Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie
Excellent 16 17.39%
Above Average 26 28.26%
Average 24 26.09%
Below Average 9 9.78%
Poor 17 18.48%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7 2011, 10:32 PM   #271
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Transformers: Dark of the Moon - Discuss, Grading, Reviews (SPOILE

^^^^^^I feel that way about Ken Jeong

I've never had a problem with Jeong before (and even found him ok in the otherwise dreadful Hangover II), but in this movie it just felt like he was trying TOO hard to be weird and quirky. He almost came across like a manic nutcase at times.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2011, 11:20 PM   #272
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
-They should have processed Frank Welker's voice. Soundwave without the musical registers and processing just sounded like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget.
I have to disagree with this. I prefer Welker's raw badass Soundwave voice to the vocoder. Yes, it sounds like Dr. Claw, and you sometimes expect him to say, "I'll get you next time, Prime... next tiiiiiime," or, "Decepticons, eliminate Prime!" but it's still awesome.
Old July 8 2011, 12:32 AM   #273
Dream
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

I've never had a problem with Jeong before (and even found him ok in the otherwise dreadful Hangover II), but in this movie it just felt like he was trying TOO hard to be weird and quirky. He almost came across like a manic nutcase at times.
I think the real problem was that the Ken Jeong character felt like a character from ROTF. Too much toilet humor that went on for too long. Cut out nearly all of it and it would have been better. Did we need to see him stalking Sam for several minutes or that scene with him taking off his pants while Sam was sitting on the toilet?
Old July 8 2011, 12:48 AM   #274
davejames
Vice Admiral

People complain about the Bumblebee "peeing" scene from the first movie, but that almost seems cute and innocent now compared to some of the really bizarre, juvenile, and sexist stuff they put in the sequels.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 12:56 AM   #275
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The stupidity of basing a movie's success on "expected" performance instead of actual performance astounds me. It made "$29 million less than expected????" It MADE $182 million in the USA alone in 7 days!!! How fucking stupid are the industry and investors?

RAMA
Old July 8 2011, 01:19 AM   #276
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^^
I agree RAMA.
When I'm at the BOM forums you hear that plenty. Forms of,"It was expected to do...." Fine I get expectations but when a film still banks plenty don't act like the reality is actually bad.

Dream wrote: View Post

I think the real problem was that the Ken Jeong character felt like a character from ROTF. Too much toilet humor that went on for too long. Cut out nearly all of it and it would have been better. Did we need to see him stalking Sam for several minutes or that scene with him taking off his pants while Sam was sitting on the toilet?
The other thing about his character was that cause he was so annoying and loonie there was no connection to his death. He died, move on. I mean crap I felt worse for the innocents in Chicago shown getting popped than Jeong's character. When he was gone I actually was glad.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 01:50 AM   #277
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
People complain about the Bumblebee "peeing" scene from the first movie, but that almost seems cute and innocent now compared to some of the really bizarre, juvenile, and sexist stuff they put in the sequels.
This movie wasn't as bad as 2 which several scenes of dogs humping one another.
Old July 8 2011, 03:27 AM   #278
davejames
Vice Admiral

The other thing about his character was that cause he was so annoying and loonie there was no connection to his death. He died, move on. I mean crap I felt worse for the innocents in Chicago shown getting popped than Jeong's character. When he was gone I actually was glad.
It didn't help that the death was played for laughs. That to me was a prime example of just how far off track these movies went. Even in a Transformers movie, there has to be some level of believability and credibility, and it felt to me like there was less and less of that as time went on.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2011, 06:58 AM   #279
inflatabledalek
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
-They should have processed Frank Welker's voice. Soundwave without the musical registers and processing just sounded like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget.
I have to disagree with this. I prefer Welker's raw badass Soundwave voice to the vocoder. Yes, it sounds like Dr. Claw, and you sometimes expect him to say, "I'll get you next time, Prime... next tiiiiiime," or, "Decepticons, eliminate Prime!" but it's still awesome.
I don't mind the unprocessed voice, but it did strike me as odd that the only reason Welker was cast was to appease mad G1ers but they didn't put on the effect that's the real thing everyone remembers about the original voice.

One thing I will say about the original cartoon despite all it's easy to pick apart flaws when seen through adult eyes, is it had a great soundscape. Generally top notch voice acting, nicely hummable inncidental music and the sound effects managed to mix the new (the original Transformation sound is genius, much like Soundwave's voice it's something kids can immitate easily whilst playing) and stock being very well done.
Old July 10 2011, 06:43 AM   #280
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Finally saw this and voted average. I thought overall this was a definite improvement over "Revenge of the Fallen" and though it still has flaws (Ehren Kruger can't seriously think that is how parents talk to their kids nowadays or that is "hip" and "kewl" parent slang or whatever? I still blame him for reducing Judy's character into ridiculous comic fodder) but I still enjoyed it. Rosie Hunginton was good as Carly and was surprised with how much she was given to do in the role. Shia was Shia.

I loved the first half of the movie, the second half was okay but pretty messy. The Decepticons pretty much lived up to their human moniker in this movie to a tee. Megatron was utterly useless once again. Starscream was a farce of his cartoon counterpart. Shockwave was not the villain of the movie and barely had anything to do....Sentinel Prime was the movie's villain and I thought Leonard Nimoy did an okay job. Speaking of Nimoy I loved all the "Star Trek" references scattered throughout the film. Patrick Dempsey was pretty good. It was nice seeing him playing a different character than the ones he normally does.

The score is beautiful. I'm a fan of Steve Jablosky's work. He might have a little Hans Zimmer in him but that's probably to do with the fact that he's worked with Hans before and I believe was a protege of his as well. I am a big fan of the score for all three films.

It will be interesting to see where the future of this franchise lies now with the obvious monster box office in take already and DVD sales most likely projected to go through the roof I doubt Paramount will retire the franchise. I read an article the other day where Don Murphy hinted there could be a fourth one with new characters. There are lots of possibilities where they could take this franchise. I just hope they get a better writer than Kruger. I would give this a C grade.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 10:25 AM   #281
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

^^ I do hope that they do a fourth. Whilst the Transformers movies are hardly Shakepeare they are great fun to watch and I love them for that.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 10:35 AM   #282
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I loved the first half of the movie, the second half was okay but pretty messy.
i'm kinda the opposite here. i thought the first half was a huge mess and the second half was pretty good. a few things though...Megatron didn't do much. i'd have liked to seen more of him. and, when he attacked Sentinel Prime at the end i thought, 'cool, Optimus and Megatron are gonna team up!' didn't happen. i like it when rivals team up against a bigger threat.

Shockwave. would have liked to had more Shockwave in the movie. he was kinda built up and he was barley in the movie. everyone was having their eyes ripped out or shot out in the movie.
Old July 10 2011, 11:19 AM   #283
Pauln6
Commodore

The decision to limit the bot on bot fight scenes was a big improvement. Sometimes the humour felt really forced. Carly was so obviouly just Megan Fox's character with two lines of backstory added. I survived Maggie Gyllenhall replacing Kate Bosworth (or was it the other Katie - whatever) in Dark Knight. I think I could have coped with re-casting the same character.

I hadn't realised (because the fight scenes were such a mess) that so few Autobots had survived the last movie.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2011, 12:18 PM   #284
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Carly was so obviouly just Megan Fox's character with two lines of backstory added.
I dunno, Carly appeared to have had some class, and Michaela was kinda trashy.

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
I survived Maggie Gyllenhall replacing Kate Bosworth
Katie Holmes, not Bosworth. Can't say I missed her much.
Old July 10 2011, 03:18 PM   #285
captcalhoun
Admiral

erm, only 4 died in ROTF: the Arcee trio and Jetfire. Skids and Mudflap survived, as did Jolt. we just don't know where they went in the meantime*. Ironhide, Ratchet, 'Bee, Prime, Sideswipe and Wheelie all returned.

maybe tehy were killed on a special op gone bad or maybe they were killed in a 'Con hunt.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote