Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 12 2011, 03:29 PM   #76
Christopher
Writer

Re: Mission: Impossible (original series)...

^I've already done that with seasons 1 & 2 on my blog (well, originally on the Ex Isle BBS, but then reposted) and I'm starting work on season 3 reviews now, time permitting.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2011, 10:07 PM   #77
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I have been watching a lot of MI lately. It is some great if somewhat formulaic fun.
Old July 16 2011, 01:22 AM   #78
Warped9
Admiral

I've just finished watching all of Season 1. It was a good run. Not all of the episodes were winners, but I didn't find any of them actually bad. The disappointing ones were just okay as if they were going through the motions.

So it's a case of none of it being outright bad, but about 38% being somewhat disappointing.

Decent:
"Pilot"
"Memory"
"Operation Rogosh"
"Old Man Out"
"Odds on Evil"
"A Spool There Was"
"The Carriers"
"The Short Tail Spy"
"The Legacy"
"The Reluctant Dragon"
"The Trial"
"The Confession"
"The Train"
"Shock"
"A Cube of Sugar"
"The Traitor"
"The Psychic"

Just Okay:
"Wheels"
"The Ransom"
"Zubrovnik's Ghost"
"Fakeout"
"Elena"
"The Frame"
"Action!"
"The Diamond"
"The Legend"
"Snowball in Hell"
Old July 17 2011, 04:01 AM   #79
Warped9
Admiral

I had started getting into classic M:I with Season 2 then jumped back to get through Season 1. Now I'm into Season 3.

"The Contender" wasn't bad, but I had a hard time believing Barney's makeup could take the pounding of being in the boxing ring. "The Mercenaries" was also decent, but Barney's gimmick to melt gold bars and drain it out of a vault just doesn't seem at all believable. It isn't just the matter of his apparatus getting hot enough---and, yes, the vault was small and an enclosed space possibly with no real ventilation---but wouldn't the air itself within the vault have dissipated the heat from his heating elements? I just don't find it credible that his small mechanism could have generated sufficient heat to have melted all that gold.
Old July 17 2011, 04:20 AM   #80
Christopher
Writer

Warped9 wrote: View Post
"The Contender" wasn't bad, but I had a hard time believing Barney's makeup could take the pounding of being in the boxing ring.
I also noticed that in my recent review. Given that it seemed to take several weeks to train Barney, why didn't he just grow a real moustache?

"The Mercenaries" was also decent, but Barney's gimmick to melt gold bars and drain it out of a vault just doesn't seem at all believable. It isn't just the matter of his apparatus getting hot enough---and, yes, the vault was small and an enclosed space possibly with no real ventilation---but wouldn't the air itself within the vault have dissipated the heat from his heating elements? I just don't find it credible that his small mechanism could have generated sufficient heat to have melted all that gold.
I don't get your problem about the air. There's air in an oven, but that doesn't interfere with cooking the food. On the contrary, the presence of air actually helps transmit heat through conduction and convection. Okay, maybe it's a bit unlikely that the device could've gotten the temperature up to the necessary 1064 degrees Celsius to melt gold, but it's no worse poetic license than the stuff they routinely do with masks. And it's a very clever and unexpected idea for a heist story. I liked it.

Old July 17 2011, 04:30 AM   #81
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the gimmick, but I wasn't sure whether such a setup could actually work. I know gold is a soft metal so it's just (remotely) within the realm of possibility.

I read some of your blog reviews. I, too, often try to keep an eye out for Star Trek tie-ins, most particularly the guest actors.
Old July 17 2011, 02:54 PM   #82
Forbin
Admiral

^Personally, I think the melted gold would have coated the floor with a thin layer that never would have fully drained.

But suspension of disbelief is VERY important in this show!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2011, 03:37 PM   #83
Warped9
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
^Personally, I think the melted gold would have coated the floor with a thin layer that never would have fully drained.

But suspension of disbelief is VERY important in this show!
Well it didn't completely drain so that's why the device then spun out grey paint that covered the remaining gold film on the floor and walls. Mind you it's nice that they had the exact same colour of paint and that it did a perfect job.
Old July 17 2011, 05:22 PM   #84
Christopher
Writer

I figured it was plaster rather than paint.

Old July 17 2011, 06:39 PM   #85
Warped9
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I figured it was plaster rather than paint.
You could be right. I wasn't sure what it was other than it did a good job and dried quickly enough.
Old July 17 2011, 10:08 PM   #86
Forbin
Admiral

Ah! I'd forgotten that bit!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2011, 08:57 PM   #87
Warped9
Admiral

I've just watched S3's "The Exchange" where Cinnamon gets caught by "the other side" and gets interrogated. I found this one particularly enjoyable. I liked how in counterpoint to her always coming across as so classy we finally get to see that she's also tough in her own right. And yet she doesn't perform any of the "action girl" stunts of today. Even when she imagined she could here Jim Phelps familiar voice something in her still refused to give in.

The biggest issue I had with this one was at the end when they finally exchange for her. I thought it was kind of a ridiculous move to have the entire IM force out in the open where anyone with a camera (or a good eye and memory) could see all of them and later start trying to put names to faces.

I like all the characters in each their own way. I really like Barney, but Martin Landau steals the show so often as Rollin Hand. His impersonations kill me every time.
Old July 19 2011, 09:29 PM   #88
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Bah. Mission: Impossible only got great when Tom Cruise took the helm and actually made it watchable.

Before Tom Cruise lent his talents to this franchise, it was Mission:Try to Last Through Another Awful Episode.

The new trailer for Tom Cruise's newest MI installment looks to be quite stellar. No surprise there as Tom Cruise is in the business of making stellar movies.

If only Tom Cruise would make this a series on television like its unecessary and boring predecessor was, then we'd get to see Tom Cruise every week, and I think that's a good thing. Tom Cruise bringing intrigue and excitement into our homes, week after week, like only Tom Cruise can. Imagine that.

Tom Cruise.
Old July 19 2011, 11:20 PM   #89
Warped9
Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
Bah. Mission: Impossible only got great when Tom Cruise took the helm and actually made it watchable.
The M:I films were crap and I can't stand any of them. Films targeted for someone with severe ADD.
Old July 19 2011, 11:25 PM   #90
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
The M:I films were crap and I can't stand any of them. Films targeted for someone with severe ADD.
Some people thought slavery was cool too. No big deal.