RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,862
Posts: 5,637,423
Members: 25,484
Currently online: 558
Newest member: mid83

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Dogs of War
By: Michelle on Mar 28

Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Star Trek Delta Coin Pouches
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Takei Museum Fundraiser In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Star Trek 3 Villain?
By: T'Bonz on Mar 25

Montgomery Comic Book Signing
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24

Mulgrew To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Mar 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 25 2015, 07:22 AM   #1
Brie
Lieutenant Commander
 
Brie's Avatar
 
Location: Reno, Nevada
View Brie's Twitter Profile
Fun Facts

We all love Star Trek and I'm sure we all also love knowing all the cool little "insider info" about the show and it's creation. I know I personally have spent an embarrassing amount of time reading and researching Trek to know all the secrets of the show. What this thread is for, is to provide a place for everyone to share their Star Trek related knowledge that is, fun, silly, interesting, cool, creepy and anything and everything in between. I'll start by telling you guys a few I have heard so far!

We all no the common ones like how Spock's hand gesture originates from his Jewish heritage or how actor James Doohan was shot 6 times in WWII. What I'm going to do is tell you all those little fact you never knew before (hopefully)

1.) Vulcans have no appendix.

2.) Motorola’s Martin Cooper, who led the development of the first handheld mobile phone, was inspired to try to develop the phone after watching Captain Kirk use a communicator on Star Trek.

3.)The Space Shuttle Enterprise, the first Space Shuttle orbiter, was originally going to be called the Constitution, but NASA changed the name to “Enterprise” based on a write-in campaign asking them to name it after the Star Trek vessel.

4.) In the original series, the 'arrowhead' badge worn by the crew of the Enterprise was meant to be an insignia for the Enterprise only. The Arrowhead insignia was later adopted as the official Starfleet symbol.

5.) Both Gene Roddenberry and James Doohan, after death, had vials containing small amounts of their ashes launched into orbit via satellites.



Lets hear some of your interesting Trek facts. I know you guys have some so come on! Share them with the world!
__________________
"The best diplomat that I know, is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott

Last edited by Brie; March 26 2015 at 05:09 AM.
Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View Maurice's Twitter Profile
Re: Fun Facts

Brie wrote: View Post
4.) In the original series, the 'arrowhead' badge worn by the crew of the Enterprise was meant to be an insignia for the Enterprise only...
Nope.

TO: Bill Theiss
FROM: Bob Justman
SUBJECT: STARSHIP EMBLEMS
DATE: December 18, 1967

Whilst sitting in Dailies today, it was noticed that a Starship Captain (from another Starship) was wearing an emblem unfamiliar to yours truly. I have checked the occurences out with Mr. Roddenberry, who has reassured me that all Starship personnel wear the Starship emblem that we have established for our Enterprise Crew Members to wear.

Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on “CHARLIE X”. However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel -- and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.

Please do not do anything to correct this understandable mistake in the present episode. However, should we have Starfleet personnel in any other episodes, please make certain that they were the proper emblem.

Under penalty of death!

Signed this 18th day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1967, by

ROBERT H. JUSTMAN
Chief Inquisitor

CC: Gene Roddenberry
John M. Lucas
D.C. Fontana
Gregg Peters

RHJ:sts
P.S. A carven “I’m sorry!” will be sufficient.
R.H.J.
__________________
* * *
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
—Will Rogers
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Captain Rob
Commodore
 
Captain Rob's Avatar
 
Re: Fun Facts

Just peeking in.

Hmmm. Newbeis.

Fascinating.
__________________
Regal Entertainment Group murdered United Artists
Captain Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 10:14 AM   #4
HIjol
Commodore
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: A Circle Has No End
Re: Fun Facts

How about this? "Spock was originally conceived as a red-skinned alien with a plate in the middle of his stomach. He didn’t eat or drink but fed upon any form of energy that struck his stomach plate" from randomhistory.com

Source: Westmore, Michael, and et. al. 2000. Star Trek: Aliens and Artifacts. New York, NY: Pocket Books
__________________
"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time."
Carl Sagan, US Astronomer (1934 - 1996)
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 11:30 AM   #5
hux
Captain
 
hux's Avatar
 
Location: Aberdeen
Re: Fun Facts

Andorians have a second anus

The Breen have no anus

Tellerites have no word for "anus"

If you say "hello" in English to a Bolian, in their language it actually translates as "big anus pump"

....

But seriously, I've got nothing. Other than Tiberius coming from the cartoon maybe but everyone knows that one. Oh and Roddenberry picked the name Khan because he served with a guy who had that name and hoped he'd see the episode and get in touch
__________________
They don't deserve punishment. They deserve gunishment

http://youtu.be/dRZo8CHsgp8
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral
 
Green Shirt's Avatar
 
Location: More than slightly off center
Re: Fun Facts

Brie wrote: View Post
Spock's hand jester
Is that like some kind of sock puppet clown?


Unless you mean hand gesture.
__________________
Its not easy being green.
Green Shirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Orphalesion
Captain
 
Orphalesion's Avatar
 
Re: Fun Facts

hux wrote: View Post
Andorians have a second anus

The Breen have no anus

Tellerites have no word for "anus"

If you say "hello" in English to a Bolian, in their language it actually translates as "big anus pump"
Before Lwaxana Troi the Klingons had no words for "nagging" and "obnoxious". In modern Klingon "Lwakshanar" can be a quick way of saying "Can you do something about this noise? It's giving me headache."

On a more serious note before Riva (a deaf/mute diplomat shown in TNG's second season) the Klingons had no word for "peace-maker".

Originally the three centre seats on the Enterprise's bridge were to be filled with Picard, Riker and Data (then still the science officer). Troi was moved from her office to the chair originally occupied by Data to heighten her visibility on the show. Data meanwhile was transferred to OPS and given the engineering uniform because the cyan of the science uniform was thought to clash with his golden skin.

Troi, despite the writers struggling with the character, was kept on TNG beyond the 1st season because Denise Crosby had left and it had already been decided to fire Gates McFadden and the producers were reluctant to drop/replace all their female cast members at once.

It is widely known that Michelle Forbes was supposed to play Ro Laren on DS9, occupying the role that would evolve into Kira. Perhaps lesser known is the fact that she was also approached about reprising her role as Ro on Voyager, occupying the role that became B'Elanna.
__________________
I'm Bajoran now. Bajorans are cool.

Last edited by Orphalesion; March 25 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Orphalesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 12:10 PM   #8
HIjol
Commodore
 
HIjol's Avatar
 
Location: A Circle Has No End
Re: Fun Facts

hux wrote: View Post
Andorians have a second anus
I think that would be "anii" and it is not something to bring up at a cock(!)tail(!) party. They get a little "testie"(!)

hux wrote: View Post
The Breen have no anus
This is a common misconception. The Breen, in fact, do have an anus. It is located where we would attribute their "mouth" to be. The advantages are, of course, perfectly obvious, but two that stand out are, 1. Making a point in certain arguments, and, 2. Defense mechanism to surprise potential threats.

hux wrote: View Post
Tellerites have no word for "anus"
While this is linguistically correct, the current generation of Young Tellerites are being influenced by Social Media, much to the chagrin of the Elder Tellerites, or, "ElderTellers"' and these youngsters have settled on the somewhat vulgar "poop-hole", derived - it is believed - from a teasing chant geared towards the Young Breen in the neighborhoods.

hux wrote: View Post
If you say "hello" in English to a Bolian, in their language it actually translates as "big anus pump"
And it is considered very impolite if, after you say "hello", you the refuse the inevitable invitation to join in a Communal Enema, as is their custom.


Thank you, hux, for letting me maul your post, especially since I did not ask! Hope you enjoyed!
__________________
"One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time."
Carl Sagan, US Astronomer (1934 - 1996)
HIjol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 12:55 PM   #9
martok2112
Captain
 
Re: Fun Facts

The Romulan motto at one time was E Pluribus Anum
__________________
If at first you don't secede, try and petition again.
martok2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Fun Facts

Brie wrote: View Post

3.)The Space Shuttle Enterprise, the first Space Shuttle orbiter, was originally going to be called the Constitution, but NASA changed the name to “Enterprise” based on a write-in campaign asking them to name it after the Star Trek vessel.
And thus, in our righteous haste, applied the glorious name Enterprise to a test article that never flew in space, nor even ever lit its engines. Idiots!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 02:15 PM   #11
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Fun Facts

hux wrote: View Post
Andorians have a second anus
That must come in handy during the honeymoon when those complex groups of four get married.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 03:03 PM   #12
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England
Re: Fun Facts

Maurice wrote: View Post
Brie wrote: View Post
4.) In the original series, the 'arrowhead' badge worn by the crew of the Enterprise was meant to be an insignia for the Enterprise only...
Nope.

TO: Bill Theiss
FROM: Bob Justman
SUBJECT: STARSHIP EMBLEMS
DATE: December 18, 1967

Whilst sitting in Dailies today, it was noticed that a Starship Captain (from another Starship) was wearing an emblem unfamiliar to yours truly. I have checked the occurences out with Mr. Roddenberry, who has reassured me that all Starship personnel wear the Starship emblem that we have established for our Enterprise Crew Members to wear.

Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on “CHARLIE X”. However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel -- and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.

Please do not do anything to correct this understandable mistake in the present episode. However, should we have Starfleet personnel in any other episodes, please make certain that they were the proper emblem.

Under penalty of death!

Signed this 18th day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1967, by

ROBERT H. JUSTMAN
Chief Inquisitor

CC: Gene Roddenberry
John M. Lucas
D.C. Fontana
Gregg Peters

RHJ:sts
P.S. A carven “I’m sorry!” will be sufficient.
R.H.J.
So it's one of Trek's most oft-repeated mistakes - even in the Okuda Trek books and going so far as to alter the USS Defiant emblem in the ENT episode "In a Mirror, Darkly"
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: Spock of Ages
Re: Fun Facts

To be fair, I don't think most fans or pros were privy to those memos. Mostly they went with what was on screen or had read in the various behind the scenes books out at the time.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 04:51 PM   #14
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: North America
Re: Fun Facts

That memo also fails to mention that insignia for other starships were actually used not just once but twice: in "The Omega Glory" and "The Doomsday Machine." Some of us on the board (not me), even argue that it was really thrice, that Commodore Wesley wore the badge of the Lexington in "The Ultimate Computer," as opposed to simply wearing the flower insignia shown to be worn on starbases in "The Menagerie" and "Court Martial," by Stocker in "The Deadly Years," and by flag officers phoning into the Enterprise via subspace in various other episodes.

Brie, this conversation about insignia is one that we've been having on the board for years. We've really come at it from a lot of different angles. And, we've been really fortunate to have access to behind-the-scenes memos such as that one, brought to us by dedicated posters such as Maurice, Harvey, and GSchnitzer. You can believe we've really parsed it, too.

Not everything in the show went as intended, and the insignia are one of those things, as that memo in conjunction with the counterexamples proves. Even the makers of "In a Mirror, Darkly" seemed not to be aware of the memo, or if they were then they deliberately countermanded it. Certainly, as Nerys Myk indicated, fan expectations were often extrapolations based solely on what was on screen, which itself was contradictory, and obviously not on behind-the-scenes memos when those were unknown. And, as he also indicated, certain high-profile publications, such as Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance pushed the every-starship-has-its-own-insignia view, which also clearly affected fan expectations.
__________________
“A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP” — Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015)

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; March 25 2015 at 05:09 PM.
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Fun Facts

Brie wrote: View Post
3.)The Space Shuttle Enterprise, the first Space Shuttle orbiter, was originally going to be called the Constitution, but NASA changed the name to “Enterprise” based on a write-in campaign asking them to name it after the Star Trek vessel.
Actually, I've gone looking and can find no primary sources to indicate that NASA had planned to name the first space shuttle orbiter Constitution --- or, for that matter, anything else. All the claims for the Constitution name seem to trace back to publicity from the unveiling of the Enterprise in 1976. Even the best space shuttle program or development histories don't provide any sources as to when Constitution was allegedly penciled in as a name, and there's a striking lack of talk about naming shuttles in contemporary NASA documents (e.g., Origins Of NASA Names).

In short, while Trekkies are certainly responsible for the orbiter being named Enterprise, the claim that OV-101 would have been named Constitution is unsupported and, to go by the earliest references (that it was named Constitution in honor of the US constitution's bicentennial --- in 1976? I didn't read Encyclopedia Brown for nothing) also suspiciously flawed.
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
facts, fun, movies, opinion, star trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.