RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,657
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 527
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 29 2011, 06:44 PM   #61
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Book reading timeline

I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll see about that in a little bit.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2011, 09:44 PM   #62
JWolf
Commodore

mindx2 wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
^ Buy "Voyages of the Imagination". It will so easily answer all of this.

And playing around on Memory Beta is also pretty easy.
I have it ordered but it won't be in for a while.
Check the links in the following post. Both sites are built on the timeline in VOTI. But they seem to both be stopped. But they will do fine for what you want.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=20
Old July 29 2011, 11:30 PM   #63
mindx2
Lieutenant

Thanks JWolf. That will certainly help, I just need to try and sift through it to find what I need. It's not exactly user friendly the way it's splits up different chapters from a book into different parts of the timeline .
mindx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 02:29 AM   #64
ryan123450
Commodore

That's how VotI is formatted. Since you can get the info on all those crossover series you wanted from that site, I won't post thier placements here.

Old July 30 2011, 02:41 AM   #65
Idran
Commander

Thanks JWolf. That will certainly help, I just need to try and sift through it to find what I need. It's not exactly user friendly the way it's splits up different chapters from a book into different parts of the timeline .
Well, if a book has chapters that would fall at different places in the timeline, I'm not really sure if there would be a better way to do that to know where in the timeline the book fits. Since it doesn't fit in a single place. :/
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2011, 03:56 AM   #66
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Wow. My computer access has been limited recently so I haven't had a real chance to read through this thread until today. Good work everyone!
Old July 30 2011, 11:24 AM   #67
mindx2
Lieutenant

Idran wrote: View Post
Well, if a book has chapters that would fall at different places in the timeline, I'm not really sure if there would be a better way to do that to know where in the timeline the book fits. Since it doesn't fit in a single place. :/
Unfortunately, I can't (won't ) split/cut/tear my books up into different chapters to fit on my book shelf. Trying to place them chronologically according to the majority of when the book takes place. Hope that makes sense .
Old July 30 2011, 02:51 PM   #68
JWolf
Commodore

But it is set up also so you find where the book fits as a whole. So just ignore the bits with the chapters as if there were not there.
Old July 30 2011, 09:55 PM   #69
Idran
Commander

Unfortunately, I can't (won't ) split/cut/tear my books up into different chapters to fit on my book shelf. Trying to place them chronologically according to the majority of when the book takes place. Hope that makes sense .
What about buying multiple copies?
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 02:54 AM   #70
JD
Admiral

When it come to that I usually go with either the frame (if there is one), or the majority of the book if there is no frame. For instance, if I were to get physical copies of the Eugenics Wars books, I'd place them based on the Kirk and co. scenes, not the Gary Seven stuff.
Old July 31 2011, 03:37 AM   #71
ryan123450
Commodore

That's my preferred method as well.

Old July 31 2011, 03:55 AM   #72
Christopher
Writer

I used to try to fit everything chronologically, but as we got more anthologies and collections and such, I ended up establishing a separate section on the bookshelf for volumes that span multiple time periods -- mostly collections but also things like The Eugenics Wars, Burning Dreams, and The Best and the Brightest. I was tempted to put Watching the Clock there too, but since it spans roughly the same timeframe as Rough Beasts of Empire and there's relatively little else in that span, I decided to put those two adjacent to each other.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2011, 12:27 PM   #73
mindx2
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
I used to try to fit everything chronologically, but as we got more anthologies and collections and such, I ended up establishing a separate section on the bookshelf for volumes that span multiple time periods -- mostly collections but also things like The Eugenics Wars, Burning Dreams, and The Best and the Brightest. I was tempted to put Watching the Clock there too, but since it spans roughly the same timeframe as Rough Beasts of Empire and there's relatively little else in that span, I decided to put those two adjacent to each other.
I thought about doing it that way but am ending up putting collections, anthologies, etc. chronologically based on the 1st story. As far as single novels that span large time frames I'm putting them where the majority of the story takes place. If there isn't a majority time frame, or not an obvious one, I'll put it in from the beginning of where the story takes place.
Old August 1 2011, 12:26 AM   #74
Steve Roby
Commodore

I arrange my Trek books by series then by publishing date. Much easier for one's sanity.
Steve Roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2011, 12:34 AM   #75
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Until recently I put them in chronological order (as determined by the majority of the story, or the frame if there is one, with occasional deviations). Anthologies were collected separately on the end. Now there are too many books for the available space and they're mostly piled semi-randomly. I need to buy another bookcase or three...there are piles of books, Trek and otherwise, all over my room.

So the literary timeline has collapsed.