Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 16 2011, 07:37 AM   #31
cblmc1296
Commander

View cblmc1296's Twitter Profile
Re: TOS Voice-Over Actor?

scotpens wrote: View Post
Listen to Billy Connolly or Craig Ferguson if you want to know what a real Scottish accent sounds like. Whatever accent Jimmy Doohan was doing, it sure as hell wasn't Scottish.
Jimmy Doohan actually talked about that quite frequently. It was his take on what a Scotsman might sound like 300 years in the future. He discussed it at some length with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow Show in a 1976 appearance that also featured Koenig and De Kelley
Old July 16 2011, 08:13 AM   #32
inflatabledalek
Captain

Listen to Billy Connolly or Craig Ferguson if you want to know what a real Scottish accent sounds like. Whatever accent Jimmy Doohan was doing, it sure as hell wasn't Scottish.
I don't know, Ferguson sounds very hybridised to me, he's clearly lived in the States for years and its rubbed off on his voice, resulting in a slightly odd accent that I'd say sounds less convincingly Scottish than Doohan.

But then, real life accents often are much more bizarre than anything you'd ever hear in films or telly.
Old July 16 2011, 08:49 AM   #33
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Are you sure? I could have sworn the voice of "Balok" was done by Ted Cassidy (who also played the andriod "Rok" in What Are Little Girks Made Of and of course is famous for playing the butler "Lurch" in The Addams Family TV series.)
The voice of the fake, scary Balok featured in most of the episode was Ted Cassidy, yes, unmistakably. But the voice of the real childlike Balok seen at the end of the episode was Edmiston (dubbing over Clint Howard).
Doh - my bad - I see where my confision came from (and it's my fovorite Star Trek episode too)
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 10:07 AM   #34
Maurice
Vice Admiral

cblmc1296 wrote: View Post
Vic Perrin (who was probably best known for the prologue voice-over on "The Outer Limits") also did the voice of Nomad if I remember correctly and he appeared on screen as Tharn in Mirror Mirror. For some reason though, his voice credits were always easier to find than the one I originally inquired about.
Depends on "best known" to whom. Perrin was a regular guest star on the long-running Gunsmoke radio show (he also was a writer on maybe five episodes).
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 03:52 PM   #35
cblmc1296
Commander

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Vic Perrin (who was probably best known for the prologue voice-over on "The Outer Limits") also did the voice of Nomad if I remember correctly and he appeared on screen as Tharn in Mirror Mirror. For some reason though, his voice credits were always easier to find than the one I originally inquired about.
Depends on "best known" to whom. Perrin was a regular guest star on the long-running Gunsmoke radio show (he also was a writer on maybe five episodes).
Hence my use of the qualifying term "probably". In actual fact, he may be "best known" - as in having his voice heard by the broadest group of people - for the recorded voice instructions in AEDs.
Old July 16 2011, 05:01 PM   #36
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Jimmy Doohan actually talked about that quite frequently. It was his take on what a Scotsman might sound like 300 years in the future. He discussed it at some length with Tom Snyder on the Tomorrow Show in a 1976 appearance that also featured Koenig and De Kelley
And Martin Luther King, jr personally talked Nichols into staying on Star Trek.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 07:58 PM   #37
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ One wonders if Nichols ever had the same mischievous twinkle in her eye while telling her MLK stories that Doohan had when talking about his 300-year-old Scottish accent. (She didn't on the versions I saw her tell.)
Old July 16 2011, 11:07 PM   #38
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Doohan also often said that if he did a truly authentic Scottish accent, you wouldn't have understood a bloody word Scotty said (much like the bloke from Aberdeen who he based the accent on in the first place). He toned it down out of necessity.

As for Craig Ferguson, he often jokes about how his family back in Scotland accuse him of having lost his accent.

Back to Edminston, his imdb.com page only lists Provider #2 and the Vulcan Space Central voice.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 11:16 PM   #39
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Doohan also often said that if he did a truly authentic Scottish accent, you wouldn't have understood a bloody word Scotty said (much like the bloke from Aberdeen who he based the accent on in the first place). He toned it down out of necessity.

As for Craig Ferguson, he often jokes about how his family back in Scotland accuse him of having lost his accent.
Craig's other Scots gag is saying that the accent Doohan did (and others attempting a Scots accent) sounds like a Pakistani.

I've noticed Craig's accent gets thicker when he talks to other Scots, like Karen Gillan.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2011, 11:48 PM   #40
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Or Billy Connolly, or Shirley Manson (although when she's on, it gets fun, because of the Glasgow/Edinburgh rivalry that inevitably creeps in).

Y'know, upon further reflection, Doohan's "Scotty" accent seems to be somewhere between Scottish and Welsh...so maybe Futurama wasn't so far off, after all with the introduction of Welshie...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 12:01 AM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Remember what I said above about Walker Edmiston being used to dub a character who only appeared in outdoors scenes because it was easier than bringing back the guest star to do it? I think I just saw (or heard) the same thing done in the 1968 Mission: Impossible episode "The Elixir." There was a gate guard whose (dubbed) voice sounded a lot like Edmiston.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 01:30 AM   #42
cblmc1296
Commander

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
^ One wonders if Nichols ever had the same mischievous twinkle in her eye while telling her MLK stories that Doohan had when talking about his 300-year-old Scottish accent. (She didn't on the versions I saw her tell.)
Although any mischievous twinkle in Nichele Nichols' eye is a nice thing! ;-)
Old July 17 2011, 11:11 PM   #43
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Vic Perrin (who was probably best known for the prologue voice-over on “The Outer Limits”) also did the voice of Nomad if I remember correctly and he appeared on screen as Tharn in Mirror Mirror. For some reason though, his voice credits were always easier to find than the one I originally inquired about.
His on-camera acting roles also include a George Reeves Superman episode, an appearance on Dragnet, and the Twilight Zone ep “People are Alike All Over” with Roddy McDowall and Susan Oliver.

. . . In actual fact, he may be “best known” - as in having his voice heard by the broadest group of people - for the recorded voice instructions in AEDs.
Which are what, exactly?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
And Martin Luther King, jr personally talked Nichols into staying on Star Trek.
Right. And Dick Van Dyke’s “mockney” accent in Mary Poppins was his take on what a London Cockney might sound like in . . . uh . . . in some parallel universe or something.

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
One wonders if Nichols ever had the same mischievous twinkle in her eye while telling her MLK stories that Doohan had when talking about his 300-year-old Scottish accent.
300 years hence, I assume you mean.

Yes, I figured Doohan was probably pulling our collective leg with that “future Scotsman” remark.

Last edited by scotpens; July 18 2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 11:25 PM   #44
cblmc1296
Commander

Yes, I figured Doohan was probably pulling our collective leg with that “future Scotsman” remark.
No doubt. Although, as someone else pointed out earlier, if he had had done a more authentic Scottish burr we'd probably not have understood half his lines! ;-)

BTW, AED = Automatic External Defibrillator. It is my understanding that Mr. Perrin's voice was recorded for use in the defib devices' audio instructions.

Last edited by cblmc1296; July 18 2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added a missing word
cblmc1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2011, 01:38 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Even so, it's not without merit. Accents really do evolve over time. The Scottish accent of today would probably be unrecognizable to a Scot from 300 years ago, and so it stands to reason that a Scottish accent 300 years from now would be rather unlike the present one. Same with a Russian accent like Chekov's.

People sometimes complain about the Frenchman Jean-Luc Picard having an English accent. My response is, who's to say that isn't what a French accent will sound like 400 years from now?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote