to when I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark way back in 1981. It also has a measure of innocence in similar sense as the '78 Superman, but without the overt camp of that film. I loved the whole retro look to it. I liked its measured pace without feeling rushed or conversely bogged down. I like how all the characters were just right for their parts. Yes there is a degree of corniness and smaltz in this, but they're in the right doses and in the right places. This is, after all, a superhero film and like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films it touches on why these stories and these characters appeal to us. It also does the right thing by avoiding the overt cynicism of our own times. It shows us not the world we do live in, but a world we would like to live in. A world where good people can do good things and step up when they're needed. I certainly found myself smiling and laughing in the right places.

I quite liked this film and I think it's a keeper that I'll gladly add to my own library. I generally disagree with many of the rather jaded reviews I've read and I give it an "A" rating.

I also caught The Avengers trailer after the end credits. Could be fun.

Last edited by Warped9; July 23 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 09:12 PM   #81
Anwar
Vice Admiral

One of Cap's truly unique abilities is that he doesn't suffer fatigue or get tired.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:02 PM   #82
TimmyWl
Commodore

It was a good summer movie. It did seem kind of head scratching that they went after strictly Hydra and not the other Germans. (This seems to be noted by other posters as well.) But I thought it was hilarious when that one German looked at the banner for Hydra when they were visiting Red Skull and looked at it oddly. It was that and everything that came out of the Colonel's mouth.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:22 PM   #83
Supervisor 194
Captain

I didn't have a problem with the HYDRA focus--it seemed appropriate to me that the Allied 'super science' division would concentrate their efforts on the Nazi equivalent.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 10:28 PM   #84
JD
Admiral

^Exactly. I had not problem with Hydra for that reason too.
Old July 23 2011, 11:24 PM   #85
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I gave it an A+. Yeah I really loved it. Evans did a great job as did the rest of the cast. The writers actually understood who Steve Rogers is and why he would what he did. The CGI for Rogers pre-transformation body was spectacular. I liked the little touches from the comics they included. The Original Human Torch under glass at the expo and the antique shop front for Operation: Rebirth. I also think that Bucky in this film had traces of the original Nick Fury.

I assume Hydra might return to face the Avengers and thats why they were the focus of this film. The are shown to be a "Spin off" of the Nazis. ( Which is similar to the comics where Baron Strucker, himself a Nazi, founded Hydra). As others have stated it would appear the Army unit headed by Col. Philips was put together specifically to fight Hydra. We see Nazis in the newsreels Steve watches, in the USO show and in the Red Skulls lair.

Captain America isn't Superman, so he's not going to do Superman type feats. The serum gave him the perfect human body so he's on par with or even better than any top athlete in any sport past or present. Which also makes him stronger, faster and more agile than any soldier in the Allied or Axis armies.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2011, 11:36 PM   #86
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Very much agreed. The only real reason I gave it an *A* instead of *A+* is that I wanted to see more. I loved the period setting. Somehow it made the fantastical elements seem more acceptable. The retro tech looked really cool. I also couldn't help thinking of how much I'd like to see something I'll probably never see: a period piece Batman or Superman.

Yes, Steve Rogers was perfectly cast as was Hayley Atwell and not the least Hugo Weaving.
Old July 24 2011, 12:29 AM   #87
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

A. Best super-hero film of the summer.

Loved the nod to the original Human torch.
Old July 24 2011, 12:31 AM   #88
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
A. Best super-hero film of the summer.

Loved the nod to the original Human torch.
What was the nod to the original Human Torch? Shame him and Namor couldn't have appeared.

Did love that they had the original Captain America comic in the movie.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 12:34 AM   #89
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

At the fair there was a inactive artificial man in a glass tube dressed in red with yellow trim next to a sign that said something about Phineas Horton.
Old July 24 2011, 01:45 AM   #90
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
One of Cap's truly unique abilities is that he doesn't suffer fatigue or get tired.
Man - poor Peggy Carter really missed out when Cap disappeared.