Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 2 2011, 01:35 PM   #16
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Mission: Impossible (original series)...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Today it seems as if the heroes' "plan" has to be explained for the audience to be in on it and understand when things go wrong. Yet here in M:I we only got some vague idea of what they wanted to do and had to follow it along.
It has nothing to do with "today". At the time, the heroes' plan had to be explained for the audience just as much as it does today. Mission: Impossible was and still is the exception to that rule, because leaving the audience in the dark was part of its premise.
Old July 2 2011, 03:18 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

CaptMurdock wrote: View Post
I'm working my way through Season 1 on Netflix; this season was rarely in syndication so I'm not as familiar with these episodes. They are not nearly as formulaic as those of later seasons: besides "Elena" and "A Spool There Was," mentioned upthread, "Zubrovnik's Ghost" actually had a touch of the supernatural.
Ohh, I loathed that episode. It was totally incoherent. They set up what promised to be an interesting twist on the format: instead of the IMF team pulling a scam on the bad guys, it was the bad guys who were pulling a scam and the IMF team whose job was to figure it out and expose it. But then the whole thing degenerated into a jumble of supernatural events, so that the story threads they'd set up (including the bit where Dan deliberately and inexplicably deceived his team into believing their fake-psychic teammate-of-the-week was genuine) were abandoned without resolution.

scotpens wrote: View Post
One thing I had almost forgot: how smoking hot Barbara Bain was in those days. Hubba!
Frankly, I never found her all that appealing. I thought she was pretty in the same way a department-store mannequin is pretty. YMMV.
It wasn't so much the way she looked as the way she used what she had. She could be a very effective vamp, very seductive and enticing in the way she spoke and moved and acted. The pilot is the finest example of this; it got a bit racier than the series tended to be later on.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Two generations of Morris men did the show

GrandFather

Greg Morris from "Mission Impossible"

Son of Greg Morris

Phil Morris's(Martian Manhunter)

If there were a new series Jamil should be considered to complete the trifecta.

Looks alot like his grandfather too
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 06:00 PM   #19
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I guess we can still cling to some hope that the Jim Phelps in the first movie is somebody else wearing a Phelps mask.
Well, he didn't even look like Phelps, so a mask isn't necessary for that explanation.

The IMF in the TV series was apparently independent of all other agencies. In the movies, it's part of the CIA. I'd speculate that the IMF was absorbed by the CIA, some time after the TV revival. Jim Phelps, unsatisfied with this arrangement, went into retirement. Believing Phelps' involvement to be important to the IMF for psychological reasons, the CIA put one of their own agents in place as Phelps. The stress of his double life got to him hence his inevitable descent into paranoia and megalomania.

Towards the end he actually believed he was Phelps. Poor guy.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 06:38 PM   #20
Forbin
Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
I'm working my way through Season 1 on Netflix; this season was rarely in syndication so I'm not as familiar with these episodes. They are not nearly as formulaic as those of later seasons: besides "Elena" and "A Spool There Was," mentioned upthread, "Zubrovnik's Ghost" actually had a touch of the supernatural.

One thing I had almost forgot: how smoking hot Barbara Bain was in those days. Hubba!
Suprised her nicotine stains aren't visible becasuse she was also a very heavy smoker at the time (though she did also do anti-cancer ads, the filming of one made her late or something which lead to her being sacked from the series).
You can very much see that her teeth are yellow, distracting somewhat from her otherwise porcelain-doll beauty.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 06:46 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

I've watched the whole series all the way thru over the last couple of years (every Sunday over lunch). So many great memories, so many hot female guest stars (I'd forgotten how gorgeous the afor-mentioned Mary Anne Mobely was in her day!), so many Trek alumni.

It's interesting that they never once use a real country as the bad guys. It was always "a Latin American Dictatorship" or "an Eastern Bloc Country," often with a made up name, sometimes without.

My high school super-8 version (never filmed) featured the following opening scene:
"Good morning Mr. Phelps. Your mission, whether you accept it or not, is..." Then after the brief: "This tape will self destruct in one second." Phelps has time for a double take before the massive explosion.
Old July 2 2011, 08:47 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

GrandFather

Son of Greg Morris

Yes, Phil Morris appeared in the '88 revival as Grant Collier, the son of Barney Collier. Greg Morris returned as Barney in 2-3 episodes of the revival.

If there were a new series Jamil should be considered to complete the trifecta.

Hasn't IMDb fixed its page on Jamil Walker-Smith yet? He is not Phil Morris's son. There is no relation at all. I've seen JWS debunk that himself on video.

Forbin wrote: View Post
I've watched the whole series all the way thru over the last couple of years (every Sunday over lunch). So many great memories, so many hot female guest stars (I'd forgotten how gorgeous the afor-mentioned Mary Anne Mobely was in her day!), so many Trek alumni.
Yeah, she was stunning.

It's interesting that they never once use a real country as the bad guys. It was always "a Latin American Dictatorship" or "an Eastern Bloc Country," often with a made up name, sometimes without.
Yup, they didn't want to offend anybody or do anything politically controversial. Although early on, they did use real countries once or twice. In the second episode, "Memory," the villain was called "the Butcher of the Balkans," and a list of spies in Eastern Europe listed real country names (in their native languages).

Old July 2 2011, 11:13 PM   #23
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hasn't IMDb fixed its page on Jamil Walker-Smith yet? He is not Phil Morris's son. There is no relation at all. I've seen JWS debunk that himself on video.
Most sites stick with Jamil as his son. I think in the video he was joking.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 12:47 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

^Most sites just copy what IMDb says without bothering to check their facts, because most of the Internet is shamefully ignorant of the most basic principles of editorial quality control. IMDb itself is fraught with mistakes and is far from an ironclad source. Walker-Smith was obviously not joking and obviously irritated by the misconception.

Old July 3 2011, 05:27 PM   #25
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

GrandFather

Son of Greg Morris

Yes, Phil Morris appeared in the '88 revival as Grant Collier, the son of Barney Collier. Greg Morris returned as Barney in 2-3 episodes of the revival.
Originally, Phil Morris was cast to play Barney Collier for the revival, which was initially conceived as a straight-forward remake. Same with the rest of the cast, i.e Thaao Penghlis as Rollin Hand and Terry Markwell as Cinnamon Carter. The only one from the original to be in this remake was Peter Graves as Jim Phelps.

In fact, the first handful of episodes, such as "The Legacy", were the same scripts from the 60s series but rewritten slightly. This was ABC's solution to get around the 1988 Writer's Guild Strike, much in the same way TNG used the Phase II script "The Child" for season two.

But the strike ended and it was decided that the series should be a sequel to the original. The first episode, "The Killer," a season 5 script from the 60s show, was rewritten to change the names and add Phelps coming out of retirement and helping former members of his team, such as Lisa Casey (Lynda Day George).

So Rollin Hand becomes Nicholas Black. Cinnamon becomes Casey Randall. Barney Collier becomes his son Grant. And so forth.

Source: "The Complete Mission Impossible Dossier."

(which is an excellent book and includes some nice tidbits, including an interview with Robert Justman, who was the associate producer on the pilot.)

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I remember when the first Tom Cruise remake came out. At the time I felt they missed the boat completely. They made the Jim Phelps character a traitor? Then it's a lot of over-the-top action and overdone explosions. I didn't bother with any of the sequels.
The movies are nothing like one another. Despite the shared title and lead character (or two, Cruise and Rhames), each movie is very much characteristic of its own director's distinctive style. The first is a Brian DePalma spy thriller full of deceit and intrigue, the second is a John Woo spy thriller full of over-the-top action, and the third is a J.J. Abrams spy thriller that's basically Alias, a mix of larger-than-life, sexy spy action and reasonably engaging character drama. So you can't really use any one of the films as a precedent for judging the others. M:I:III is definitely the best of the three (or rather, the only good one), and the most faithful by far to the original, though mostly in the first half.
While I enjoyed the first and third M:I movies, and secretly like the second, the movies really aren't M:I. A movie that is more akin to the original "Mission: Impossible" is the 2001 remake of "Ocean's Eleven", which was a big con much as the original "Mission" was conceived as.

In fact, the Clooney movie hits much the same beats as an episode of the 60s show. There's the mission (break into three vaults if you choose to accept it), dossier scene of sorts with the gathering of the operatives (or cons), the mission briefing (in the hotel room) where the plan is revealed, the methodical putting it together, then the actual mission which doesn't go according to plan and the team has to improvise.

It is very similar to the pilot of "Mission: Impossible" when you think about it.

Last edited by Ryan Thomas Riddle; July 4 2011 at 08:07 AM.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 05:54 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

middyseafort wrote: View Post
While I enjoyed the first and third M:I movies, and secretly like the second, the movies really aren't M:I. A movie that is more akin to the original "Mission: Impossible" is the 2001 remake of "Ocean's Eleven", which was a big con much as the original "Mission" was conceived as.
Yup. M:I was basically modelled on the heist picture Topkapi. It was essentially a series about a team of con artists pulling scams, but to make them heroic, they were presented as government operatives targeting enemies of the United States. The M:I movies are more generic spy-thriller films, having little in common with the show beyond the name. Although the Vatican caper in M:I:III was pretty close to the sort of thing they'd do on the show.

I've heard that the current series Leverage is a lot like M:I, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Old July 3 2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have never seen the original M:I TV series (I did catch a bit of the late 80's sequel though)
If you've never seen the original series, and only "a bit" of the sequel series, how can you possibly have such an attachment to Jim Phelps to gripe about him being the bad guy in the movie? That's like someone raging about Kirk's portrayal in Star Trek '09 and saying it's not true to the character ... and doing so without ever having seen the original series or any of the other movies.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 06:03 PM   #28
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I loved this show as a kid. It was a Tuesday evening treat to stay up and watch it. Naturally I hadn't a clue what the hell was happening, but that didn't matter! Still enjoy the show and had a bit of a watching marathon a few years back. My favourite episode is there one where Cinamon is kidnapped or captured and Jim has to work out how to rescue her on the hoof.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 10:24 PM   #29
the G-man
Commodore

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
I'm astounded by the fact that this and Star Trek were being put together at the same time by a very minor studio, probably the two most visually arresting and technically complex shows being made at that time. It must have been a creative powerhouse at Desilu on Solow's watch.
Over the years I've read enough about Desi Arnez to realize that the man was a television genius. It would stand to reason that a company he started would continue to be innovative.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2011, 11:48 PM   #30
Forbin
Admiral

An interesting experience was to watch (for the first time) an episode of Alias over lunch every Saturday, and one (for the first time in 40 years) of M:I Sunday.