Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 2 2011, 06:01 PM   #616
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

23skidoo wrote: View Post
- I was a little less enthused about the violence - I'm in the "superheroes don't kill" camp and am still upset over what David Kelley had Wonder Woman doing in the busted pilot earlier this year - but at the same time this is actually consistent with the early days of Captain America. All those comic book issues in which Cap was indeed shown fighting Nazis in the 1940s, he wasn't using harsh language.
I'm the reverse. One of the things I like the most about Marvel Studios' films is that none of the heroes moan about how heroes should never kill anyone (only for their enemies to conveniently end up dead anyway in many instances). Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap all use lethal force without any nonsensical moral dilemmas (the idea of a soldier in World War II not killing people is not only absurd, it's rather an insult to all the other soldiers who Cap is meant to be a symbol of).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 08:33 PM   #617
captcalhoun
Admiral

boy, skiddoo must hate Ultimate Cap then, he regularly guns enemies down...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 09:01 PM   #618
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post
- I was a little less enthused about the violence - I'm in the "superheroes don't kill" camp and am still upset over what David Kelley had Wonder Woman doing in the busted pilot earlier this year - but at the same time this is actually consistent with the early days of Captain America. All those comic book issues in which Cap was indeed shown fighting Nazis in the 1940s, he wasn't using harsh language.
I'm the reverse. One of the things I like the most about Marvel Studios' films is that none of the heroes moan about how heroes should never kill anyone (only for their enemies to conveniently end up dead anyway in many instances). Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Cap all use lethal force without any nonsensical moral dilemmas (the idea of a soldier in World War II not killing people is not only absurd, it's rather an insult to all the other soldiers who Cap is meant to be a symbol of).
Although he did say he disliked guns and killing.
Old November 2 2011, 09:45 PM   #619
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Well, Movie Cap said that he didn't WANT to kill anyone, but as a soldier he knows what his duty is to attack and the kill the enemy.

Which is a good mindset, I'd say. Even the supreme "Thou Shall Not Kill" follower (Batman) wouldn't have any problems with Captain America having a kill record.

After all, he IS a soldier in a war.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 10:43 PM   #620
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

But isn't Batman? I mean would Gotham, and the world, really be worse off if The Joker were dead? How many times has The Joker killed or put countless lives at risk? If it came down to it would Batman kill The Joker in "self-defense" or in the defense of others?
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 10:53 PM   #621
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Batman is an illegal vigilante, who is in fact a private citizen and not a commissioned officer in the armed services. Killing he does would not be sanctioned the way he keeps things between him and Gordon.

Cap is a commissioned officer, a government agent. He's fully legitimized to kill by the government, if he thinks it has to come to that.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 11:16 PM   #622
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

There's one thing I can't shake when watching this movie

Montage,Montage,Montage

I would have liked to have seen a few more of Captain America and the howling commando's,dum dum dugan and the rest of the gang.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2011, 11:56 PM   #623
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Anwar wrote: View Post
Batman is an illegal vigilante, who is in fact a private citizen and not a commissioned officer in the armed services. Killing he does would not be sanctioned the way he keeps things between him and Gordon.

Cap is a commissioned officer, a government agent. He's fully legitimized to kill by the government, if he thinks it has to come to that.
But, if Batman where in a situation where it was his life (or the life of an innocent) or the life of The Joker he would be legally justified in killing The Joker. If someone breaks into my home and I feel my life is threatened I'd be justified in killing the intruder (up until the point he flees.)

How many times has Batman been in a situation where The Joker was threatening the life of an innocent Gothinian (or whatever) and instead of taking the Joker out Batman simply does something to knock The Joker out or cause a distraction to allow him to save the innocent person? Now, sure, the innocent person may have survived so all is good but more often than not The Joker -sooner or later- will be back out there causing crime and the next innocent person to be in The Joker's hands might not be so lucky.

Batman killing The Joker in a situation where The Joker's threatening life or property would be a justifiable homicide. I'm not a police officer, or a soldier but if I kill a man who is threatening lives then little action would be taken against me, at least legally; civilly is another matter.

I argue that Batman would be justified if he killed The Joker (in certain circumstances, Batman can't just go up to The Joker and kill him anytime he wants) and it could probably be argued that Gordon's treatment of Batman suggests that Batman is, at last informally, is "deputized" to act as law enforcement in some capacity.
Old November 3 2011, 12:01 AM   #624
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Old November 3 2011, 12:06 AM   #625
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Heck, in The Dark Knight Harvey Dent/Two Face is killed in just that sort of situation. To Gordon and any reasonable person it was a justified killing. It was just covered up to save Dent's reputation.

Now, in Begins the killing of Ras isn't as justified as it was pretty much murder by negligence or failure to act (sort of something like a "Good Samaritan Law.") At the point Ras was killed he wasn't a threat and Batman could have saved him and delivered him to Gordon/the authorities.

But the killing of Dent was certainly a justifiable act.
Old November 3 2011, 12:19 AM   #626
Creepy Critter
Admiral

In the film, Dent's killing was spur of the moment, arguably accidental and not premeditated, and lives were in immediate jeopardy.

Old November 3 2011, 12:24 AM   #627
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Take this Batman crap to the TDKR thread or something.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2011, 12:43 AM   #628
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Aye, aye!
Old November 3 2011, 06:39 AM   #629
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

How about this:

or this:
Old November 3 2011, 06:47 AM   #630
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Where did you get those? They are both real?

I found the first one: http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Captain.../dp/156389291X.