Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 12 2011, 01:11 PM   #16
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: Captain's Yacht

RichMerk wrote: View Post
Okay, here's the first test render. The top of the hull has the beginnings of the texture on it. You can see through the window and see the pilot's console. I think I'll be changing the nose emblems. Putting both the Starfleet and the UFP symbols on there seemed like a good idea for a craft that would potentially be used for diplomatic functions, but now it seems a bit much.

Ya- I really like this... Something that's nothing like what we'd have now- as opposed to all the gigs that subsequently seem based on contempory winged vehicles...

This design emphasizes the technology of the future!

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2011, 11:25 PM   #17
RichMerk
Captain

View RichMerk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RichMerk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RichMerk Send a message via Yahoo to RichMerk

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
Ya- I really like this... Something that's nothing like what we'd have now- as opposed to all the gigs that subsequently seem based on contempory winged vehicles... This design emphasizes the technology of the future!
Yup, I'm all about putting the 'magic' back in Star Trek.

This afternoon I worked on the nose art. I like this version better, but I think I need a better font. Also the interior. There's enough detail to make it look decent through the windows or when the hatch is open, but isn't really totally fleshed out.

Though now that I think about it, all I'd really need is add a few more comfy chairs or a sofa along the wall and maybe partition off a bathroom... I think the control consoles turned out pretty good.

RichMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 12:05 AM   #18
LCARS 24
Commodore

This model of Corbeau racing seats was used a lot, in the E-E shuttles, as the Defiant captain's chair, etc.--even in the fake shuttle used to scam Degra in ENT:

LCARS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 01:39 AM   #19
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Ya- I really like this... Something that's nothing like what we'd have now- as opposed to all the gigs that subsequently seem based on contempory winged vehicles... This design emphasizes the technology of the future!
Yup, I'm all about putting the 'magic' back in Star Trek.

This afternoon I worked on the nose art. I like this version better, but I think I need a better font. Also the interior. There's enough detail to make it look decent through the windows or when the hatch is open, but isn't really totally fleshed out.

Though now that I think about it, all I'd really need is add a few more comfy chairs or a sofa along the wall and maybe partition off a bathroom... I think the control consoles turned out pretty good.

Awesome so far
Old July 13 2011, 10:27 AM   #20
RichMerk
Captain

View RichMerk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RichMerk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RichMerk Send a message via Yahoo to RichMerk

More texture work done, and a basic bump map for the upper hull. A new, modern Starfleet insignia on the nose, and a clean new font.

Old July 13 2011, 10:30 AM   #21
Kaziarl
Commodore

Are you ignoring the "line of sight" thing that many people think is a requirement for the nacelles? (cowlings in this case maybe?)

Either way is fine with me. I dont remember anything in the show saying there HAD to be line of sight, I was just curious.
Old July 13 2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Awesome Update
Old July 13 2011, 03:13 PM   #23
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

More texture work done, and a basic bump map for the upper hull. A new, modern Starfleet insignia on the nose, and a clean new font.

Niiiice! I'm only quoting so I can see the ship again!

Kaziarl wrote: View Post
Are you ignoring the "line of sight" thing that many people think is a requirement for the nacelles? (cowlings in this case maybe?)

Either way is fine with me. I dont remember anything in the show saying there HAD to be line of sight, I was just curious.
The option couple be to have the nacelles pop up or down.

But you're right- there's nothing on the show that said LoS is a rule. And the Defiant and Nebula classes have defied that concept.

The only reason I'd have said it was a rule was because an authority in Star Trek proposed that rule. That falls under the definition of Canon.

But that conflicts what we've seen as I mentioned above.

So- LoS can be considered a rule for earlier ships. Advances in treknology has allowed this rule to fall out of requirement.

I don't mind so much, and this design keeps the gig looking clean and in the spirit of pre-greebled out ships.

Old July 13 2011, 03:40 PM   #24
largo
Fleet Captain

So- LoS can be considered a rule for earlier ships. Advances in treknology has allowed this rule to fall out of requirement.
the LoS rule was also broken with the Phoenix, the first human warp vessel. so it apparently only applied to mid-era generations of warp technology.
Old July 13 2011, 04:56 PM   #25
LCARS 24
Commodore

What line of sight? The captain's yacht of the Galaxy/Nebula class doesn't have warp drive, only impulse drive and atmospheric thrusters. The yachts for the Intrepid and Sovereign class do have warp drive.
Old July 13 2011, 06:01 PM   #26
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^If you look at the images above you'll see details consistent with tiny bussards and intercoolers on the "wings".
Old July 13 2011, 06:40 PM   #27
LCARS 24
Commodore

In this version, maybe, but not the original.
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STO...nArriving.html
And Ex Astris Scientia agrees: no warp with the Calypso.
http://ex-astris-scientia.org/schema...t_shuttles.htm
Old July 13 2011, 07:20 PM   #28
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
What line of sight? The captain's yacht of the Galaxy/Nebula class doesn't have warp drive, only impulse drive and atmospheric thrusters. The yachts for the Intrepid and Sovereign class do have warp drive.
I was going to jump all over that and say that in chronological appearance, the Nebula class was first.

But I concede defeat none-the-less... Even the original concept of the Pheonix from the Star Trek Encylo doesn't have LoS... sigh...

I thought that would have been a nice explanation for it- give some consistancy and show the evolution of the technology.

LCARS 24 wrote: View Post
In this version, maybe, but not the original.
http://probertdesigns.com/Folder_STO...nArriving.html
And Ex Astris Scientia agrees: no warp with the Calypso.
http://ex-astris-scientia.org/schema...t_shuttles.htm
Maybe... Is it actually stated somewhere offical that it's impulse only? I mean, I don't want to get into a pissing match over who has the right information. I'm just curious. Is it in TNG's Blueprints for the Galaxy Class? I have it at home, but I'm at work now, so can't look.

The probert image shows a glowing blue strip, with two blue ones below that. If there's one on the other side too, that could be a nacelle?

Old July 13 2011, 08:17 PM   #29
Ensign Ro-
Commander

View Ensign Ro-'s Twitter Profile

Regardless of the LoS debate...you've created a very nice model. Like others have stated...it shows a technological advancement and also, IMHO, has the look and feel of a ship the captain would use on both official and personal excursions. Really, really nice work. :-)
Ensign Ro- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 08:37 PM   #30
RichMerk
Captain

Thanks, guys.

Regarding the LoS issue, I'm not a fan of these sorts of rules. You'll notice that the yacht also does not have an evident nav deflector, and neither does the yacht's mothership:

I'm not really sure how the various reference web sites would know whether or not the Calypso had warp drive since we never saw it, but since I'm not building the Calypso it doesn't matter. Then again, I would probably argue that most of the shuttles we've ever seen going all the way back to TOS, except for that tiny TNG shuttlepod, have warp drive.

Last edited by RichMerk; July 13 2011 at 09:31 PM.