RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 482
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 4 2011, 04:22 PM   #346
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yes it is. It's where he belongs conceptually and it's where he works best.
Marvel's Captain America's concept is "World War II super-soldier frozen in ice and awakened in the present day".

And the "sheer volume of more 'modern' material" tends to suggest that he does not in fact inherently "work best" in the 1940s. All of Captain America's most famous stories are set in the present (albeit in many cases with ties to the past; that's basically the template for a Cap story, the collision between past and present).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:27 PM   #347
captcalhoun
Admiral

the proper way to do Cap 2 is for SHIELD to send him off on some mission which turns out to be linked back to something he dealt with in WWII and we get flashbacks.

that or something like the recent Ultimate Captain America limited series, where he finds out there's a Captain America from 'Nam and Rogers goes after him because Nam!Cap's gone rogue and the difference between the two is played up; the whole pure noble aspect of 40s!Cap vs the jaded cynicism and post-Kennedy darkness of Nam!Cap...

i'd pay good money for an Invaders movie, though.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:31 PM   #348
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Cap 2 can be partially flashback, with him fighting Baron Zemo in the past and then in the present Zemo's grandson (instead of his son) comes after him in revenge.

They can tie him and Red Skull together too: After the Skull broke away from the Nazis, Hitler appointed Zemo as his new top researcher.

Fits his comic history as well: Baron Zemo didn't show up in the comics until after Cap was thawed out, and their whole history together in WWII was told in flashbacks.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:33 PM   #349
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
timothy wrote: View Post
saw it agin today for a second time and I love this movie so much. question, the sceen where the red skull was posing for a paint and the scientist came asked him a question. the music during that scene was'nt it the same music from the movie excalibur?
Pretty sure the music during the portrait scene is from Wagner, I believe it is Siegfried's Funeral March but I'd need to see the movie again to be sure. It is also used in Excalibur, my favorite music piece in Excalibur was using Karl Orff's Carmina Burana when Arthur and the knights are riding out of Camelot for the last battle.

cool thanks I love that sound track. DO you think they'll use it conan?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:34 PM   #350
captcalhoun
Admiral

or they could use Baron von Strucker, the original head of Hydra in the comics, and his grandkids, the Fenris twins.
Old August 4 2011, 04:35 PM   #351
Servo
Rear Admiral

I'd like to see more of Cap's team from WW2, especially Dum Dum Dugan, who I thought Neal McDonough played really well. I can't see how they'd get him and the rest of the team in future Captain America films outside of flashbacks, though.
Old August 4 2011, 04:37 PM   #352
captcalhoun
Admiral

nah, just do a Howling Commandos movie set in '45 after Cap's disappearance.
Old August 4 2011, 04:46 PM   #353
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Anwar wrote: View Post
Cap 2 can be partially flashback, with him fighting Baron Zemo in the past and then in the present Zemo's grandson (instead of his son) comes after him in revenge.

They can tie him and Red Skull together too: After the Skull broke away from the Nazis, Hitler appointed Zemo as his new top researcher.

Fits his comic history as well: Baron Zemo didn't show up in the comics until after Cap was thawed out, and their whole history together in WWII was told in flashbacks.
I agree with this potential storyline.

http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5135897&postcount=282
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:47 PM   #354
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Marvel's Captain America's concept is "World War II super-soldier frozen in ice and awakened in the present day".
That's not who he was.

And the "sheer volume of more 'modern' material" tends to suggest that he does not in fact inherently "work best" in the 1940s.
It suggests nothing of the kind; it's simply a function of how many years they've kept him in print. Quantity has little to do with quality. I live really well while almost never eating at McDonalds, but you can't argue with their sales volume.

This is better than nothing; hell, they could also just have him fight some actual Nazis. Still, what a waste...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:48 PM   #355
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

That's not who he was.
Yeah, and Superman couldn't fly and Batman carried a gun and shot people.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 04:59 PM   #356
Anwar
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
That's not who he was.
You didn't even like Mark Gruenwald's "Captain America No More!" storyline?
Old August 4 2011, 05:04 PM   #357
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I wasn't terribly impressed, no. In order to gin up interest in the character they've resorted to gimmick after gimmick - actually, only a couple of repetitious gimmicks: his identity is revealed / he's believed dead / he changes costumes / he gets a new sidekick. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:07 PM   #358
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Yeah, but at least Gruenwald was the first to do that with a mainstream character and show it could work as a story.

Frankly, I've enjoyed the part of his character where he tries to stick hard to his own ideals of what the American Way is supposed to be even while political ideology changes all around him. Kind of like what they've tried to do with Superman the last 10 years.
Old August 4 2011, 05:20 PM   #359
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but at least Gruenwald was the first to do that with a mainstream character and show it could work as a story.

Frankly, I've enjoyed the part of his character where he tries to stick hard to his own ideals of what the American Way is supposed to be even while political ideology changes all around him. Kind of like what they've tried to do with Superman the last 10 years.
Are you unaware of the Englehart run from the 70's? Gruenwald's work was often a rehash of what Englehart did.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2011, 05:35 PM   #360
Agenda
Fleet Captain

To me, the most intriguing aspect of Cap's character is the "man out of time" thing. That alone is worth exploring in a sequel. Forget the superheroing, it could be a rich movie based on it. I wish they did a Captain America sequel first before the Avengers so they could devote more time to it.

One of the reasons I like the Ultimates character (despite some objections) was that it brought back that aspect of him. Old-fashioned values and Bing Crosby records vs. the modern age.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote