Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 20 2011, 12:35 AM   #91
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Mission: Impossible (original series)...

Garak wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Bah. Mission: Impossible only got great when Tom Cruise took the helm and actually made it watchable.
The M:I films were crap and I can't stand any of them. Films targeted for someone with severe ADD.
Some people thought slavery was cool too. No big deal.
You came in here just to take a shot at a series where obviously those posting here were fans of the show. That's trolling in my book. You shouldn't be surprised if someone takes offense at that, particularly the original poster. This thread is about the original series and those who liked it and why.
Old July 20 2011, 03:36 AM   #92
Forbin
Admiral

The one where Cinnamon was captured was one of the few that I actually remember from first run. I guess her pain, and calling out "Jim" by his real name, yet being together enough to hold back any more info, even impressed my 10-year-old self.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 03:42 AM   #93
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The M:I films were crap and I can't stand any of them. Films targeted for someone with severe ADD.
Some people thought slavery was cool too. No big deal.
You came in here just to take a shot at a series where obviously those posting here were fans of the show. That's trolling in my book. You shouldn't be surprised if someone takes offense at that, particularly the original poster. This thread is about the original series and those who liked it and why.
But... you're the original poster, referring to yourself in the third person. Why?

Granted, Garak probably could have been more diplomatic about it, but then so could you.

That said, he's just as entitled to express his love of the Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible films as you are to do so re: the original. Not seeing why it's such a big deal.
Old July 20 2011, 04:06 AM   #94
Warped9
Admiral

I think I made my point. The movies had been mentioned before with no fuss from anyone, but no one was taking shots at either the original series (which the thread is about) or the films.

I just thought the remark about the series was uncalled for. The series was the original template, the source materiel which some (including me) feel the films didn't respect. To say the series was essentially worthless until the Cruise films remade the idea was something I found offensive. It's really no different than someone saying Star Trek TOS was worthless until Abrams rebooted it with ST09. Something like that will tick someone off. In this case it was me.
Old July 20 2011, 04:09 AM   #95
Christopher
Writer

Disagreeing about the series vs. the movies is one thing, but that comment the other poster made comparing people who liked the show to people who approved of slavery was beyond the pale.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2011, 06:12 AM   #96
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Christopher wrote: View Post
Disagreeing about the series vs. the movies is one thing, but that comment the other poster made comparing people who liked the show to people who approved of slavery was beyond the pale.
Yeah, in all fairness, if I were going to be offended by anything said in this thread, it would be that.

But then, I liked the original TV series and the films, and I tend not to let what other people like detract from what I myself enjoy, so I'm probably not the person to go to on this.
Old July 21 2011, 04:01 AM   #97
Christopher
Writer

I just watched "The Freeze," where they trick Donnelly Rhodes into thinking he's been cryogenically frozen and reawakened in the fabulous future world of 1980. The fake future included what looked uncannily like a modern flatscreen TV, complete with video cartridges. But the laugh-out-loud moment was when Dr. Rollin told Nurse Cinnamon to administer "5 ccs of cordrazine."

Old July 21 2011, 04:13 AM   #98
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The old show was a little too formulaic for me but my love of Peter Graves would get me through it if I had to watch. I loved the first Tom Cruise movie but the ones after left me shrugging.
Old July 21 2011, 04:50 AM   #99
Warped9
Admiral

I just watched "The Freeze," where they trick Donnelly Rhodes into thinking he's been cryogenically frozen and reawakened in the fabulous future world of 1980. The fake future included what looked uncannily like a modern flatscreen TV, complete with video cartridges. But the laugh-out-loud moment was when Dr. Rollin told Nurse Cinnamon to administer "5 ccs of cordrazine."
This is one of the few episodes that I have clearer memories of from all those years ago. The "futuristic" cars of 1980 kill me since they looked more like the '50's era of what folks thought future cars might look like.
Old July 21 2011, 08:41 AM   #100
nightwind1
Commodore

I liked the episode where they went to the foreign country with the badly spelled signs and tricked some guy using sets and masks.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2011, 01:43 PM   #101
Forbin
Admiral

This is one of the few episodes that I have clearer memories of from all those years ago. The "futuristic" cars of 1980 kill me since they looked more like the '50's era of what folks thought future cars might look like.
I LOVED those cars!!! I'm so disappointed we ended up with SUVs instead!
Old July 21 2011, 01:47 PM   #102
Forbin
Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
I liked the episode where they went to the foreign country with the badly spelled signs and tricked some guy using sets and masks.
That WAS a good one!

yeah, that's another point - were any of those "Eastern European" signs actual words in any language? It seemed to me they'd just take English words and substitute Zs for Ss and throw some odd accent marks over some letters, so the audience could still read them.
Old July 21 2011, 01:50 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
yeah, that's another point - were any of those "Eastern European" signs actual words in any language? It seemed to me they'd just take English words and substitute Zs for Ss and throw some odd accent marks over some letters, so the audience could still read them.
Yes, exactly. It was called "Gellerese" after the show's creator/executive producer Bruce Geller. After all, they not only had to keep the signs legible for the audience, they had to avoid connecting these fictional countries with any real nationality.

However, when they did episodes set in Latin America or Francophone Africa, they did use real Spanish and French signage.

Old July 21 2011, 05:58 PM   #104
Forbin
Admiral

I did not know that!
Old July 21 2011, 07:22 PM   #105
Christopher
Writer

And at the border crossing in "The Exchange," there's a sign that seems to be in genuine Russian, German, and French as well as English. I guess they could do that because there was English included so it was comprehensible, and because the multilingualism left it unspecific about what country they were in (though it was implicitly Germany -- they tended to use "Eastern Zone" and "Western Zone" in episodes that were supposed to be in East/West Germany).

The issue of languages is one of the tricky conceits of M:I. Do we choose to believe that these agents actually were fluent in every language on Earth, or that the inhabitants of every foreign country actually spoke in accented English? Although of course the problem here is nothing compared to that in science fiction shows.