Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 10 2011, 09:57 AM   #1
Candlelight
Admiral

New Zealand political leaders talk life, religion and euthanasia

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10737381

[Prime Minister] John Key believes that his spirit will survive him and [opposition leader] Phil Goff believes there is "a force that is beyond mankind" - but neither of our rival leaders believes he is going to heaven.
"I don't believe in an afterlife," said Mr Goff, simply.
Mr Key was a bit more circuitous.
"I can't tell you what happens the moment you die but I don't believe you go to another form," he said.
"I do think you have a spirit that moves to the next - it's part of you and it lives on in your children. But I just don't believe you go off to dancing around in the clouds."

Asked about a proposed bill allowing same-sex couples to adopt children, he said: "I can understand a situation and might support a same-sex adoption. I'm more thinking of a scenario where you have a heterosexual couple who break up.
"The single most important thing you can do for your kid is love them."
Mr Goff, who was brought up a Catholic and has been married for 31 years, said he personally believed in marriage but he knew unmarried heterosexual and same-sex couples who had "brought up children and done a brilliant job".
On euthanasia, Mr Key said he voted for the first reading of a private member's bill to legalise it in 2003 and would vote for a bill to go to a select committee if it came up again.
Given over a third of the population is Athiest, in New Zealand, if you have a politician who believes in God and preaches it openly, he's usually the one to avoid.