Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 24 2012, 10:21 PM   #211
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

Re: Ray's TAS shuttlecraft...

Your shuttle is turning out fantastic. I really love the way it is turning out. Great work.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 04:58 AM   #212
Warped9
Admiral

Initially I wanted to wait until I was a bit further along, but I found myself rather liking this and wanted to share. I think this is actually beginning to come together.

Ya know, I can almost hear the music.

Since I've scaled this with the Class F shuttlecraft I find myself wondering about seeing this on the Enterprise's flight deck. I'm getting some vague idea of making myself a 3D hangar deck. I must be nuts...

Last edited by Warped9; March 25 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 12:26 PM   #213
Bernard Guignard
Captain

Wow she looks fantastic I think I'm going to have to look at sketch up a bit more closely
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trekno...yguid=89237652
Bernard Guignard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 12:34 PM   #214
Warped9
Admiral

And the model hasn't been rendered or painted yet.
Old March 25 2012, 06:51 PM   #215
Warped9
Admiral

Getting there, folks. Aft landing strut and antigrav stabilizer in place. Now for the forward landing strut.

Old March 26 2012, 12:17 AM   #216
Warped9
Admiral

Almost there. Some small details and then I can think of texturing, painting and rendering.

I did reams of sketches when trying to adapt the TAS design into something more credible to fit within the TOS "reality." And while I liked how the schematics came out I did wonder how they might translate into 3D. Drawings sketches and an actual model with precise dimensions and accurate perspective and shadowing aren't the same thing. I'm gratified that it seems to be working out. The only serious change I had to make from the schematics were to soften the edges a bit more by increasing the radius on those edges. Otherwise the design looked a bit too boxy for my liking whereas now it looks somewhat less simplistic and toy like. And while the design is apparently stubbier and sports some curvature that departs from the TAS image when seen at certain angles with forced perspective I think it does evoke the original design. The TAS depiction of the Enterprise was a stylized and simpler version of the ship as seen on TOS. So I guess it works that you can reverse that approach to render a more credible version of a simple TAS design.

Before I mirror this I'm going to fashion something of a rudimentary interior. It will not only give an idea of what I have in mind in terms of the interior layout, but also make the model look a little more complete given that something can be seen through the darkened viewport albeit barely.

I've also got to do some more reading and tutorial videos before I proceed with painting and rendering. I'd also love to know if I could do some animations with this as well as Photshop images.

Last edited by Warped9; March 26 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old March 26 2012, 03:13 PM   #217
The Axeman
Commodore

If you can save the model in .3ds, .obj, .lwo or .DXF format then I can knock out some renders and animations for you. What package are you using for this?
Old March 27 2012, 02:22 AM   #218
Warped9
Admiral

The Axeman wrote: View Post
If you can save the model in .3ds, .obj, .lwo or .DXF format then I can knock out some renders and animations for you. What package are you using for this?
I'm currently using Sketchup (the latest free version) and so to export in the formats you mention I'd need to upgrade to Sketchup Pro or perhaps start all over again with another program such as Blender. Still, even as is I should be able to make my own renders with a 2nd party program (I've installed one called Maxwell) and that should allow me to do some photomanips for some Never seen TOS scenes.

Some preliminary mirroring trials.

I must say there is one thing I'm not happy with yet there's nothing I can really do about it at this point, simply because it would involve changing too many things. I think the main hull is too wide. It should be about ten percent more narrow and the upper section (the forward part being the main viewport) should be angled in a bit more on the sides. It's a nitpick at this point but there it is. One day I'll come back to this design and remake it and then I can fix what I don't like, but for now I'm going to follow it through the rest of the way.

Last edited by Warped9; March 27 2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old March 27 2012, 09:21 AM   #219
The Axeman
Commodore

Converting a Sketchup model is no problem. I have the time limited demo of Sketchup Pro already installed on my machine at home. It allows me to convert Sketchup models to formats I can use, and as it takes only a couple of minutes of the 8 hour time limit I calculate I can probably convert 240 models before I need to reinstall.

I have a number of TAS shuttles and conjectural TOS models on my website for people to download. If you're up for it I'd love to host this model as well, so that others could use it for their animations and pictures. It's always nice to see people using the designs and models we come up with in their own fantastic pictures and animations.
Old March 27 2012, 08:45 PM   #220
Sarvek
Fleet Captain

OMG, you are fantastic. The shuttle looks fantastic and rendered quite well. I can not wait to see the signage and nomenclature added. Once again, fantastic work.
Sarvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2012, 08:58 PM   #221
Warped9
Admiral

I must say that I do quite like the look of it particularly from certain angles. Even more so with shadowing it to give more realistic form and presence.

When I was scaling it I used the TOS Class F design as a benchmark of sorts in terms of scale. In that regard I was trying to get the cabin width to be roughly similar as well as maintain some space between the cabin inner bulkhead and the outer hull for mechanical guts. Now I see that with the bulges on the lower sides I don't need quite as much space as I allowed between hulls and the cabin can be a bit more narrow than the Class F design.

It has to be said that the TAS onscreen version was ridiculously long and narrow, so my version wasn't going to be exactly the same. But I think I can afford to narrow it in the middle section without touching the rest of the design and it will look better, though still not as narrow looking as the TAS version.

Part of it may also be a matter of getting used to it. We'll see.
Old March 27 2012, 10:17 PM   #222
sojourner
Admiral

It would be fairly easy to narrow that. Take half the model and use the push/pull tool on the flat face of the bi-section.
Old March 27 2012, 10:46 PM   #223
Warped9
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It would be fairly easy to narrow that. Take half the model and use the push/pull tool on the flat face of the bi-section.
I'm not sure it's that simple. There are no true flat surfaces *well maybe one or two small ones) as all the large surfaces are compound curves and those are connected to edges and corners that are rounded.
Old March 28 2012, 12:50 AM   #224
cbp44189
Commander

I love it. It's looking awesome.
cbp44189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #225
Warped9
Admiral

Thanks. I'm learning a lot with this. Although it mightn't be apparent to some there are things I've learned to do and not to do in future projects.

As for this design itself I definitely want to make the middle of the main hull section a bit narrower and I'm not satisfied with the aft access hatch. I will one day redesign that. But I rather like the rest of it overall.