Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old July 3 2011, 11:14 PM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Blurb for What Judgments Come

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Now that clearly says you believe that stories will continue post Storming Heaven on Starbase 47 and the Taurus Reach which from what has been said is clearly not the case.
No, it doesn't "clearly" say anything like that at all. Clearly, I don't know more than most everyone else here. I'm allowed to throw out speculations just like everyone else. You don't have to read them.

As I said, unless they destroy the station and kill everyone, other related adventures could still take place there. Or elsewhere. Presumably some of the characters survive (well, we know Nogura, Terrell and Carol do, for a start).

Okay, any continuation won't be "Vanguard", but it's not necessarily "The End". The characters in "Vanguard" are good, strong, popular characters. Good, strong, popular characters are bound to return. Even dead ones.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:47 PM   #32
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Now that clearly says you believe that stories will continue post Storming Heaven on Starbase 47 and the Taurus Reach which from what has been said is clearly not the case.
No, it doesn't "clearly" say anything like that at all. Clearly, I don't know more than most everyone else here. I'm allowed to throw out speculations just like everyone else. You don't have to read them.

As I said, unless they destroy the station and kill everyone, other related adventures could still take place there. Or elsewhere. Presumably some of the characters survive (well, we know Nogura, Terrell and Carol do, for a start).

Okay, any continuation won't be "Vanguard", but it's not necessarily "The End". The characters in "Vanguard" are good, strong, popular characters. Good, strong, popular characters are bound to return. Even dead ones.
The Art of the Impossible includes a 24th century T'Prynn working with Elias Vaughn out of a Starbase 47.
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:51 PM   #33
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

cal888 wrote: View Post
The Art of the Impossible includes a 24th century T'Prynn working with Elias Vaughn out of a Starbase 47.
Yep!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:55 PM   #34
nickyboy
Fleet Captain

I will be sorry to see it finish, but glad to see it go out on top.

Hopefully these guys will move on to a new trek-lit series of their creation, or David Mack devoting more time to the crew of the Aventine.

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 12:39 AM   #35
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Hopefully there will be no new series for a while. There's already:
  1. Enterprise Relaunch
  2. 5 Year Mission TOS
  3. Other TOS
  4. The Lost Era related stories
  5. TNG Relaunch
  6. DS9 Relaunch
  7. VOY Relaunch
  8. New Frontier
  9. Titan
  10. the 4 "dead" series: Challenger
  11. Stargazer
  12. SCE
  13. and IKS Gorkon,
  14. and the kinda series "Excelsior"
  15. "Aventine"
  16. and "DTI"
It would be good to just focus on those for a while, right?

ETA: Forgot

17. Mirror Universe (ending) and
18. Myriad Universes

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

Last edited by ryan123450; July 4 2011 at 03:14 AM.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 01:48 AM   #36
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Hopefully there will be no new series for a while. There's already:
  1. Enterprise Relaunch
  2. 5 Year Mission TOS
  3. Other TOS
  4. The Lost Era related stories
  5. TNG Relaunch
  6. DS9 Relaunch
  7. VOY Relaunch
  8. New Frontier
  9. Titan
  10. the 4 "dead" series: Challenger
  11. Stargazer
  12. SCE
  13. and IKS Gorkon,
  14. and the kinda series "Excelsior"
  15. "Aventine"
  16. and "DTI"
It would be good to just focus on those for a while, right?
Don't forget the Mirror Universe.

I think Aventine can fit into a where-are-they-now DS9 diaspora, along with Sisko on the Robinson, O'Brien on Cardassia, and Odo in the Gamma Quadrant.
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 01:49 AM   #37
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ Seems like "Rise Like Lions" is essentially finale-ing that, too.

I have the feeling that next year is going to be a real transition period, as (apparently? hopefully?) the DS9 relaunch gets rebooted or restarted or something by DRG3, Vanguard and MU come to an end, and Mack's TNG trilogy shakes things up again. Closing off a lot of things Marco & Margaret's departures left open, and moving to the new editor's stuff.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 06:41 AM   #38
JD
Admiral

I don't about know about Rise Like Lions. All we know is it seems to be the end of the Terran Rebellion and Memory Omega, I don't see why we couldn't get stories about what ever comes about after them.
Old July 4 2011, 01:31 PM   #39
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Guh. I'm glad the story will be told but very disappointed that it's ending so soon. Feels like it could go on for a few more books.

Interesting that New Frontier and Vanguard (both series featuring non-TV main characters) could be/are ending.
Old July 4 2011, 02:21 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Interesting that New Frontier and Vanguard (both series featuring non-TV main characters) could be/are ending.
If so, there's no connection. As Greg has pointed out recently in other threads, there's no top-down master plan at Pocket governing what happens in the books; it's driven by what the authors and editors want to do. Vanguard was always planned to reach a conclusion sooner or later, and the four creators came to a decision that now was the time to begin the endgame. If NF were also coming to an end (and I don't know if that's the case), it would probably be PAD's decision or that of his editor (and I believe the NF books have mostly been edited by Ed Schlesinger), so it'd be totally independent of the Vanguard decision.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 05:15 PM   #41
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I've only recently started to read the Vanguard series. I'd picked up Harbinger on a whim several years back, read it, and didn't find it all that compelling. It sat on the bookcase ever since. Recently, I started to search for some new series to read. I thought about Vanguard again. The fan reaction to the series has been so overwhelmingly positive that I thought I should give it another shot. I re-read Harbinger and enjoyed it much more the second time around. I've just started Summon the Thunder and I already have a copy of Reap the Whirlwind on deck to read next.

News of the series ending makes me sad. However, it's encouraging to know that the series will come to a natural, carefully-planned conclusion rather than just stopping abruptly or fading away without resolving the main story threads. I also can take solace is knowing that I've got several books to go before I reach the end.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 05:30 PM   #42
Jakks
Lieutenant

Well, it sucks to hear Vanguard is ending. But I'm glad its a planned conclusion and not a 'fizzle out' ending.

Still, I've really enjoyed a series with original characters set in the TOS time frame...I hope some one does something similar again one day.

Looking forward to the books that are left.
Old July 4 2011, 06:07 PM   #43
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
If NF were also coming to an end (and I don't know if that's the case), it would probably be PAD's decision or that of his editor (and I believe the NF books have mostly been edited by Ed Schlesinger), so it'd be totally independent of the Vanguard decision.
If it comes to an end with BMB it's certainly not PAD's decision. From his blog (May 21st):

Why possibly last? Because the economy sucks, the publishing industry is slowly disintegrating, and rather than make long term plans, Pocket is making decisions entirely based upon what’s happening right now. So they’re waiting to see what the sales are on this book before deciding on whether there will be any more.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 07:02 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

^Either way, the point is, the decision to end Vanguard is unrelated to that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 07:34 PM   #45
captcalhoun
Admiral

i hope the USS Gloucester gets a good role in the end of Vanguard.

and Dayton, i know i still owe you a pint!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote