Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 12 2011, 12:54 AM   #1
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

HBO to produce Gaiman's American Gods

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nounces-197012

6 seasons? jumping the gun a little?
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: HBO to produce Gaiman's American Gods

I'm guessing that's just the game plan for adapting the Gaiman work; just like Game of Thrones probably has a general idea of what to do with a third season (adapt all or part of A Storm of Swords, most likely) although only a second season has been greenlit.

The series-in-development, revolving around the question “are you a god if no one believes in you?”
So... Small Gods, the series, I assume.

There are some crazy things in there. We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series,” said Goetzman.
Now there's a bold claim. At least he's smart enough to throw in the hedge 'probably'.

Has potential, I guess, and this might be an excuse to actually read this book(s). They any good?
Old June 12 2011, 03:06 AM   #3
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'll be honest, I read American Gods all the way through and for some reason, it was like in one ear, out the other. I generally remember characters and plotlines that grab me, but not this time. I enjoyed it while reading it, otherwise I would have dropped it, but I have only vague impressions now what it was even about. I wouldn't even be able to tell you who should play the roles, or what the roles even were.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 05:54 AM   #4
Roland19
Commander

View Roland19's Twitter Profile

Gaiman is one of my favorite writers. This is VERY cool news. American Gods was a really good novel. 6 seasons though? Sounds like they'd be expanding the material quite a bit. Hopefully, they will get Gaiman on as a consultant and let him write some episodes (his recent Doctor Who episode was awesome).

I'll check this show out for sure. Though I'll have to go through Netflix. lol.
Roland19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Brilliant news. I loved the novel (although not quite as much as Neverwhere or Good Omens but I have ridiculous amounts of love for both of them) and I look forward to this series.

In case no one has already heard, the novel itself is getting republished with new material and essays.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Technobuilder
Commodore

Nice, now if only HBO would do the smart thing and pick up THE DRESDEN FILES as an ongoing series, I'd be ecstatic.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Emh wrote: View Post
Brilliant news. I loved the novel (although not quite as much as Neverwhere or Good Omens but I have ridiculous amounts of love for both of them) and I look forward to this series.

In case no one has already heard, the novel itself is getting republished with new material and essays.

I would've loved if good omens was done first that is such a fantastic frakin book. and I all so loved neverwhere both book and pbs tv series. one of my favorite british writters next to tolkien. the only bad thing is I';ll be a year behind in the series since I don't have HBO argh .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Neil Gaiman spoke to MTV about the series. He's planning to write a sequel novel and says he'd better get cracking on that to provide more material for the TV adaptation. The first season of the TV show will adapt the first book, with some new material mixed in.

Anansi Boys will be adapted in its own right at some point, most likely as a TV miniseries, and it won't be mixed into American Gods.
Old June 30 2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Nice, now if only HBO would do the smart thing and pick up THE DRESDEN FILES as an ongoing series, I'd be ecstatic.
Might be difficult to overcome the "Wait, didn't that already fail on Scifi?" stigma, but it would be nice.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2011, 03:35 AM   #10
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'm not really sure how you would do American Gods as an ongoing series lasting more than 1 season but it could be interesting to see them try.

I love the book. It's the only fiction novel I've ever read twice. One of the things I love about it is that, for such a long book, there's a real economy of prose in many of its sequences. With the main character, Shadow, within the 1st few sentences of the book you've already learned 90% of what you'll need to know about him for the rest of the book: "Shadow spent three years in prison. He looked big enough and don't-fuck-with-me enough that his biggest problem was wasting time."

I've had a few casting ideas in my head here & there. I'm not sure who would make a good Shadow. You need an actor that can portray lots of inner turmoil without doing a lot to outwardly show that. Plus, size is of paramount importance for the character. His size is one of the 1st things you learn about him. Ideally, you'd probably be looking for someone like Chris Hemsworth or Sam Worthington.

One bit of casting I cannot stress enough: The absolutely, positively MUST cast Brian Cox as Mr. Wednesday! No one else can mix charm & menace so effectively, setting off every mental alarm in your head yet still hypnotizing you into not running. It's like the scene in the book where he flirts with some jailbait waitress at a restaurant; Shadow compares it to watching an innocent faun being chased down by a viscious predator.
Old July 1 2011, 03:37 AM   #11
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

BTW, one bit I'd really like to see in the TV version is the scenes where the TV gods try to convert Shadow to their side by talking to him through old TV characters from Cheers & I Love Lucy.
Old July 1 2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

With the main character, Shadow, within the 1st few sentences of the book you've already learned 90% of what you'll need to know about him for the rest of the book: "Shadow spent three years in prison. He looked big enough and don't-fuck-with-me enough that his biggest problem was wasting time."
The fact that the character never moves off square one might be the reason I found the story so unmemorable. But if we just need someone muscled and bad-ass, hey, Josh Holloway needs to get his fine ass back on TV.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2011, 03:49 PM   #13
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

It's been years since I've read American Gods, so I don't have much memory of the story beyond the simply judgment that I loved the book. For Christmas one year, I purchased both AG and Good Omens for a couple friends, but couldn't decide which book should go to which friend so I put the gift bags down in front of them and just had one of them pick a bag without knowing what was inside.

Digression aside, I'm very much looking forward to reading the book again when the anniversary re-release comes out, and this HBO adaptation definitely has me interested.

timothy wrote: View Post
[...] I all so loved neverwhere both book and pbs tv series. [...]
BBC series.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
It aired on PBS in the US.
Old July 14 2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Audio interview with Neil Gaiman on the Nerdist podcast!

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/nerdi...6-neil-gaiman/
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote