Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 20 2011, 08:30 AM   #91
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

Are you kidding? This obviously isn't about suing parents, or having memories uploaded and shared, it's a human story of how being able to obsessively relive memories in every minor detail would ruin lives. A tiny suspicion could grow and grow, like here. Sex tapes would be here with everyone, imagine that drunken screw not just a source of embarrassment for you, but recorded for the other person to replay or share at their leisure, the way every minor detail could be extracted from life in general, facebook photos already ruin peoples chances at a job, imagine if people uploaded and tagged entire memories?
Old December 20 2011, 01:46 PM   #92
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What the story was about was so small, so of course we would get distracted by the minutiae.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 02:02 PM   #93
Starkers
Admiral

Well that's 50 minutes of my life I won't ever re-do....awful. I'm all for dark and gritty, but where the entire cast of characters are this unlikeable then there's nothing and nobody to engage with. The dinner party was just excruciatingly painful to watch. The central premise was interesting but was handled in such a dull way with a dull story riffing on Coupling's 'The Cupboard of Patrick's Love' without any of the energy from that story. Hard to imagine this was written by one of the Peep Show guys.

Anything remotely interesting (gouging, the airport security, the woman without a grain not being able to report a crime, hell even his job review) was sidelined by a story that was essentially 'Eastenders in the future...'

Frankly Strange Days and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have trodden similar ground in far more engaging ways.

Overall I'd review Black Mirror thusly...

National Anthem: 7/10, batty and original storyline, exceptionally well cast and acted, let down by innumerable plot holes and the sheer ludicrousness of the plot

15 Million Merits: 9/10, standout of the series that rose above its very obvious subject matter to create a world you believed (to a degree) and characters you could engage with.

The history of You: 5/10, poorest of the three by some margin...

Be interesting to see if this gets another series (I'm not sure if Brooker even planned it to go on beyond these three stories) if it does I'd hope for more like the first two and less like the third!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2011, 02:40 PM   #94
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^He said he hoped it would get a second run in an interview recently.
Old December 21 2011, 03:55 PM   #95
Starkers
Admiral

Cool, I actually hope it does. It's something a little different from the norm. I'd kinda like to see it move away from just being an anthology related to technology issues, but I get that that's kind of the point, and where it gets the name from.

Old December 21 2011, 04:11 PM   #96
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Three Wise Doctors wrote: View Post
...the entire cast of characters are this unlikeable... The dinner party was just excruciatingly painful to watch... Hard to imagine this was written by one of the Peep Show guys.
I don't know, unlikeable characters and painful situations are the things at the very core of Peep Show.

Anything remotely interesting (gouging, the airport security, the woman without a grain not being able to report a crime, hell even his job review) was sidelined by a story that was essentially 'Eastenders in the future...'
Ah yes, the old "It's about human relationships, therefore it's a soap opera" mentality.

How often do you pass airport security? How often do you report a crime? How often do you have a performance evaluation? A couple of times a year, or lifetime, most likely. Now, how often do you interact with friends or loved ones? I'm going to guess that it's something you do pretty much daily. So, is this thing that is a ubiquitous element of our lives not worthy of an examination through the lense of this magical technology? I'm all for sci-fi exploring how futuristic technologies could shape our societies, but exploring how they could impact us on a personal level is just as, if not more, important.
Old December 21 2011, 04:56 PM   #97
Starkers
Admiral

Human relationships are fine so long as I care about the humans involved, and whilst the characters in Peep Show are flawed, and are at times not very nice, I can relate to them and at times cheer them on, or at least feel something for them, even if its only pity. I felt nothing for any of the characters here, with the exception of the babysitter who I was embaressed for.

Give me painfully human Mark Corrigan over any of the pretentious vaccuous arseholes that passed for 'characters' in this story.

Old December 22 2011, 02:54 PM   #98
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's plenty more women in the watercloset.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2011, 03:07 PM   #99
Pingfah
Admiral

I just watched episode 1 of this last night. Brooker is one ingeniously sick bastard
Old December 22 2011, 03:33 PM   #100
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I liked the series. Initially I was very sceptical, since imo critics usually don't make very good creatives; I'm not saying it's easy to bash stuff the way Brooker does, but it takes a different mindset to actually do something original.

However I did like all three episodes. Not the best tv I've ever seen, but pretty compelling anyway. My biggest complaint would be, that it was a little wishy-washy. For example episode 1: was it supposed to be comedic or hard political drama? Because while it was entertaining it was neither especially funny nor convincing imo (there's simply no way a politician would survive fucking a pig on live tv, sorry, but no way). Episode 2 was "tighter" that way, but a little monotonous and as someone else said in this thread a very blatant Mary Sue.
Old December 22 2011, 04:30 PM   #101
Pingfah
Admiral

^ Brooker has already had a major hand in numerous very well thought of comedies though, Brass Eye and Nathan Barley he wrote for, and the absolutely brilliant Dead Set was all his creation. He's pretty well established as a creative now.
Old December 25 2011, 09:12 PM   #102
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Charlie Brooker's 2011 wipe is on BBC 4 Friday 30th dec 10.30pm.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2011, 09:17 PM   #103
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Can it be on tonight instead?
Old December 25 2011, 10:49 PM   #104
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Skutter Claws wrote: View Post
Can it be on tonight instead?
No tonight is Downton night.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2011, 07:00 PM   #105
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

So who watched 2011 Wipe? Really made me laugh, Charlie at his surly best.

iPlayer link for those in the UK who missed it... Charlie says the best way to get more is to watch on iPlayer because logged views will prove the popularity.