Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 20 2011, 05:07 AM   #1
JonnyQuest037
Commodore

What unseen parts of the ship do you wish we saw?

On TOS we saw the bridge, engineering, sickbay, the shuttle bay, the transporter room, the auxilary control room, as well as various crew quarters, briefing rooms and lounge areas. But when you consider the sheer size of the Enterprise, we really didn't see all that many areas of the ship. Were there any areas that the creators didn't show us that you wish they did?

For me, I think it would have been cool to see some of the science labs aboard the ship. Spock presumably had many science areas under his direct supervision, but from what TOS showed us, nearly all of his experiements and deductions took place in his bridge viewfinder. I think seeing some more of the security facilities besides the brig could have been interesting.
Old June 20 2011, 05:35 AM   #2
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: What unseen parts of the ship do you wish we saw?

I could be a smart ass, and say the women's shower/locker room. But how about that bowling alley we've heard about? Or even a really proper botanical garden. I'd also liked to have seen the part of the hanger deck where they store all the other shuttle decks.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

More of the engineering setup. It'd be a real help in laying out the secondary hull.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

The torpedo facilities, so that we could put to rest the concept of the torps being energy balls and see with our own eyes that a 1960s scifi show would insist on portraying them as instantly recognizable cigar shapes...

Also, one or more of those facilities that were too big to be done in set form. Either in TOS-R style, with latter-day CGI making the impossible possible, or in matte form. Such as the true vastness of the "maze" they called Main Engineering. Or the hangar spaces of the shuttlecraft handling complex. Or one of the workshops or fabrication facilities that gave our heroes their instant Nazi uniforms or flintlocks.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Scrambo
Lieutenant Commander

View Scrambo's Twitter Profile

I agree with the science labs.. maybe the medical labs, wasnt the enterprise meant to have a swimming pool as well? Possibly more crew quarters, more of engineering in detail too.
Scrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Botany Bay
Commodore

I wish we'd seen every inch of it!

A few off the top of my head I'd love to have seen :
  • Bar
  • Bowling Alley
  • Kirk's Office
  • Ion Pod
  • Observation deck(s)
  • Torpedo room
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Blip
Fleet Captain

Any room in the interhull connect... Don't think I've ever seen one in there. Or the gubbins around the navigational sensor dome. Or (as mentioned above) the Torpedo Bays.

And how about a TOS depiction of the turbolift shafts?
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

Any room in the interhull connect... Don't think I've ever seen one in there.
Well, some early action took place on Deck 12, which cannot be located anywhere else no matter which of the slightly varying size estimates and internal layout ideas we choose to believe in... For example Kirk's cabin was in the interhull in "Mudd's Women" by that token.

Timo Saloniemi
Old June 20 2011, 02:02 PM   #9
blssdwlf
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
Any room in the interhull connect... Don't think I've ever seen one in there.
Well, some early action took place on Deck 12, which cannot be located anywhere else no matter which of the slightly varying size estimates and internal layout ideas we choose to believe in... For example Kirk's cabin was in the interhull in "Mudd's Women" by that token.
Or Deck 12 could be in the Secondary hull if the deck heights are made to be of varying heights. Some sizing of the Enterprise places 8 decks in the primary hull and it could be argued that the interconnect has only one or two "decks" making deck 10 start at the top of the secondary hull.

Parts I'd like to have seen would've been:

the rest of Engineering
the cargo bay
enlisted quarters
recreation room 3, all levels of it
the bowling alley
ion pod
torpedo room

blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Green Shirt
Commodore

Scrambo wrote: View Post
I agree with the science labs..
Since Kirk said there were 14 of them, one would have been bumping into one every few feet or so.
Old June 20 2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Good topic.

So many aspects to the ship were either never touched on or too briefly.

It would've been interesting to see the the turbo lift system in more detail. We do see indicators of the cars going up or down and then sideways, based on the light bar display. It's funny how in TNG, they did away with that (no sense given of which direction the elevator is moving). Anyway, a glimpse of the turbolift shaft would be cool. Also, some kind of position indicator at the entry door, so someone can see just how far away the next turbo lift is.

It would've been great if there was a 10-forward shown, even if briefly, to help lend continuity into TNG.

Much more detail of the shuttle bay, so we can see where shuttles are stored and how they're moved about. Perhaps a view from one of the upper levels looking down.

A much bigger aboretum/botanical garden.

More on recreation. The gymnasium shown in more episodes (Charlie-X was the only one). A swimming pool in action, too.

use of a crew quarters shower and or bathroom.

The galley crew (chef, assistants, etc) and some detail about the management of the food replication system.
Old June 20 2011, 05:18 PM   #12
Green Shirt
Commodore

Since Kirk's closet had uniforms hanging in them (from the deleted scene from "Corbomite") they probably weren't replicated as needed, so there must have been some type of a laundry/repair facility.
Old June 20 2011, 05:50 PM   #13
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Cetacean Ops! :-)
Old June 20 2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Did they ever actually mention a swimming pool? I wrote one into my (shelved) nuTrek novel, but never heard back on whether that was approved.
Old June 20 2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Timo
Admiral

The episodes don't feature references, no. The first source to mention a pool would appear to be Shane Johnson's Mr Scott's Guide... Although if they always had that TAS holodeck, a pool would then appear a bit redundant.

The bowling alley could be a figment of Riley's imagination, and another thing better replaced by the holodeck; it could become the pool on alternate evenings, then.

I would have liked to see more of that early holodeck. And of the recreation facilities in general. The editing of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" makes it appear as if one of the Rec Rooms is three decks high, which is a perfectly fine concept that jibes with what we see in ST:TMP. Just place said Rec Room directly below the bridge, at the center of the saucer - both in TOS and in ST:TMP - so that it actually fits inside the hull and serves as a sensible route for a chase that takes place after the hunter (as per his demonstrated abilities) remotely disables the prey's turbolift just below Deck 1.

Timo Saloniemi