Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 17 2011, 03:28 AM   #1
2 of 10
Captain

Is this anyway to treat an Admiral...

Just finished watching "Generations" and the way that Jean-Luc "buried" on of StarFleets Best. Under a pile of rocks, so
eventually they would fall off and he would probably be eaten by the vermin on Vidian.

Surly, there must be some kind of protocal when dealing with the death of a Star Fleet legend, but under a pile of rocks seems just a bit undignfied, even for an ensign, must less a legend. Any thoughts ????
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Re: Is this anyway to treat an Admiral...

I always assumed that Kirk's body would be relocated to some grand memorial back on Earth once the Federation rescue ships arrived. I did not take the rock pile to be Kirk's final resting place (although I think some TrekLit states otherwise....). In the meantime -in a landscape that seemed to be rubble and boulders scattered across a surface of solid rock- the best way to keep a body from being dragged away and gnawed on by larger scavengers was to cover it with rocks. I believe the pile of rocks was also a nod to how ancient Earth cultures living in barren landscapes "buried" their dead.

Besides, unless you can seal the body up in a decent coffin or a big Tupperware container, smaller vermin are going to get to a body, whether it is eaten above ground or burrowed to underground!

I do agree, however- I did think it was a little odd when I first saw the scene, but then I thought, "Well- what else are you gonna do?"
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

To be sure, it doesn't sound possible at all that Kirk would have been under that pile of rocks to begin with.

Kirk dies by falling down a tall cliff - and the editing of that fall makes the cliff twice as tall as the real thing. He ends up a bloody mess in the middle of twisted metal. Would it be possible for Picard to haul Kirk's corpse all the way back up, along a route that for the most part consists of sheer rock and near-vertical metal ladders? Perhaps, if Picard were a muscular fireman in his early twenties, and had the entire day for the job. But even in that case, he would end up being covered in Kirk's blood and body parts.

So Picard really would have no means to get Kirk's body up there - and no particular reason to do so, either. OTOH, Picard himself would have every incentive to climb the hill and wait for rescue at the highest possible location, in the middle of Soran's distinct artifacts that could be spotted from the air. After having done so, he could well spend the idle hours piling a few rocks into a memorial cairn and then placing Kirk's badge on top of that cairn.

Which, BTW, is way too small to hide Kirk's body, even if we count the depression in the rock below. So we'd have to assume Fireman Picard also hacked Kirk's corpse to smaller pieces in order to make it fit, with tools he didn't have.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...15/gen1074.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

There's also the nagging issue of the Prime Directive. You can't just leave a body of one of your heroes there when on the planet next door is a different species that will be affected in about 200 years by finding his corpse.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

What happened to Kirk's body in the Shatnerverse novels? It was stolen or something like that, wasn't it?
Old June 21 2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Timo
Admiral

There's also the nagging issue of the Prime Directive. You can't just leave a body of one of your heroes there when on the planet next door is a different species that will be affected in about 200 years by finding his corpse.
The odds of anybody finding it before scavengers got to it and made it unrecognizable would be about zero - assuming Soran's artifacts were cleaned up first, so that no immediate attention would be drawn to the site. But if Soran's hardware was indeed mopped up, there'd be no good reason not to remove Kirk's body, too.

OTOH, why bother mopping up? The Veridianites are going to find out about space aliens eventually anyway, probably very, very soon after discovering spaceflight. Discovery of the remains is hardly comparable to a deliberate UFP attempt at influencing Veridianianianian development.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 03:49 PM   #7
Vance
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
What happened to Kirk's body in the Shatnerverse novels? It was stolen or something like that, wasn't it?
I admit that I liked the comic's answer. Once the events of Generations is over, Picard has it beamed into its final resting place in a Federation graveyard (think Arlington) with honors. (The story is really about Spock, sneaking across the Neutral Zone to be there.)
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Unwrapped
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unwrapped

Pffft. Everyone knows that Kirk's body disappeared into the Force after his death, just off camera.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unwrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2011, 05:51 PM   #9
billcosby
Commodore

2 of 10 wrote: View Post
...and he would probably be eaten by the vermin on Vidian.
Unlike most standard coffin burials, in which the body stays intact forever?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Aside from Kirk's body there was also the little problem of the giant Enterprise saucer on the planet. Someone's gonna have to come and clean all that up.
Old June 23 2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Ghrakh
Commander

Yep, Generations left a lot of mess to be cleaned up.
Old June 23 2011, 06:14 AM   #12
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Captain

I assumed that no one could know anything about Kirk's being alive or there. The whole incident was a violation of the Temporal Prime Directive, wasn't it?
Old June 23 2011, 10:32 AM   #13
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

The Mighty Monkey of Mim wrote: View Post
I assumed that no one could know anything about Kirk's being alive or there. The whole incident was a violation of the Temporal Prime Directive, wasn't it?
Wow! I haven't seen you on in AGES!
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Alrik
Rear Admiral

The Mighty Monkey of Mim wrote: View Post
Not likely, and if it was, it was Kirks violation, not Picard's. Kirk went with Picard to that specific place and time of his own free will. Once he learned he could leave the Nexus, he could have just as easily chosen to reappear on the B moments after he left and live out his days in his own time in retirement. Two problems with that though. One, it would have altered the timeline Picard knew (Kirk had been lost saving the B). Two, Kirk wanted to make a difference again. After considering his options, he figured helping Picard stop Soran was the more appealing choice.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2011, 08:00 PM   #15
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

Kirby wrote: View Post
the giant Enterprise saucer on the planet. Someone's gonna have to come and clean all that up.
Did any novels ever touch on that point?