Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 21 2011, 05:57 AM   #121
Bob Karo
Captain

Re: Before Dishonour....seriously?!

I like it. Does that make people who like the current direction Contras of some sort?

Hm... I'll have to think on that one.
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:40 PM   #122
Christopher
Writer

Bob Karo wrote: View Post
I like it. Does that make people who like the current direction Contras of some sort?
That would seem rather paradoxical. The people for the status quo are the Againsts?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 08:17 PM   #123
Anika Hanson
Captain

I'm reading the book at the moment. I'm about half way through. It's nowhere near as good as Peter David's other work, however I've found it to be better than all the next generation books that came before it. I'm not sure why people complain about it so much.
Old December 3 2011, 08:33 PM   #124
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Anika Hanson wrote: View Post
I'm reading the book at the moment. I'm about half way through. It's nowhere near as good as Peter David's other work, however I've found it to be better than all the next generation books that came before it. I'm not sure why people complain about it so much.
To name two things. It involves a "fan favourite" and a wall, also some gallows humour.

I rather liked it as well, unlike the other relaunch novels, I've read this one twice.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 08:50 PM   #125
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

however I've found it to be better than all the next generation books that came before it. I'm not sure why people complain about it so much.
Former editor, Marco Palmieri, used to say (I'm paraphrasing) that he'd rather have ST books come out that polarized the readership into two distinct camps than to release a book that no one had particularly strong feelings about.

This one really fits that first description. Controversy sells books. "Meh" sits on bookshelves.
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 11:58 PM   #126
Anika Hanson
Captain

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
To name two things. It involves a "fan favourite" and a wall, also some gallows humour.

I rather liked it as well, unlike the other relaunch novels, I've read this one twice.
I meant to say I prefer it to all the previous re-launch books not all the previous TNG novels! I haven't finished it so far but I do know about the death of said character. I've read later books in the timeline so I'm over it. Even though I haven't finished it, even if it goes downhill it can't be any worse than resistance, which is in fact the worse Trek book I've ever read.
I know some people have a problem with the style of writing in PAD's NF series. Personally I love it. I thought, storyline asside he showed enormous restraint in before dishonour.
Old December 5 2011, 06:35 PM   #127
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post

But "Before Dishonour"... eessh. It was painful. When you get lines like "Geordi had never noticed how much the computer voice sounded like Lwaxana TroI" (NUDGE, NUDGE, WINK, WINK READERS, AREN'T I THE FUNNIEZ!?!) you start to lose the will to live.
Honestly, these are problems to some extent in all of Peter David's Trek novels. The "Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink" factor just went up to 11 in this one. I remember thinking some of his books were clever when I was like 18, but now they just seem juvenile and contain connections, plots and in-jokes that I would expect to see in Fan-Fiction, not professional fiction.

langdonboom wrote: View Post

I loved Before Dishonor! Nobody mentions Spock in this thread -- seeing Spock, Seven, the Planet Eater, the callback to PD's earlier Borg novel,
I hated that stuff. "Oooh, this will be cool.. I'll have Spock team up with Geordie and Seven to use the Planet Eater to attack the Borg!" sound like something a ten year old would come up with. Its almost as lame as the plot of Vendetta, which it references.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 08:16 PM   #128
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

^ Same. If they had to increase Spock's size so that he could put a saddle on the Planet Killer and ride it into the fight with the Borg...well, I would not have considered it much of a departure from the rest of the story.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 02:31 AM   #129
Dr. Crusher
Lieutenant Commander

View Dr. Crusher's Twitter Profile

I just finished this novel myself, and I thought it was pretty average. I thought there was a little too much between all of the different characters and points of view, and I thought that the ending didn't make very much sense at all. It had a lot of potential, but it missed the mark.
Dr. Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 12:27 PM   #130
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

j3067 wrote: View Post
If they had to increase Spock's size so that he could put a saddle on the Planet Killer and ride it into the fight with the Borg.
And that's why Dr Keniclius 5 created the giant Spock clone in "The Infinite Vulcan".
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 02:35 PM   #131
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

^Be one with the Horse/Mountain/Planet Killer. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge.
Old December 6 2011, 03:49 PM   #132
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
j3067 wrote: View Post
If they had to increase Spock's size so that he could put a saddle on the Planet Killer and ride it into the fight with the Borg.
And that's why Dr Keniclius 5 created the giant Spock clone in "The Infinite Vulcan".
Giant Spock Clone uses Planet Killers as birth control
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 05:57 PM   #133
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

One could almost make a Dune analogy with Mu'dib conquering the worm, but that might be asking too much of PAD...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 06:54 PM   #134
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

^ Remember that Paul Mau'dib was never as good at riding sand worms as McKenzie Calhoun. The Fremen never saw a more natural rider or respected an outsider like they did Calhoun.
Old December 6 2011, 08:22 PM   #135
captcalhoun
Admiral

damn right.

wait, what?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote