Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 24 2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

What's it like to flop?

Because, you know, none of us ever having had that experience I'm sure we all wonder.

Any film production, like a long grueling campaign over months and years, is filled with crisis, compromise, exhaustion, conflict, elation, and blind faith that if one just works harder, the results will turn out all right in the end. During that process whatever anger, frustration, or disagreement you have with the candidate/film you keep to yourself. Privately you may oppose various decisions, strategies, or compromises; you may learn things about the candidate that cloud your resolve and shake your confidence, but you soldier on, committed to the end. You rationalize it along the way by imagining that the struggle will be worth it when the candidate wins.
You tell yourself to just enjoy the process. That whether you succeed or fail, win or lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.
Worth a read.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: What's it like to flop?

I didn't even realize Conan came out already. And it opened fourth, losing out to two films that have been out a few weeks and a Spy Kids sequel? Jesus. I feel really bad for them.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Someone once said that no one (make that "relatively few" IMAO) makes bad movies because they want to make bad movies but that they don't know how to do better.
Old August 24 2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

I would think no one, even Ed Wood, intends a flop. With so many people part of making a film, things can start going wrong long before anyone recognizes trouble, and once problems are recognized, production has gone on to the point that it is almost impossible to change shy of just remaking the movie from scratch. Pockets just are not that deep for movie makers and their investors, so like the writer quoted says- hope for a miracle.
Old August 24 2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
I would think no one, even Ed Wood, intends a flop.
I dare you to watch After Last Season and then say that.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'm not surprised at the flop at all. Being R rated gave it little chance of wide success... while it may make some of the fen happy to see more gore, that only draws in the slasher crowd in numbers. DVD sales will be better, I'd imagine.

And I find it hard to believe anyone wants to make a bad movie outside of a The Producers kind of scenario.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised at the flop at all. Being R rated gave it little chance of wide success... while it may make some of the fen happy to see more gore, that only draws in the slasher crowd in numbers.
Conan the Barbarian (1982), Gladiator and 300 were all rated R and were all hits.
Old August 24 2011, 04:14 PM   #8
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I watch movies on DVD that flopped because I wanted to see them anyway. I often watch the BTS stuff regarding the making of the movie.

I'm amazed by the work and effort of the set decorators, the costumers, wardrobe, FX people, art designers.

Stuff that you wouldn't notice way in the background, but considerable effort is made to research it for historical accuracy, work is handmade for authenticity, only vintage materials are used (at quite an expense) and so on.

Tremendous efforts, and hardly noticeable unless you are an expert viewer or watch the making-of.

...and then the movie flops, and it's all for nothing.
That's gotta suck so hard.

If the director is nuts, or the actors are weak, or the writers are idiots, that's understandable, they got what's coming to them.

But the production people who go all out, really outdo themselves, and then the movie flops anyway. What a kick in the nuts.

I think, a movie rarely hits or misses if the villagers are wearing authentic and accurate clothing fabrics.
But that doesn't stop the costumers from doing exhaustive historical research and massive searching for genuine materials. And all for nothing when the movie flops. Damn.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 05:06 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Because, you know, none of us ever having had that experience I'm sure we all wonder.
Let me tell you about the time I flopped -

I was young and naive, she had been a deckhand on a Russian fishing boat. I first caught sight of her when I was skinning a.... [Cont'd Pg 94]
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Eh, most guys just leave her hanging there.

Anyway...some of my favorite movies have been box office bombs. Serenity for example. I sure don't waste energy trying to persuade people that it failed for irrelevant or invalid reasons. The audience is always right...but what they're right about is that they do want to see a given movie or they don't.
Old August 24 2011, 08:03 PM   #11
EyalM
Captain

Dennis wrote: View Post
The audience is always right[/B]...but what they're right about is that they do want to see a given movie or they don't.
Well, sometimes the audience is uninformed (if the movie isn't promoted enough) or misinformed (if the trailers are misleading or just plain bad). That would explain how some movies a box office flops but hits on DVD.
Old August 24 2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

That's not necessary in order to explain the difference between theatrical failure and DVD success. Those are two different markets, with two different product life cycles and the competitive pressures are very different. Not everyone who's willing to buy a movie on DVD just didn't know about it when it was released or has "learned better" from a negative first impression.
Old August 24 2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I think most scripts fail in the story and script stage. It's the backbone of almost any film. The problem is, that's art. And art is subjective. And just because people don't go to see it, doesn't mean it's not 'good'. Whatever 'good' means. I'm not saying Conan's was.

And if you have a unappealing story and script, you'd better have giant, transforming 3D robots to make up for it. Conan sure as hell didn't have anything on that level.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 10:09 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
I think most scripts fail in the story and script stage. It's the backbone of almost any film. The problem is, that's art. And art is subjective. And just because people don't go to see it, doesn't mean it's not 'good'. Whatever 'good' means. I'm not saying Conan's was.

And if you have a unappealing story and script, you'd better have giant, transforming 3D robots to make up for it. Conan sure as hell didn't have anything on that level.
Considering how often I hear of excellent scripts being butchered in the final product, I don't think you can make that claim. Even in the article Dennis linked, the screenwriter said most of his best material didn't make it into the final movie.

Everyone involved with the film bears some responsibility for the final product. A good script doesn't mean a good movie, though a bad script will usually guarantee a bad movie. And then there are cases like you say, where the script doesn't even matter. So I think you contradicted yourself a bit.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 10:21 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I feel more bad for Jason Momoa in all this, compared with the screenwriters. By all accounts, he's the best part of the movie, but it would be true to Hollywood form for the newcomer actor to get a disproportionate share of the blame.

The writer has even more to say...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote