Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?
A+ 34 19.21%
A 51 28.81%
A- 34 19.21%
B+ 27 15.25%
B 15 8.47%
B- 5 2.82%
C+ 5 2.82%
C 4 2.26%
C- 1 0.56%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25 2011, 03:14 AM   #136
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

davejames wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Re: Montage of WWII battle moments

In discussions about a sequel the question was posed if we would have a chance to see more WWII Steve given the movies ending. The answer was simply yes.

I think what could happen is that the montage moments where they are taking out Hydra facilities(Peggy is seen removing them from the map) is where not only could we see more WWII, but Peggy and the Commandoes. Can't recall if Bucky dies pre or post montage.

This would allow for us to have the stand alone Cap movies in WWII, if they saw fit, and present day Cap in The Avengers movies.
If that's true, it's kinda strange that Cap and the gang would take time out from, you know, stopping Red Skull from blowing up the U.S. and taking over the world to go off on a bunch of other missions.

Seems like that would kind of take precedence. lol
Not "take time off"
"Expand on the other Hydra missions" that are seen as montage during this movie. That would've covered several weeks if not months.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:18 AM   #137
DWF
Vice Admiral

I don't think he's superpowered at all he's just meant to be the ultimate human even the Red Skull appeared to be stronger than Rogers though being able to dent Cap's original shield.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:21 AM   #138
CaptainCanada
Admiral

He is superpowered; his abilities far exceed what a normal person could do.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:25 AM   #139
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

DWF wrote: View Post
I don't think he's superpowered at all he's just meant to be the ultimate human even the Red Skull appeared to be stronger than Rogers though being able to dent Cap's original shield.
Cap and the Skull were supposed to have had the same powers, if I understood the dialogue correctly.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:31 AM   #140
DWF
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
He is superpowered; his abilities far exceed what a normal person could do.
That doesn't make him superpowered Usain Bolt can run the 100M dach in 9.58 seconds no normal human can do that either but it doesn't make him superhuman.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:37 AM   #141
davejames
Vice Admiral

Not "take time off"
"Expand on the other Hydra missions" that are seen as montage during this movie. That would've covered several weeks if not months.
Oh ok. I was just thinking about other villains and non-Hydra storylines you could have back then, but I guess if you're going to do the WWII era, you might as well have him in the war fighting somebody.

And I guess other villains could always be working with Red Skull in some peripheral way.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:38 AM   #142
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

If I remember correctly, Cap was supposed to possess the height of human strength and ability. It was noted that because of this strength, he was capable of lifting his shield. A normal person couldn't. Bucky could because his shield arm was robotic.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:42 AM   #143
CaptainCanada
Admiral

DWF wrote: View Post
That doesn't make him superpowered Usain Bolt can run the 100M dach in 9.58 seconds no normal human can do that either but it doesn't make him superhuman.
Bolt is at the peak of human potential; Steve exceeds what a normal human, even at peak, can do. He can run like Usain Bolt, but at far more sustained pace. His strength is greater than what a normal person can achieve, etc. The very ability to maintain these kinds of peaks constantly is superhuman.
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
If I remember correctly, Cap was supposed to possess the height of human strength and ability. It was noted that because of this strength, he was capable of lifting his shield. A normal person couldn't. Bucky could because his shield arm was robotic.
No, lifting the shield isn't an issue. Anyone can do that. The rare skill is being able to throw it like he does; Bucky's arm allowed him to do that, and Hawkeye, who has no special powers, could also do it because he's so skilled with projectiles.

- Homer Simpson
Old July 25 2011, 03:45 AM   #144
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Cap and the Skull were supposed to have had the same powers, if I understood the dialogue correctly.
Well, the formula amplifies what they each already are, so what is amplified for each of them is different from the other.

Also, the formulas they took, and/or the procedure they underwent, were stated not to be completely identical, so there could be differences from that too.
Old July 25 2011, 03:52 AM   #145
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Just came back from seeing this despite the cold and thought it was awesome. It has surpassed "Iron Man" for me as my favorite Marvel Studio film. I'm not going to do a full or even brief review here but I did give this an A and almost was tempted to give it a full A+. It is my second favorite movie of the year after "X-Men:First Class". I thought Chris Evans was very impressive as Steve Rogers. Hugo Weaving was okay as Red Skull (he looked damn cool though). Hayley Atwell was stunning and charming as Peggy Carter. Sebastian Stan didn't have very much to do as Bucky in this movie but then again I wasn't expecting him in it a lot in the first place. I loved the period feel to the film, and Alan Silvestri's score was beautiful, among his best works in my opinion. I'll probably be seeing this one or two more times.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 03:56 AM   #146
JD
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
So Bucky never took the serum then? I had assumed that since he took on the Captain America persona, he must have taken the serum too.
Old July 25 2011, 03:59 AM   #147
the G-man
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Re: Montage of WWII battle moments

In discussions about a sequel the question was posed if we would have a chance to see more WWII Steve given the movies ending. The answer was simply yes.

I think what could happen is that the montage moments where they are taking out Hydra facilities(Peggy is seen removing them from the map) is where not only could we see more WWII, but Peggy and the Commandoes. Can't recall if Bucky dies pre or post montage.

This would allow for us to have the stand alone Cap movies in WWII, if they saw fit, and present day Cap in The Avengers movies.
If that's true, it's kinda strange that Cap and the gang would take time out from, you know, stopping Red Skull from blowing up the U.S. and taking over the world to go off on a bunch of other missions.

Seems like that would kind of take precedence. lol
Not "take time off"
Yes. The implication was that it took Cap the better part of several months (if not longer) to actually find Red Skull before the final battle and, during that time, he and the Howlers (including Bucky) had successfully taken out a number of other Hydra bases as part of their effort at stopping him.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 04:00 AM   #148
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I don't remember if his genetics were tampered with in the process of him becoming Winter Solider. It's been a while since I read that arc.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 04:17 AM   #149
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I don't think he was tampered with, other than giving him the robotic arm to replace the one he lost. But it's been a long time since I've read it too.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 04:20 AM   #150
CaptainCanada
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
So Bucky never took the serum then? I had assumed that since he took on the Captain America persona, he must have taken the serum too.
No, the serum remained lost. Bucky was a normal human (apart from the cyborg arm, of course).

- Homer Simpson