Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old June 28 2011, 11:08 PM   #1
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Most hated trilogy: Star Wars prequels or Bayformers?

These seem to be the most maligned blockbuster films of the past decade. Both are based somewhat on a merchandise-heavy franchise which originated in the late 70s/early 80s, and both have a large fanbase who have largely rejected the films (Although they still made money)....both have characters who have become major pop culture icons (Darth Vader, Optimus Prime).

So I thought, why not compare the faults and some of the good stuff of each?
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Most hated trilogy: Star Wars prequels or Bayformers?

Judging from the first film in the series, which was a total mess (and apparently the "good one!") Transformers is easily worse. The prequels are a mess, too, but they're pretty to look at, and have terrific scores by John Williams.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Have only seen the Star Wars prequels, but judging by the trailers (and the director), the Transformers movies are probably worse.
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 11:27 PM   #4
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The Transformers movies are worse, but the prequels are hated worse. It's because the prequels are a bad follow-up to some beloved childhood memories, while the Transformers are a bad follow-up to some beloved childhood... toy commercials.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

For me Bayformers. They did for me what the PT did to Star Wars Fans.
Old June 28 2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Garak
You Just Keep Me Hanging On

That's a tough call - they're both pretty much equally awful in that they have some cool scenes but are mostly filled of cringe-worthy, vomitous drivel that doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever.
Old June 28 2011, 11:55 PM   #7
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Transformers is easily far worse. I'm all for cheap, fun, brainless popcorn entertainment. But these movies can't even manage that because they're so damn long! Also, Shia Labeouf & Megan Fox are a very poor choice to carry a movie. (Whatever happened to that hot Australian computer hacker from the 1st one?) Not to mention the tone deaf attempts at humor, like Bumblebee "lubricating" John Turturro.

The Star Wars prequels aren't 100% successful at what they're attempting but I'd say they achieve about 70% of their full potential. It's a series of great epics spectacularly visualized with some of the greatest score ever written and some damn fine actors. They're only hampered by George Lucas' complete inability to write convincing, human dialogue.

Of course, one very dubious dishonor both movies share: rediculously inappropriate jive-ass step-n-fetchit comic relief. What's all the more baffling is that, even after George Lucas made Jar Jar Binks an international punchline, Michael Bay made the same damn mistake (and more obnoxiously so) with Skid & Mudflap.
Old June 28 2011, 11:56 PM   #8
davejames
Vice Admiral

As bad as TF2 was, I still enjoyed the first Transformers more than all the SW prequels put together.

I'll take ridiculous and over the top over dull and lifeless any day.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:04 AM   #9
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Star Wars prequels by a long shot.. Bay movies are known for one thing and thing only.. huge action scenes where stuff blows up really good.

They are not pretending to be high drama or even attempt to make you think.. they just overload you with explosions, insane stunts and the occasional hot babe and you can like that or not.. personally when the mood strikes me i pop in a Bay movie and let my mind go blank. In fact, Armageddon is one of my most favorite popcorn blockbuster movie.

With Star Wars there's this huge legacy.. 3 now legendary movies that anyone with a little bit of mainstream pop culture knowledge has at least seen and most people at least like and some worship beyond sanity. The prequels though took a huge dump on the magic that were the original movies.. where those were filled with imagination, cool characters kids wanted to emulate we got lifeless people wandering through green screen sets randomly speaking their lines until it was time for another CGI-laden action scene.

The prequels lacked all the heart and "fantasticness" of the original movies and for that huge and epic fail that could have been avoided if anyone had the balls to keep Lucas from writing and directing them they will forever be my most hated trilogy.
Old June 29 2011, 12:22 AM   #10
Goji
Rear Admiral

At least George Lucas has figured out how to hold the camera properly.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:22 AM   #11
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
The Transformers movies are worse, but the prequels are hated worse. It's because the prequels are a bad follow-up to some beloved childhood memories, while the Transformers are a bad follow-up to some beloved childhood... toy commercials.
Sorta. I'd call Transformers: The Movie the greatest animated film of all time (take that, Miyazaki, you loser). I can't think of any film that's ever had the balls that movie does, and few that were as imaginative. Also, it had Orson Welles. Nausicaa of Valley of the Wind ain't got no Orson Welles.

But as bad as the Transformers films are, Bay didn't fuck up their predecessor, or even try to, whereas the ST Prequels are supposed to be, well, prequels, and attempt to ruin the original trilogy. I say attempt, because I find it reasonably easy to ignore anything I dislike in a fictional universe.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:25 AM   #12
the G-man
Rear Admiral

I agree with Myasishchev. Star Wars is hated more because it was such a disappointment after all those years of anticipation. No one really expected great art from a Michael Bay movie.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29 2011, 12:38 AM   #13
Shurik
Fleet Captain

This is a very difficult choice. Prequels are lifeless cartoons with nonsensical plot and very bad acting even from generally good and respected actors. Transformers movies are loud, stupid, boring as hell excuses for a movie, with no plot whatsoever.

Decisions, decisions ... I'd probably go with Transformers. The second one was boring even with Rifftrax, and it says something.
Old June 29 2011, 01:04 AM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

This is a no-brainer to me: Star Wars is worse. I love the Transformers for being fun action movies. The Star Wars prequels are boring as hell.
Old June 29 2011, 01:18 AM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Judging from the first film in the series, which was a total mess (and apparently the "good one!") Transformers is easily worse.
This, pretty much. Star Wars has better music, better visuals, action sequences I can actually enjoy, and the obnoxiousness - such as it is - is sedate compared to Bay.

I was quite fond of the Transformers growing up - the toyline more than the cartoon, truthfully. Honestly Transformers work best as a toy concept and are indeed a very good one - a car and a robot, it's like the baseline principle of boy's toys. Throw in some busywork where you turn the car into a robot and then back into a car and you're set.

But I had pretty much no interest in the Bay franchise after the first movie.

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Transformers: The Movie
Is also pretty awful (a theatrical advertisement for the new toy line up) but it at least is not the kind of awful where one waits what, forty minutes before you get Optimus Prime? You got robots doing robot things right from the start and that's all I really expect from a movie like that.

Sidebar: Also jeez Bay, three movies and still no Grimlock? What the hell is wrong with those people?