Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old June 1 2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

High School Reunions

With the advent of social-networking sites, mostly due to Facebook's popularity, it's easier now more than ever to communicate with friends and family and reconnect with old friends and acquaintance. Now having said that, I've been reconnecting with former classmates, old friends, and distant relatives, some living thousands of miles away across different continents.

There was a point in my life when I was looking forward to attending my next high-school reunion. In fact, there is one being held in the next couple of weeks, i.e., on June 11, 2011. This will be my class's (1991) 20th-year reunion. Yes, I am that old; well, at least I'm a year younger because I skipped a grade.

After having given it much thought, however, I think I'm going to skip it. It would be quite a shame because I've never gone before. There were some people back in high school that I didn't like, and I certainly don't care to see them ever again. Putting animosity aside, I'm also a bit shy and uncomfortable with most social situations in which I don't really know anyone personally. You see, I was quite the loner back then, and I although I got along well with most teachers and classmates, I admit I didn't have too many friends (or close friends) in my teenaged years. There are some other factors, and even if I put aside my doubts and insecurities, I don't think I would enjoy it too much.

I would like to hear people's perspectives on this ... Have you been to a class reunion, and did you enjoy the experience? If you haven't, how do you feel about the prospect of reconnecting with old classmates in the future? Do you still keep in touch?
Old June 1 2011, 03:43 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: High School Reunions

We never had a 5-year reunion, and my 10-year reunion won't be happening until 2013, so I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do. The year after high school was right when Facebook started being popular, so I never really had the opportunity to lose touch with my high school classmates. I even lived with one of my high school friends for my first two years of college, so I remained in touch with even more people through him.

I have a feeling I will probably go to my 10-year reunion when it happens. I think it'll be a lot of fun.
Old June 1 2011, 03:53 AM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I skipped my 10-year-union once I realized I didn't care to see most of them again. The ones I wanted to be in touch with, I already am.
Old June 1 2011, 03:54 AM   #4
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I went to the 5 year, skipped the 10 year, went to the 20 and 25 year reunions. The 20 year was kind of weird since it was the first one after the 4-20-99 shootings. Most of the people I cared about in high school, I still hang out with 28 years later.
Old June 1 2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Kestra
Vice Admiral

My ten year reunion will be this year. I have no interest in going, and I'm not on Facebook either.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 04:07 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I skipped my 10-year-union once I realized I didn't care to see most of them again. The ones I wanted to be in touch with, I already am.
I think for me it's less about keeping in touch and more about getting the chance to interact with a lot of people that I may not have interacted with much when we were retarded teenagers.

I have met up with random people from high school over the last 8 years and have been impressed with how a lot of them have grown up into genuinely good human beings.
Old June 1 2011, 04:10 AM   #7
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Next year I have my 20th reunion for where I did year 11 & 12. Back in 2002, we had a reunion, for 10 years. That was great, as I hadn't seen many people since I left Townsville around late 1996. I had caught up with a few friends beforehand on an Australian social network site (pre-facebook days). But it was great to see many old friends over that weekend. Nothing is planned yet, but I will be making the trip to Townsville, as I've really only seen one person from my year. Want to catch with many old friends, as got in contact again via facebook since I joined.

Also, last year, I had another reunion for 20 years since finished year 10 at Gloucester. It was great to see everyone, as I hadn't seen virtually everyone since I left. Over those 20 years I'd only seen 2 people, and my sister saw an old friend of mine also. I walked in the door, and first thing I heard was "JJ" (my old nickname in high school). Had a great night. I remember hearing, about previous reunions, as virtually no-one knew where I was. I could have been at 15 year one (I did have plans), but was going through some personal problems at the time.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 04:12 AM   #8
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Same. Our 10 year reunion happened in 2009. By then, I was already associating with the people who mattered most to me during my high school years.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2011, 04:17 AM   #9
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

Because of FB, i don't see the need to have a reunion, really. In any case, those i went to high school with that i have any desire to keep in touch with are my friends on FB. And anyway, my 10 year reunion isn't until 2013, anyway, and i probably won't go, because i really have no desire to.
Old June 1 2011, 04:17 AM   #10
RoJoHen
Awesome

ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post
Because of FB, i don't see the need to have a reunion, really.
Because sometimes it's fun to see people in person.
Old June 1 2011, 04:19 AM   #11
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
ShamelessMcBundy wrote: View Post
Because of FB, i don't see the need to have a reunion, really.
Because sometimes it's fun to see people in person.
Meh. Actually i once got a FB friend request from someone that was a complete douche to me in HS. Needless to say, i didn't accept the request.
Old June 1 2011, 04:20 AM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome

Nobody was ever a douche to me in high school.

I actually got along with pretty much everybody.
Old June 1 2011, 04:22 AM   #13
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

To be fair, only a few people were douches to me. Most of them jsut ignored me since i kept to myself and didn't do anything to attract attention. But in any case, i have no desire to see most of the people i went to high school with.
Old June 1 2011, 05:01 AM   #14
Balrog
Commodore

I'm a bit hot and cold on the subject. I went to my 20th. It was alright, not great. Most of the people there were still living in the same small town. I moved out after HS and did a lot of traveling. I went back looking forward to reconnect, see how people had changed. Some had. But I was surprised most had not. Some of the same petty stuff people fought about in HS were still there. I spent more time rehashing the past, which was fine, but ended up being the only thing talked about with some. And then there were the married people who didn't come the reunion with their spouses getting drunk and hooking up with each other. There's nothing worse that almost forty overweight former classmates bumping uglies with each other on the dance floor attempting to recapture their youth. Blech!

But other than that, it was alright...
Old June 1 2011, 05:07 AM   #15
Goji
Rear Admiral

I couldn't be bribed into going to mine, and I have removed the few classmates from high school who have tried to add me on Facebook over the years. To say that I am over that period in my life is a considerable understatement.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote