To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 16 17.39%
Above Average 26 28.26%
Average 24 26.09%
Below Average 9 9.78%
Poor 17 18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 2 2011, 06:50 AM   #91
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

So wait, that was supposed to be an improvement?!? I frankly thought it was almost as bad as the LAST one.

The story was still a jumbled mess, the humor was possibly even MORE awful and insulting, and the action (despite a few cool bits here and there) was about as random and lifeless and nonsensical as before too.

And pretty much every character in this was annoying as hell. I've always liked Shia before, but here he just came across like a seriously annoying asshole for some reason.

And I just... don't know what to make of what they did with Optimus. He sits by and lets the Decepticons take over (killing possibly thousands of people in the process).... all so he could teach the humans a lesson?? WTF.

I know we're not supposed to take these movies TOO seriously, but come on. Compared to the last two shitfests, the first one is almost starting to look like an elegant, beautifully-written work of art now.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 07:22 AM   #92
captcalhoun
Admiral

Starbrow wrote: View Post
Another thing - its seemed like noone really cared about the civilliance traped in that city occupied by the Decepticons.
probabkly because they were more worried about, you know, saving the world and not getting killed in the process...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 08:04 AM   #93
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Just got back from this and well, it's not bad. I give it above average, but barely. The first half of the movie is just stupid jokes within a very serious setting. I have to say, I would have rather Megan Fox than the other girl. Not that it really matters. The plot is non existent and really fucking stupid. The government intervention is retarded. Megatron wearing a hood is stupid. I would have liked to see Megatron more, I really love hearing Hugo Weaving's voice. Sentinel Prime was cool, but if really made no sense for him to betray the Autobots. Shockwave was cool, but only had one line. Laserbeak was really cool. The rest of the bots were nameless and practically faceless. Oh yeah, they killed Ironhide, not cool. Despite all of this, I thought it was ok, a lot better than the second one, but the first one is still my favorite. The one disappointing thing was I really didn't feel like there was any real closure other than all the Decepticons dying. Oh, not so much shaky cam either. I say Optimus is the only real design I truly love about these movies so, bring on the reboot.

Last edited by Hell Billy Rage; July 2 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 08:19 AM   #94
inflatabledalek
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
And I just... don't know what to make of what they did with Optimus. He sits by and lets the Decepticons take over (killing possibly thousands of people in the process).... all so he could teach the humans a lesson?? WTF.
A friend of mine had the same complaint, and I really don't get it. Yes, Prime noted the object lesson, but the real main purpose in the shuttle deception was clearly to give them an element of surprise in the final attack, pretty much the one and only advantage they had.

What happened in Chicago would have happened no matter what, the Decepticons had the superior numbers and defying the order to leave outright would have had the government set the US army against the Autobots, something that would have both forced them into combat with humans and wasted time. They'd have never been able to sneak into the City and save the day if they hadn't been thought dead. As a strategy it made perfect sense, the only bit that was perhaps a bit unfair of Prime is him playing his role up to the hilt for Sam, shame there wasn't a line covering him having spotted/worked out the watch.

Megatron'ds Master Plan, the cartoon story the whole shuttle/evil rich man siding with the Decepticons sub plots are taken from is generally terrible and deals with the idea in a far sillier way. Prime genuinely agreeing to leave Earth to the Decepticons and going in a ship they built without expecting it to blow up being especially bad.
Old July 2 2011, 08:27 AM   #95
Zion Ravescene
is doing this now

Not seen it yet (I didn't bother with the second one although I did see the first one) but this impression of the movie from everyone's favourite movie critic fills me with a sense of foreboding:

Here's the audio of the actual review. Boy, he's angry:

"Cluster-fruitcake"

Maybe I should wait until it's shown on TV...

Zion Ravescene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 08:33 AM   #96
Checkmate
Commodore

More random "action" scenes. More annoying robots (but hey, no bouncing metal balls this time at least). More what-the-fuck storytelling. More of the not-being-able-to-tell-who-is-fucking-who. More not-understanding-a-word-they-fucking say. More completely forgettable movie-going experiences.

More is definitely less.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 11:42 AM   #97
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

You were wrong to hate Transformers 2.
Old July 2 2011, 12:02 PM   #98
MNM
Captain

I thought the film was awesome. Better than the second and possibly better than the first.

One armed Optimus kicking ass at the end was very cool.

In fact the only real problem I had was Carly. For a couple of reasons. One I didnt think she was any good in terms of acting. Now I know Megan Fox is hardly an Oscar worthy actress, but I thought she was better. And the second part of that, the flashback secenes kind of implied that Sam and Michaela broke up nearly right after the 2nd movie, which I thought was a bit strange considering the events of it.

But never mind. I may very well go see this again in the cinema.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 12:34 PM   #99
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Transformers 3: Can a fan of G1 enjoy this movie?

ok, so i hated the first one.

the second one was appealing after i saw the trailer where it looked like the constructicons were about to merge and then it turned into some big, ape like thing. even worse than the first movie.

does the third one give at least a slight hint to G1?
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 12:41 PM   #100
MNM
Captain

Re: Transformers 3: Can a fan of G1 enjoy this movie?

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
Not really. No more so than the previous two anyway. Any influences from the cartoons come from the later series.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 01:00 PM   #101
Jono
Rear Admiral

Of course they can. I'm a fan of the G1 cartoon and I've enjoyed the movies for the most part.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 01:05 PM   #102
Whofan
Fleet Captain

There are references to G1 throughout all three films-and the lineup of Autobots and Decepticons is pretty much the same as the 1984-1986 band of Transformers (With some exceptions like Arcee). The new film recalls a plot from the original series where

Also Soundwave, who basically appeared for a few seconds in the last film, is given a bit more to do here (As well as a different alt mode). However, in both films Michael Bay did not process the voice, so even though it's still Frank Welker, he sounds more like Dr. Claw than G1 soundwave. Another of Megatron's main minions, Shockwave (The big purple guy) also plays a part, but a smaller one than advertised.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 01:34 PM   #103
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

MNM wrote: View Post
ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
Not really. No more so than the previous two anyway. Any influences from the cartoons come from the later series.
I heard a lot more namechecks and plot ideas from the orignal cartoon series in this one that the first three.

Old July 2 2011, 03:22 PM   #104
BDJ
Lieutenant Commander

OH for gosh sakes! It's a Transformers movie. A fun movie to boot! The ONLY movies your gonna get featuring these 40 foot robots and their talents for blowing things up. IF you didn't like the first two you won't like this one. If you can open your mind and allow yourself to enjoy these films for the popcorn flicks they are then you're gonna be way ahead of the game. I certainly feel I've gotten my money's worth from them. Don't let Bay-bashers and a strict love for the cartoon series keep you from enjoying these movies. NO film adaptation is 100 faithful to the source material.
BDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2011, 03:39 PM   #105
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

In answer to your original question, can a fan of G1 enjoy the movie? Absolutely.

Can you enjoy it if you hated the first two...not so much.